The July 31/31 Classic p/b Halter's, JORBA, & MTBNJ

July 2
a.m. again
1:22
Cloudy with intermittent rain, so it was nice to not have to slather on sunblock.

F9B82D2A-46C5-4C0F-81F4-A0CAC6129D1B.jpeg
1103FEDD-5195-4EC9-8A66-5761471DE459.jpeg

7/2 - https://strava.app.link/cubneFZSzhb
1625274305949.png

Couldn't get out yesterday, and it didn't look good for today. Then I said fuck it, let's go bowling. I must have just missed a thunderstorm, because it was pretty wet with puddles in unusual places. The ride basically sucked balls, but then it got pitch black and all of a sudden I could see endless lightning bugs. Then there was thunder and lightning and heavy rain. Win some, lose some; at least I'm dry and happy now.

Took a half day and thought "my cross bike hasn't seen love in two years", so decided to actually do maintenance on it. That is not an exaggeration btw, it's been ridden and put away through some pretty dank stuff in that time, and besides chain lube, not maintained. Fortunately it isn't my go-to bike, but still. Since this month will almost certainly call on that bike, I headed to the garage.

I figured lube the chain, check air pressure, wipe it down and roll out. A quick squeeze of the front brake (canti-stop-wont-stop) and the lever hit the bars. The bar tape was super rough, and had electrical tape repairs. Rear brake similar. How did I even ride this the last time?

So I head out to the LBS, Beacon Cycling in Northfield for new bar tape. It was nice to catch up with @Scott W, Susanna and Mitch. Somehow in the spam of 5 minutes Scott managed to put in a JORBA equipment order for 3 different things. He's built many miles of trails in the locals, how can I resist?!

Back to the garage after a quick stop at the bottle shop across the street from Beacon for overpriced holiday weekend libations. Commenced operation wtfhappenedtomycrossbike. 2 hours later, here is the list:
  • Change tires from knobbies to file tread 40c's
  • New sealant
  • True f&r wheels
  • New brake cables/housing, Gore set that was on the bench for 2 years came in handy
    • Replaced front brake barrel adjuster that was bent to f because old housing was too long
  • New bar tape/caps
  • Adjust front derailleur
  • Lube f/r shift cables and bits
  • Re-pack both pedals after finding drive side XT spd pedal body loose af
  • Clean everything, including 2 years worth of brake dust and muck on rims, which was about 2 pounds worth
  • Lube chain
  • Pack tools/tube/CO2/stuff into a speed sleeve
  • Add gascan bag
So this July thing has already motivated me to do something I likely would have blown off until #crossishere. I then set out to explore outside of my door, something I've always loved. The bike is a perfect tool to see a town.

strava7732304768264347268.jpg

20210702_200350.jpg

20210702_200811.jpg

20210702_193524.jpg

20210702_182858.jpg

Last edited:
It took multiple attempts to get my full hour in today, but mission accomplished. I know, the milage is sucko, but it takes some serious effort to ride serious PT laps, especially in the rain. I added the last late night mile in around the hood, after watching game three of the Stanley Cup Finals, just make sure I got the full hour

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210702-211034.png
    Screenshot_20210702-211034.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20210702-211058.png
    Screenshot_20210702-211058.png
    300.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20210702-232503.png
    Screenshot_20210702-232503.png
    251 KB · Views: 44
Got the kids out for another ride and couldn't get through a half hour without a stop at the park for them, and they really didn't want to be in the trailer for another half hour after the park. Not sure how much of this they're gonna put up with.
Screenshot_20210702-235739.png

Later on in the day had an emergency trip up north to deal with some family stuff. 3 hours of driving and a couple hours in the emergency room later and I got back home in enough time to finish up the ride with 15 minutes to spare!
Screenshot_20210702-234414.png

Got the kids out for another ride and couldn't get through a half hour without a stop at the park for them, and they really didn't want to be in the trailer for another half hour after the park. Not sure how much of this they're gonna put up with.
View attachment 160984
Later on in the day had an emergency trip up north to deal with some family stuff. 3 hours of driving and a couple hours in the emergency room later and I got back home in enough time to finish up the ride with 15 minutes to spare!
View attachment 160985

I think we are going through the same battle finished with a minute to spare I'm covered in spackle dust with the rain it ran into my eyes

its to early in the month for rides with lights

Day 3/31
Woke up to light rain and drizzle. Kept the ride local to Sao Pedro de Moel. Wet cobblestones are not fun. Took one of the roads out of town through some eucalyptus trees which had a very surreal vibe in the wet.

Next few days will be tough, not able to travel with a bike. Will probably be able to get city bike or equivalent ride in Lisbon. Will then need to be creative to make the daily goal.

A7EC0AF5-EA78-42BD-80F0-0F6575DFFF29.jpeg

Day 3

Started out in the dark, with a bit of mist and kinda wishing I'd worn a jacket and tights with temps in the low 60's. So I did a couple of interval laps on River Rd until my empty stomach protested, but they did a good job of warming me up. Slow spin down to Bristol. The Coast Guard tug on the dock was interesting to see (it was actually there yesterday as well).
1625306889978.png

With rain in the forecast for most of the day and the World Cup DH starting at 6:30, I wanted to get my ride in early.

Back
Top Bottom