The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

iman29

Oh yeah, really need to have less air in tubes, less than one would think for the side to side rocking. Your core will keep it centered like when riding. Easy pedaling with no hands on the bars will have the natural movement. Yes it takes a little counterpressure to have same as road movement and pedal movement, but doesn't take long. More free side to side makes this better.
Looks great and I recognize those shoes ;-)

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
So Zwift is launching Makuri Island today. It looks pretty cool. I haven't been able to ride indoors in a few months because my back is really not happy on a trainer right now, but hoping that I can at least check this one out (though not today - low humidity 80+ degree days in the east in May are like unicorns, so I'm chasing that outside as soon as I can finish up work today!) It looks like you'd want to use a gravel bike for most of the good stuff. If anyone does get a ride in there, please post a review.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So Zwift is launching Makuri Island today. It looks pretty cool. I haven't been able to ride indoors in a few months because my back is really not happy on a trainer right now, but hoping that I can at least check this one out (though not today - low humidity 80+ degree days in the east in May are like unicorns, so I'm chasing that outside as soon as I can finish up work today!) It looks like you'd want to use a gravel bike for most of the good stuff. If anyone does get a ride in there, please post a review.

Pretty small world, looks to me:

Perimeter loop is less than 10 miles.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
It’s a new base world. The intention is to continue to add on until it’s bigger than watopia. They want the freedom to expand w/out being tied to actual location constraints. Can’t change topography of known places.... Central Park being the exception of course.

Edit: Watopia isn’t going away... this is in addition to.

1speed

It’s a new base world. The intention is to continue to add on until it’s bigger than watopia. They want the freedom to expand w/out being tied to actual location constraints. Can’t change topography of known places.... Central Park being the exception of course.

Edit: Watopia isn’t going away... this is in addition to.
I kind of figured that was the case since this place looks like an island but not one that actually exists, so it's kind of the first world since Watopia that could be expanded without constraint. Pretty much everything else they've done has parameters (even NYC, although their decision to make it the "Central Park of the future" was a cool way to add new challenges and options.) Watching their teaser video, I couldn't help but think of Westworld's introduction of "Shogun World" on the show - the atmosphere they create in the video is just reminiscent of that part of the show.

On that note, I wonder if Zwift could ever expand beyond its current format as a training app. And by that I mean if it could ever become more like a real MMRPG for cyclists, where you could actually move through the world as, say, a bikepacker on genuine multi-day journeys. Right now, if you stop a ride, when you come back in you have to start over. But it'd be something if they ever got it to the point where you could take a virtual bikepacking trip where you could ride from one location and stop at a certain point and when you come back in, that's where you pick up again. I think to make that viable, they'd need the game to evolve where the worlds become less finite than they currently are. It'd have to be more like a real world building enterprise than the training app it is now, and I'm not sure that's what they'd even want it to be. I don't play any of those games, but I do know they are usually massive enterprises that need more users than Zwift has right now to be viable, so it may not be a possibility. But I think the idea of it is kind of interesting.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I find the idea fascinating and if there was a route like the 2000+ mile Continental Divide Trail I would absolutely dive into that. It would need to be as realistic as possible though.

I was saying to @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST that Zwift really needs to add some long haul routes. Like a 70 mile perimeter loop.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I find the idea fascinating and if there was a route like the 2000+ mile Continental Divide Trail I would absolutely dive into that. It would need to be as realistic as possible though.

I was saying to @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST that Zwift really needs to add some long haul routes. Like a 70 mile perimeter loop.
As much as I agree with you. I would never sit in front of my computer for that long.
BTW. When's the next century? September??

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I kind of figured that was the case since this place looks like an island but not one that actually exists, so it's kind of the first world since Watopia that could be expanded without constraint. Pretty much everything else they've done has parameters (even NYC, although their decision to make it the "Central Park of the future" was a cool way to add new challenges and options.) Watching their teaser video, I couldn't help but think of Westworld's introduction of "Shogun World" on the show - the atmosphere they create in the video is just reminiscent of that part of the show.

On that note, I wonder if Zwift could ever expand beyond its current format as a training app. And by that I mean if it could ever become more like a real MMRPG for cyclists, where you could actually move through the world as, say, a bikepacker on genuine multi-day journeys. Right now, if you stop a ride, when you come back in you have to start over. But it'd be something if they ever got it to the point where you could take a virtual bikepacking trip where you could ride from one location and stop at a certain point and when you come back in, that's where you pick up again. I think to make that viable, they'd need the game to evolve where the worlds become less finite than they currently are. It'd have to be more like a real world building enterprise than the training app it is now, and I'm not sure that's what they'd even want it to be. I don't play any of those games, but I do know they are usually massive enterprises that need more users than Zwift has right now to be viable, so it may not be a possibility. But I think the idea of it is kind of interesting.

Could do with google streetview and turn on AR for translation of signs, and quick info.

1speed

Could do with google streetview and turn on AR for translation of signs, and quick info.
But that would limit it to the real world, wouldn't it? They could theoretically create their own world and make it fully expansive like any other MMRPG - like @Norm 's idea to have a Tour Divide route, but they could make their own so that it goes across their world - i.e., ride from tropical jungles through mountain passes and into dense forests or even moonscapes. That is, Zwift's Tour Divide could be in a world that doesn't actually exist.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
As a gift to myself for not f@cking up the 31/31 thing, I bought myself a Tacx NEO 2T to replace my Kickr 17 which was getting a little long in the tooth. Holy F*ck this thing is cool. It changes gradient soooo much better than the Kickr17 it’s ridiculous. That road effect thing is friggen cool. Only had wooden boards and a small paver section on this course… but I can see the potential. Maybe I’ll spend a little more time in watopia and less on couch-topia this winter….😳

Kickr is going to my riding buddy. It’s a hell of an upgrade from the friction trainer he’s been riding 3 days a week since his angioplasty about this time last year.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If anyone is looking for a solid evening Zwift ride. The Wednesday 7:45 Google ride is really good.
1628728210981.jpg
1628728314779.jpg

Shaggz

A strong 7
Competitive Cyclist is having a sale on the Tacx Neo2, which brings it in line with the Wahoo Kickr. Any compelling reason to choose one over the other or is it just close eyes and pick?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Competitive Cyclist is having a sale on the Tacx Neo2, which brings it in line with the Wahoo Kickr. Any compelling reason to choose one over the other or is it just close eyes and pick?

i had the kickr 16 and now have the neo2. Both are great, I prefer the neo2, Though I do miss being able to use the climb. The neo2’s (or at last the one I have) rear dropouts (my bike is QR) doesn’t rotate so elevation change accessories aren’t viable at this time. The reason I preferred the neo2 is the fact that it flexes when you pedal. The others are too static for my comfort if that makes any sense. Even the kickr5 and the rocking feet barely move fore me. The road feel thing is kinda neat too.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Check DCRAINMAKER website for trainer deals. This winter is looking much better than last when there were no deals to be had.

trener1

Just a word for those in the market for a trainer, REI is having the memebr sale now and you can use the 20% off coupon in some of the trainers.

Top Bottom