The Good Deals Thread

It’s on sale because they just came out with the version with a camera. Still a great deal.
From the quick look at DC Rainmaker's review of the new one, it seems like buying the old one on discount is the way to go.

I have yet to hear anyone with a Varia say they don't love it.

It’s on sale because they just came out with the version with a camera. Still a great deal.
Yup, though the reviews so far are not kind to the camera version (RCT715). Those considering the camera version should check out the reviews from GPLama and DC Rainmaker.

Yup, though the reviews so far are not kind to the camera version (RCT715). Those considering the camera version should check out the reviews from GPLama and DC Rainmaker.
Garmin devices are usually pretty buggy for the first few SW releases. Than they get it right. This will probably be the same.

Garmin Varia RTL515 Radar and Light

On sale today for $149.99 pretty much everywhere, so pick your favorite place to shop and check for the sale.

Amazon, BikeTiresDirect, PerformanceBike, Jenson USA, etc...

For those that do road and haven't jumped on the radar bandwagon you should definitely consider it.
Thanks for the tip! I saw this on sale at REI.

I don't use a computer on my bikes, but I ride with a smart smartphone in my pocket, and it seems that the Varia needs some sort of Garmin cyclocomputer or smartphone as a display. Not sure how useful it would be to pair the Varia with a smartphone in my pocket and have it use tone alerts for approaching vehicles.

I switched from using the cycliq to the varia last year. Having a camera and radar in one sounds nice, but I like having the varia so much better than the cycliq.

Thanks for the tip! I saw this on sale at REI.

I don't use a computer on my bikes, but I ride with a smart smartphone in my pocket, and it seems that the Varia needs some sort of Garmin cyclocomputer or smartphone as a display. Not sure how useful it would be to pair the Varia with a smartphone in my pocket and have it use tone alerts for approaching vehicles.
I wouldn't find the tone alerts to be useful alone, but the tones are different for detection and all clear (if you have that one enabled). I know that I don't always notice the tone alert, so seeing the radar on my computer is a necessity for me.

For all those looking for 5-10s

Happened to be down in Raritan right now so stopped into Burlington to check in any 5-10 shoes for the 15 year old. They have nothing right now. actually a big store compared to Ledgewood but very slim selection.

Peter, not just a $40I wouldn't find the tone alerts to be useful alone, but the tones are different for detection and all clear (if you have that one enabled). I know that I don't always notice the tone alert, so seeing the radar on my computer is a necessity for me.
Good to know, thanks.

I have been thinking about getting a gps computer for biking, instead of sometimes using a dumb $40 cyclocomputer. I was wondering about the Hammerhead, and I imagine that the Garmin Varia will not work with that.

I usually get by with Strava on my watch, and pulling my phone out of my pocket for looking at maps.

Good to know, thanks.

I have been thinking about getting a gps computer for biking, instead of sometimes using a dumb $40 cyclocomputer. I was wondering about the Hammerhead, and I imagine that the Garmin Varia will not work with that.

I usually get by with Strava on my watch, and pulling my phone out of my pocket for looking at maps.
The Varia radar is compatible with non-Garmin computers, but my personal experience is only with Garmin. The Hammerhead Karoo 2 should work with the Varia.

On the way home from meeting a friend in from out of town in Jersey city for lunch and a beer took the long way home and stopped into Burlington East Hanover for the 15 year old who’s dying for a pair of 5-10s and scored these in his size 11. The only pair in the whole store. !!

They do have the spot for clips on the bottom but he’s gonna run flat pedals just hoping the blank spot for the SPD doesn’t mess him up.

C240B0EB-1FF5-4FFA-88C5-E7D514D1F1CF.jpeg

hey all - Pactimo has the summer sale going on right now. today they shared an email with all the MTB stuff on sale.

While I can usually offer my 30% buddy discount as one of the Brand Ambassadors, they disable them for the duration of the summer sale since these prices are even better than that anyway.

Good to know, thanks.

Wahoo is simplest, crashest the least and varia works great with it. Garmin is about as glitchy as they come.

Dave, you're like my parents that bought a Chevy in the 70s and so therefore say never buy a Chevy as they are junk.

Back
Top Bottom