The Stories of the Mad Desperado in 2012

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Well it’s a new year (not yet, but from now until 2012 is a mess), a great time to launch a new “blog”. Lets try to catch everyone up since the DH40.

I finished up the rest of the H2H races at Jungle and Blue. I’m sure you read the recaps. I had a great stand in at the H2H awards, which I could not attend:
381959_10150424551083215_501378214_8549708_1315154368_n.jpg

Short Track Race - This was a great event that I’m glad will be returning soon. I felt good chasing some of the big dogs in the open SS class. The no frills event and short race made up for a great morning before BBQing with everyone and their mother. I think these come back in March? Too lazy to look, I’m sure someone will update my calendar soon enough.
319528_10150324202228215_501378214_8123844_1717023588_n.jpg

Cyclocross – This was a great experience in 2011. Met a lot of awesome people and just fell in love with cross this year. Every race had its own personality and things I loved/hated. Overall it was a great way to end the year. No need to go over all of them, you know how it went. The cheering, vibe and adrenaline rush in every race was freaking awesome. We will find out soon. Not sure if I could race mountain bikes after the fun of CX.

Each CX race was special in its own way, but finishing 3rd at the Hillbilly was a great and memorable experience.
339745_10150839616865133_846160132_20986543_1764299413_o.jpg

333169_10150839622480133_846160132_20986613_232344639_o-1.jpg

One new complete bike, one bike gone and one frame introduced to the stable of things. The F29er has been replaced by Norms Air9. Since he has gone all-plastic, Save the planet recycle mode, it was a great bicycle for me to jump into a geared bike. I also have a Gary Fisher Rig frame laying around, so hopefully that will be up and running soon when the SS itch itches.
photo-3.jpg

I ended up with 3,1xx miles for the year on my bicycle. For not really forcing myself to ride or go out in the rain, I am happy with this. Not much productive riding will happen between now and January, so it’s a good time to look back and reflect.

2012 Goals/Plans - We will have to come back to this. It’s the time to start a blog, but isn’t the time to establish goals yet. Of course you always want to do better than you did last year, more miles, better race outcomes, etc. One goal that I will have is to not do too many races. I attended 21 events last year and felt like I still kept the fun factor in all of them. I will probably cut the number of events in half (minus CX) and make a better effort to skip events for others). I bought a trainer, which I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. I’m going to try and make a conscious effort to use it.

This should do for now. I can't promise the winter will be jumpin' in here like the summer, but I will do my best. Keep thinking on adding new stuff, but I will just submit.

Looking forward to reading this and congrats on a great 2011 season. Interested in seeing how the geared thing goes with the muscles of an SS guy.

Nice work this year slappy and congrats on the championship! You get your jersey yet?

Thank you Sir Kevin.

I have 281 hours. Is that good?

Utah, The jersey is in my possession and has been through the was already. It fits me somehow without it looking like a coat hanger.

Last edited:
Utah, The jersey is in my possession and has been through the was already. It fits me somehow without it looking like a coat hanger.

Cool...my wife made a whole shadow box for mine with my medals...it was a small racer cut IIRC...would not have fit a 1/12 scale model of me :)

Heres the breakdown:

Road - 64 Activities - 1,551 miles - 93 hours
CX - 36 Activities - 353 Miles - 30 hours
MTB - 81 Activities - 1,118 miles - 126 hours

Congrats Pearl. I miss you. I rode about the same hours as you but you got like 2x faster. :hmmm: You are a natural.

No, I didn't forget about this. I just didn't have the time to sit down and write this. I also realized I didn't take any pictures, I will work on that.

Saturday We were off to White Clay with a whole gang of people. 1speed, Jared, Larry, Leslie, Forrest, Bill and Lisa. The trails were semi-soggy but nothing too crazy. It was fun to follow a couple of other people around and hit a couple of trails in different directions. It was too nice not to ride, I think it topped out at 60 degrees around 2-3pm.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/112218917

Chowed down at Iron Hill Brewery and had some more laughs. I obviously got the Bacon Cheeseburger and REFUSED to eat Sweet Potato Fries.

Seriously, why mess with a good thing? What was wrong with regular potato fries? I feel like whoever made SPFries was the annoying kid in class that would make his own pencils out of the wood bark from the tree in his backyard. The regular pencil was fine.

Sunday Me and the boss headed out for a road ride. We originally planned on going out to Capers hood in Lambertville, but scrapped that idea for a Sourlands ride I had in my MapMyRide database. Not sure who I stole this road from, but it is golden. Not much car traffic at all and some good scenery. It would be a blast at night as well. So to whoever I took this from, Thanks.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/138076389

We then proceeded to watch the Giants beat up on Mandi's Cowboys at a friends house. She was pissed. Well not that pissed but pissed she was watching the game with a bunch of Giants fans :p

Monday Mandi ended up putting up with me for 5 years, so we decided to head to Jose Tejas for dinner and spend the rest of the day shopping.
I forgot how delicious this place was. I could eat two bowls of chips. Backtracking, lunch was at Sakura Japan in Bridgewater Mall. I'm sure you've heard of this, but it is delicious and needs to be noted. The way the operation is handle is freaking awesome. Some times you don't even talk, some lady stands with a post it pad, writes a couple of Japanese characters and tells you to give it to the lady at the register. Actually, I don't think she tells you to, the next lady just grabs it from you. The assembly line is unreal.

Our Heat
We haven't turned it on for more than 2 minutes in Fall/Winter of 2011, and I think that is going to end tonight. It was a little chilly when we woke up this AM, even for me. What is annoying is every time you hit the temp up button, it has this "click" noise, which sounds like the whole unit is shorting/restarting. I'm going to turn it on when I get home and see what the temperature is at. If it is too low, BFH time.

I will have pictures next time. Until then, freeze your ass off tonight.

congrats again on a great year james! i was looking forward to trying to catch you this year, but if you stay on those gears i'll have catch up with you here.

That appears to be the Wobbedong Sourlands Ride where you actually ride around all the hills in the sourlands (albeit some of my favorite roads in there). It has a whor's category level of 1, which is totally epic.

Jason, Now that I read your description, I remember that ride. I also recalled that spot where Tyler got a flat. Sadly I don't remember anything else from that ride.

I try to ride the dirt as much as possible. I am finding more fun in the road riding, and see it as a key to getting faster. On our road ride Sunday I felt like I had more fun riding the road at a easy pace than I did at White Clay. Something peaceful about it, especially that day. Maybe it was just the beautiful weather and looking at the Sourland-People.

Jason, Now that I read your description, I remember that ride. I also recalled that spot where Tyler got a flat. Sadly I don't remember anything else from that ride.

The wookie on a road bike. How could anyone forget!! :D

Those rides were fun. Kevin falling over at the red light in Cranbury was one of my favorite moments. Always funny to see a guy with tons of hours on the bike come to a stop and fall over like one of those fainting goats. :p

Back
Top Bottom