the NOT SO official 27.5+ thread.

27+??

• On my radar!!

• No clue?

• NOT ANOTHER WHEEEEEEEL SIZE!!!

• 26 forever! This is just aploy to sell more bikes!

• Full fatty only

• I quit riding and just troll

• 29 4-eva

• 27.5 regular /non-plus

Results are only viewable after voting.
Update - back from Halters. Unfortunately Enve and Reynolds don't make 27.5+ rims with 32 holes needed for my onyx hubs. Had to go with Whiskey rims. Putting 2.8 nobby nic on front and rocket ron on back.

New bike on the left old bike on the right

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 358
Update - back from Halters. Unfortunately Enve and Reynolds don't make 27.5+ rims with 32 holes needed for my onyx hubs. Had to go with Whiskey rims. Putting 2.8 nobby nic on front and rocket ron on back.

So after 4 rides the verdict is in - noticeable difference in feel and handling, and big difference in climbing - I set PRs on every climb at CR today and wasn't even trying. Also cleaned that high tech switchback climb on yellow for the first time. Head clown @stb222 is wrong again!

So after 4 rides the verdict is in - noticeable difference in feel and handling, and big difference in climbing - I set PRs on every climb at CR today and wasn't even trying. Also cleaned that high tech switchback climb on yellow for the first time. Head clown @stb222 is wrong again!
Very scientific test. I never said it wouldn't be faster but they aren't all they are cracked up to be for the cost. Pun intended.

Let me know what happens when you nail a few rocks. #thetruthisoutthere

So I've been researching regular 27.5 rims since I'm quickly trashing my ARC 27's by riding full-knucklehead. Been looking at the new Flows, XM481's, and ARC27's for comparison. All around 30ish wide internal. All come in between 480-490 grams. By comparison, Enves are 470 a rim, Lite Bicycle around 480, and Nextie as the lightest at 440. Lots of reviews of people breaking the Lite and Nexties, have good warranties though. Enves get good reviews, but $$$$. Bottom line is I would be a fool to choose carbon over aluminum for my purposes for what, 40 grams a wheel at best?

Does this translate to under 30mm rims or does the increased width / surface area of the wider rims allow them to be that much stronger?

@UtahJoe had mention he took the Valors off for training because he didn't want to damage a rim, so makes me wonder
Well not so much bc im worried about breaking them...but I use schwalbe tires for racing...which I like but they wear out fast...So it just nice to have a back up set of wheels to beat on. I put my old tires on them, cheaper cassette.... if I smash a rim or cut a tire, no big deal. Valors are 1330 grams, and I beat the piss out of them in a race...I did crack one valor after 2 seasons of racing...but I also cracked 2 light-bicycle china carbons so...and the valors wheelset is also 250 grams lighter than my lightest china set. But moreso than the weight...the ride and feel of the valors is light years better than the light-bicycle set....my china carbons would make my hands go numb at a place like lewis morris. Just so so stiff. I have come expect anything "super light weight race" to have a fatigue life and eventually break with me beating on it. My valor was repaired in a few days no questions asked, one of my china carbons was replaced for $40 shipping, other one was past the 1 yr warranty, so no dice. Of course the valors cost X, the china set cost me ~$550 with a DT240 rear hub.

I stupidly didn't think to take pictures for comparison, but I was at a teammates' house over the weekend and they have a Ver Hauen like I do and also have a set of WTB Trailblazer 2.8 tires on it. The difference is the rims. Her bike has typical XC rims in the 27mm width range vs. the Ringle Mulefut 50 wheels I'm running. the Overall width and profile of the tires looked substantially different.

I have a new and more aggressive Schwalbe 2.8 front tire to go on my bike, but want to try the bike in current set-up at 6MR before swapping.

i'm officially in the plus hardtail club. only one short ride on it so my opinion is still tainted with new bike stoke - hell "just finally having a mountain bike" stoke. so far, first impressions are very good. definitely a big improvement in ride quality. after a few more hours on it i'll do a review.

Back
Top Bottom