The Longest Day 2021

I’m in. Will stay up Friday night so we can get an early start Sat. Hope Jim is right and we average 19+ but I haven’t proven I can sustain that so hope is not a strategy.

I'm planning to leave High Point State Park at 7am. I may ride my SS because I can run a 4 bottle setup on that bike and do 1 stop in Brown Mills at the 200k mark. I've had good success with this plan in the past, as long as it isn't super hot.

Folks - for those interested in joining forces, or just meeting up at the end for a beer, join this WhatsApp group.

AFAIK there are just 4 of us (Lou, Dave, Jim, myself), but likely (hopefully!) others.

15329DE0-CB37-48C2-B6F9-A1372034876F.jpeg

I kinda have to hit it and quit it but we'll see how close we are at the Lighthouse. I don't have WahtsAPP.

Course is always the same base. Sometimes there are re-routes from construction or something. Kevin would drive the route and make sure it was good, but we're on our own now. Worst time was when the bridge in Egg Harbor was out and the Detour was like 20ish miles. I might have that file.
That was 16 when I did it I think. I remember riding west in a headwind and then back east to get on route. The cops wouldn’t let me walk through the river.

I mapped out a modified version of the Monument to Monument and Longest Day Route if anyone is interested. The original route stayed on Rt206 for a lot longer so I used the bypasses from the 2019 TLD. It's about 30 minutes longer but hitting both sites feels like more of an accomplishment than starting at a random red light on Rt23.

I mapped out a modified version of the Monument to Monument and Longest Day Route if anyone is interested. The original route stayed on Rt206 for a lot longer so I used the bypasses from the 2019 TLD. It's about 30 minutes longer but hitting both sites feels like more of an accomplishment than starting at a random red light on Rt23.

I'm not sure I'm even going to make it the whole way, so I'm going to stick with the The Longest Day 2019 for this year. I do like your monument to monument idea. I had I known sooner, I would have booked at room at the Rolling Hills motel in Sussex. I know that's a good place because my friends in high school used to get rooms there to get drunk and have sex on the weekends. You're not going to read that in a Yelp review.

I'm not sure I'm even going to make it the whole way, so I'm going to stick with the The Longest Day 2019 for this year. I do like your monument to monument idea. I had I known sooner, I would have booked at room at the Rolling Hills motel in Sussex. I know that's a good place because my friends in high school used to get rooms there to get drunk and have sex on the weekends. You're not going to read that in a Yelp review.

At least the first 6 miles of the Monument Route are downhill at 60mph.

I know that's a good place because my friends in high school used to get rooms there to get drunk and have sex on the weekends. You're not going to read that in a Yelp review.
Is this really an indication to you that it's a "good place" - a spot that caters to teenaged whiskey-dicked jackhammering? Or would you just maybe want to reconsider that statement?

I've always thought this would be kind of a fun ride to do, but since it generally falls on the weekend closest to the solstice, it coincides with the most important annual event on my ride calendar - the world's longest off-road brewery tour. Maybe next year - I think the solstice falls closer to mid-week in '22, so I'll have a choice of two weekends for the "tour". (Very tempted to plan this because, you know, that way I'll perhaps get to spend a Friday evening drifting off to the dulcet tones of another young lady's first experience with the semi-hard and all too swift reality of "lowered expectations".)

This board is full of hopeless romantics. 😆
I'll perhaps get to spend a Friday evening drifting off to the dulcet tones of another young lady's first experience with the semi-hard and all too swift reality of "lowered expectations"

Downhill sounds like a nice start but we’re staying in port Jervis Fri night and won’t have a ride in the morning.

now at least we know your secret Jim. Weigh down the bike with 100mi worth of food and drinks, start at a high point, coast the whole way!

With age comes experience. I'll wave when I caost by on your guys 20th Sag Stop 🤣

Easy there killa. :)

Two planned SAG stops and a few more adhoc refill/relief stops anticipated. If you do fly by just don’t drink all the beers at the finish!

No worries, I don't drink so you can have all the Beer you want 😉

Back
Top Bottom