the NOT SO official 27.5+ thread.

27+??

• On my radar!!

• No clue?

• NOT ANOTHER WHEEEEEEEL SIZE!!!

• 26 forever! This is just aploy to sell more bikes!

• Full fatty only

• I quit riding and just troll

• 29 4-eva

• 27.5 regular /non-plus

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wa
Took my DH bike to MC last Sunday and had a blast. I have been riding xc on 27.5x 3.0 & 2.8 lately and suddenly my DH Tire at 2.4" feel skinny.

Curious if anyone has tried 2.8" tires on a DH bike.

My buddy who rode with me was on his SC Hightower and he had a blast. We Mostly rode the easier stuff

Been watching Hans Rey on IG riding 3.0 tires on his Fury.

I grabbed a set of 2.5" tires today as mine were worn anyway. These may prove a hair wide for my flow ex rims, but I am eager to try a little more volume.

I either feel like there is too much air or I feel the rim bottoming out on occasion.

As a side note, the word across the board from industry types is that nationwide fatbike sales are dying and being replaced by plus. Makes sense to me as you get most of the upside of increased traction w/o the wider crank stance. The exception is in snowy areas, but even Derrick who used to own the fatbike only shop in LI is telling me that he is seeing fatbikes being replaced with plus.
Way back in the day I ran 2.8 Michelins and 3.0 Nokians. At speed there was just too much deflection, especially in fast corners.

I think that putting big tires on narrow rims is a bad idea (2.8+ tires on less than 30mm internal rims). If you ride any type of high speed terrain, you will get casing roll if you ride at lower pressure. You will also burp if you like to jump or ride Mach chicken through rocks. Running 2.5's on Flows will be fine, just don't think you can run ultra low pressures though. Not if you do the things one normally does on a DH bike.

DH tire sizes are also wildly inconsistent. A 2.5 by one brand can be the same as a 2.35 by another.

Current DH racers tend to be real weight-weenies as well, so they want narrow rims and tires no wider and heavier than they absolutely have to be.

Along the 27.5+ front, I have a set of Sun-Ringle Mulefut 50 wheels and a Manitou Magnum fork on order to go on my Vassago Ver Hauen. My team mates down in DC have them and I should pick them up next month while they are at Dirt Fest and I'm at Carlisle (stand by for amusing pictures of large boxes stuffed into a Spitfire).

Dope clip... wish we had trails like this here

There are trails like this around, they're just not that popular (fine by me), and you have to know where they are. If you drive a few hours to VT, you'll find lots of trails like this, and even the vegetation looks the same.

Then there are the jumps. People make them, they get torn down. I understand that rogue trail building is not cool, but there needs to be a balance. Never the less, they are aound too, but more difficult to find.

Ringwood, but that's our little secret ok,don't tell anyone. Only place I know where you can ride 1 mile down after riding 2 miles up lol

velocity blunts

smokem if ya gotem

Just catching up with this thread and realize I am building @soundz wheels!

P1010806.JPG

P1010807.JPG

P1010814.JPG

Very well controlled experiment. I still want to do something similar with my bike. Interesting how even the initial rolling test on a fireroad the plus was faster.

Similar to how I felt after riding that bad habit....Just enough suppleness to the tire without it doing that awful tire roll that I hate about fatbikes. Just amazing in the choppy rocks at high speeds.

One thing that struck me though......25psi on minions? WHAT????? Who the hell would do something like that? Im probably 50lbs heavier than this guy and I run mine at ~17-18...everywhere...in 3 years, I have yet to ever flat one. The case is so thick on a TR EXO minion you can run them nearly flat...like on snow for example, but they are REALLY terrible if you over inflate them...They feel like forklift solid rubber.

Back
Top Bottom