The Kalmyk's Tinfoil Hat Happy Hour (aka Most Useless Thread on MTBNJ)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For a reference, see this thread.

Looking to see if any racers want to take part in this? Luke and I already have Tumblr accounts setup and the RSS feed is currently being dumped into his Robot Lords of Tokyo thread.

You would need a smart phone of some sort for this.

You have 3 options:

1. Set up your own feed so your posts are tied to your username
  2. Use a generic feed that I can setup for the community
  3. Just surf to the thread on race day and post

If you have an iPhone you can use the Tumblr App which appears to be the best so far. You'd be able to post pics with comments on-the-fly. You can also send emails to the Tumblr account which get posted to the feed, and then to the thread. You can send texts also, but I've seen a delay of 2 days, so I do not recommend that.

If you're going to be there, have a smart phone, and are interested, post up here or send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

RNG1

This was super cool at the last race when Luke was doing this. Of course I don't understand it whatsoever as I don't commute on the space shuttle like Tim but it was fun to read even after the race. Is my bb smart enough to participate? And does this fall in to the catagory of don't text and drive (ride)?

gtluke

The Moped
Yeah you can do it Rob, all you have to do is email whatever you want to say to a specific email address and it automagically gets posted in the live blogging thread. The question being is are you going to do it enough to set up your own account so they come in under your name, or do you just want to post into the mtbnj generic account, and you can like sign it RNG or something so we know.
Norm and I have been using tumblr to do it, it's just a service that you can very easily add pictures or test to that converts it to an RSS feed, and we at mtbnj can convert an mtbnj into a stream of posts.
Anyone can just browse to the thread and make posts from a smart phone anyway. But for me I have only seconds between racers that I can use my phone, so tumblr makes it easier. Between race classes I'll be using the tapatalk app so I can read what you guys are saying. The tumblr/email thing also helps when cell coverage is spotty. Sending an email is much much easier when you have like 1 bar of edge service. At waway I had great 3g service so browsing was fine.

Last edited:

RNG1

Cool! Thanks Luke!

(uh, norm text me later and tell me what to do as I read what he wrote 5x and I have no idea what he is talking about but I don't want to come across as being stupid.)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll set you up today. We can't have you posting as a generic account.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Make this work on my blackberry since at&t will most likely have zero service at tymor. :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Live blog post:

This is Norm posting from Rob’s feed.

So first question for everyone. Do you guys like/dislike the "Live blog post:" at the top? I added this so people know it's coming from the live feed.

Make this work on my blackberry since at&t will most likely have zero service at tymor. :)

Setup an account on Tumblr.com. Use a domain like utahjoe.tumblr.com when you sign up. Then in the "goodies" tab it will tell you what email you can send your messages to.

Once you're setup tell me what your domain is and I'll feed it into this also. I did it for Rob because...it's just easier that way.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So first question for everyone. Do you guys like/dislike the "Live blog post:" at the top? I added this so people know it's coming from the live feed.

Setup an account on Tumblr.com. Use a domain like utahjoe.tumblr.com when you sign up. Then in the "goodies" tab it will tell you what email you can send your messages to.

Once you're setup tell me what your domain is and I'll feed it into this also. I did it for Rob because...it's just easier that way.

I did set one up already so I can follow lukes stuff...at lunch ill mess with it.

Glancing Aft

I saw that the latest version of the mapmyride app for the iphone has live tracking of friends. You guys should setup a widget to let us stalk you using it ;)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Ok, you're in. Test it by sending an email to your feed - you can find the address in the "goodies" tab.

I saw that the latest version of the mapmyride app for the iphone has live tracking of friends. You guys should setup a widget to let us stalk you using it ;)

Apparently the BB has this ability too. Luke actually opened up this subject. If Utah and I do it, at least you'll get 2 people on the map :)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, you're in. Test it by sending an email to your feed - you can find the address in the "goodies" tab.

Ok done, posted to my feed. Now im guessing that I need to install software on my bb?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I was curious how you did this as well. I'd like to do this (not at the tymor event) as my own blog to update when on the road, as well as in front of the computer. I can grab the tumblr app for my palm pre, but how do you dump it into a thread? Is that on your end Norm?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Photo

Live Blog Post:

tumblr_l2qb32KJ6y1qc15vao1_400.jpg

Top Bottom