The Longest Day 2021

Hey, real talk. What time does everyone expect to Finish?

95% confidence interval, sometime Saturday.

80% confidence before sunset @ 8:28pm.

Hopefully just managing my own expectations but a lot will depend on the day. Looking to be toasty and windy out.

The last 100 miles are always into a headwind. 100% of the time. Don't get discouraged when it happens. Also it's like 3 hours from when you see the sign for Cape May after Egg Harbor, it will feel like you're almost there. You aren't. The bridge at mile 205 going into Cape May will feel like (insert worst climb you've been up here) but it's all downhill to the lighthouse. You make a right at a pizza place about 2 miles from the end, it will take every fiber of your being to not stop there.

The last 100 miles are always into a headwind. 100% of the time. Don't get discouraged when it happens. Also it's like 3 hours from when you see the sign for Cape May after Egg Harbor, it will feel like you're almost there. You aren't. The bridge at mile 205 going into Cape May will feel like (insert worst climb you've been up here) but it's all downhill to the lighthouse. You make a right at a pizza place about 2 miles from the end, it will take every fiber of your being to not stop there.
Appreciate the managing of expectations.
I shall repeat to myself: “Pizza on the way back. Pizza on the way back.”

20210618_104745.jpg

Out for tomorrow. I wanted to do a fast run and not interested i a headwind/crosswind all day. Enjoy and be safe guys.

Hey, real talk. What time does everyone expect to Finish?
I expected to finish around 8, actually finished at closer to 9:45. My ride time was better than I expected: 14 hours actually moving, about 14:15 with the GPS timer going. No idea where that extra 3 hours came from. I stopped for about 40 minutes for lunch, and then another 15 or so at Hot Diggity Dogs, and then about another 20 or so at a ghetto convenience store about 5 miles from the finish where my body couldn't decide whether to throw up or pass out from the heat. I'll be back next year, and hopefully much faster.

Is this really an indication to you that it's a "good place" - a spot that caters to teenaged whiskey-dicked jackhammering? Or would you just maybe want to reconsider that statement?
When you grow up in Sussex County, you have difference standards. And a good sense of humor.

Official Status/Damage report:

I made it all the way to the lighthouse this year, 211.28 miles, including the 2-3 miles that detour in the Robbinsville area (at least I think it was in that area) added. Started just before 4:30 AM, finished at about 9:45 PM. According to my GPS, total elapsed time was 17:21:39, total time was 14:41:22, and moving time was 14:05:54. avg speed was 14.4 MPH , avg moving speed was 15.0 MPH.

I was shooting for/expecting an avg speed of 15 MPH, so I'm pretty happy with that. I can't figure where the 2:40:00 between my elapsed time and total time went - I didn't think I took that many breaks, or that long of breaks. Already planning what I need to do differently over the next year to speed things up for next summer. Definitely doing it again.

Also Garmin pushed an update of the software for my Edge 530 on the Tuesday or Wednesday before the ride, upgrading it to 8.00. To say that version had a few bugs was an understatement - several times it literally had me going in circles, telling me to make u-turns in an infinite loop. Good thing the route was correct on the map view, - eventually learned to just look at that and ignore the instructions. Whenever I deviated from the route, like for the detour, once I got back on the route, it wanted me to backtrack all the way to where I left the route, rather than continuing on in the direction of the course. At one point in the Brendan T. Byrne state forest, it wanted me to make a right turn into the woods. Up until that update, my Edge 530 was absolutely flawless with directions and navigation. They just pushed version 8.10, so hopefully that fixed those bugs. I honestly probably lost 30-45 minutes trying to figure out whether or not to trust my GPS's instructions.

Back
Top Bottom