The only original MTBNJ Woodworking thread!!!!!

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
After much fan fair(2 likes) I bring to you the MTBNJ woodworking thread, not to be confused with "working your wood." This is for all things dead tree carcasses from milling to finishing and everything in between or after(repair). All disciplines welcomed from power machinery to hand tools(Master Race), post what your working on post questions post your set up. First one to lose a finger wins the prize below.

JffpkIRQzV2_R8Nk69wJ41PqSAmA4tnRrJotf-qrPwBxIBL_QRo1Fa9q7WW_1SCtkLpC1B3WoFUqogD1YP45wpV6bvL2GhXZs8KqUQDdz6WaXRgjivyIuSuD4HuuFWa-SDujS1v3a6gNfkI6CPddA_zpANxnXpOsbd_Jv8grpCOBnsvGbyHRmsxTMMpHzXWWI6VpH42nR9D30AwvU7g=s500-pd-e365-rw-pc0xffffff

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
where do you guys buy wood for your projects? planning to build a couple things (covers for the stand up steam radiators to start with) and would like a less expensive place to buy oak or ash for the project.

FTR we live in union, and i have no problems handling up to 10ft lengths for transport.

jklett

Let's do a fly fishing trip at the gorge or black river in the Spring. It's been forever since I've been. What type of blanks do you like to use? I'm thinking to get a 6 footer for the bike
Split bamboo, I have my own tapers I've designed. I'm always up for fishing, let me know when you want to go and I'll figure something out.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
First think on the bench(after I cleared 4 feet worth of space) is a chair someone who shall remain nameless broke. I was just going to repair it but my wife wants a new table so this pig is getting some lipstick.

Breaking it up, needed a clamp(s) to separate it.
IMG_20190114_191120.jpg

A pic of the damage
IMG_20190114_200756338.jpg

Being glued up, bench vise holding the clamp and forcing the leg together for vertical pressure(horizontal in the pic) and then three more clamps keeping it together from front to back. There is no need for a mechanical fastener since the glue is stronger then the wood.

IMG_20190114_202601838.jpg

The rest of the chair waiting for its other bit, once the glue is set and solid I'm going to card scrape everything clean of paint and stain(might use stripper pending wife's stain choice. for its new color scheme. Then I'll do it 3 more times and do the table as well.
IMG_20190114_202633966.jpg

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
After this project I am doing a bench 5 feet wide and 2 feet deep with tool well current bench came with the house its 16 or 20 feet long, has a peg board and its where things go to die. I have a few ideas in sketchup and on paper regarding under bench tool storage since I want to operate independent of walls and using auxiliary saw horses for longer work, but considering I work on only small stuff since I'm 99% hand tools. Long term goals this year is learn to do kumiko, nothing else matters

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
i have no problems handling up to 10ft

Thats what she said....

I go to WoodBoards&Beams in fairfield if its just a quick thing
if I need serious BF I go to PA if I can't find someone on FB market place or CL list
walnut from Fishkill NY, but I hate walnut it freeks my skin out
Exotics Cook woods

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thats what she said....

I go to WoodBoards&Beams in fairfield if its just a quick thing
if I need serious BF I go to PA if I can't find someone on FB market place or CL list
walnut from Fishkill NY, but I hate walnut it freeks my skin out
Exotics Cook woods

Board and beams is where if been looking relatively close to me too so that's a plus

SmooveP

where do you guys buy wood for your projects? planning to build a couple things (covers for the stand up steam radiators to start with) and would like a less expensive place to buy oak or ash for the project.

FTR we live in union, and i have no problems handling up to 10ft lengths for transport.

Monteath in Old Bridge has a good selection of hardwood lumber.

Top Bottom