The Goatriders Horde!!

for alot of people, including myself, there is so much crap going on and some of us are getting out when we can, sometimes at very short notice, or with limited time. Letely when I ride mtb, I start between 5:00 am and 5:30, which most people won't even think about riding then...

also, when I do get out, unless I have a huge chunk of time, I want to ride, not wait for people. I have done a handful of group rides and always seems to break off because they were going to slow and I am an impatient little ass. Call me selfish, but when I get out to ride, I wanna ride. If I could find people to ride with early on Sundays, I would gladly ride with them...

The days of hanging at the trails (jumps) and digging/riding are long goen for me right now...

For what it's worth, I've got a true "intermediate" paced ride up at Blue this Saturday at 9:30. We stop at all but the most obvious trail junctions, for photo ops (usually nice rollers), and particularly challenging "do-overs" of which there are usually quite a few cos we plan on hitting the real techy Debacle trail (among many others). If you don't stop off at the (near) mandatory microbrew at The Firehouse you'll probably be back home by 1:30.

I agree that it's a drag that there aren't more group rides. I love meeting folks and spreading the stoke and all that good stuff, but the restrictions of travelling to riding spots and then getting everybody's priorities to mesh make it difficult to get it together very often. Living where I am doesn't help too much beyond the usual Monmouth County spots, either.

It would be cool if the summer sees at least a little more action on this front. I like to see/hear about it happening even if I'm not able to be involved- it's just good for the sport and the people doing it.

Hi Brett!

Brett, you are correct that I have been opting for solo riding. By far, my favorite rides have been group rides, some that stand out are a Allamuchy ride led by YTC, the MD ride with Walter & crew and chasing a Wookie around Hartshorne.

TBH, the hardest part for me is slicing out the several hour commitment necessary to get those rides in. It is even hard for me to find the time to get in the woods, which is why almost 70 percent of my riding has been on the road this year. Do I like that? No, but it just is easier to fit into my family schedule.

I think Clark brought up a point about sandbagging casual rides. The other part of the group dynamic I just don't get is how a casual ride gets turned into a full bore effort right out of the gate. I can see why folks are gun shy about going on group rides especially at some of the more technical parks up North.

I guess it comes down to who is leading the ride. I have never been on a Phat ride, but I hear he is a great ride leader. Say what you want about Sean, but he was a good leader. YTC, another awesome leader. Norm, not so much.

I would love nothing more than to see more rides scheduled on this board. At one time, we even spoke about having mixed rides where we can match non-advanced riders with more experienced ones, a skills clinic of sorts. However, the three of us fat asses can not seem to put it together. The H2H races taper off after the 29th and do not pick up again until the fall, so...
Wasn't harpin on ya. Just letting you and Jake know AGAIN that I am basically unemployed and if you'd like company I'm around....

IME the group always rips outta the gate. When I lead a ride I will respond to whoever jumps off the front just so they know I can hang and than back off to keep the others movin.This lets the front know who's boss, but in those minutes some of the slower folks get a little worked up. I have a blast w/ most "hobbyist" rides cause they're just so pumped to be on trails they were nervous to explore and they seem very relaxed that all the orienteering is my prob. Fast guys like to play games(which i like too) but it can really demoralize some people. The only thing i HATE:getsome: are the "apoligizers". Sorry I'm holdin you up,etc,etc,etc. IF I LEAVE THE CAR W YOU, I'VE ACCEPTED THE TERMS OF YOUR ABILITY AND WILL STAY W YOU TIL YOUR SAFELY BACK AT YOUR VEHICLE, SO STOP W THE WHINEY FKN APOLOGIES!! That said w/ some notice and a TRUE gauge of your pace/distance I am available to take whoever out into a park up here that they don't know well enough...............

I know you weren't. The lack of group rides up this way is pretty sad, and that was my manifesto to let you now I agreed with your post.

I agree that it's a drag that there aren't more group rides. I love meeting folks and spreading the stoke and all that good stuff, but the restrictions of travelling to riding spots and then getting everybody's priorities to mesh make it difficult to get it together very often. Living where I am doesn't help too much beyond the usual Monmouth County spots, either.

It would be cool if the summer sees at least a little more action on this front. I like to see/hear about it happening even if I'm not able to be involved- it's just good for the sport and the people doing it.

Hi Brett!

Can't wait to see you and Fred again!! Been way too long.......

Wasn't harpin on ya. Just letting you and Jake know AGAIN that I am basically unemployed and if you'd like company I'm around....

ok, ok. i hear ya. soon amigo, soon. you're not off the radar i'm just jammed up with work lately and haven't been able to play hookie to the extent that i'd like.

hey, this looks to be an excellent opportunity for one of those group ride things!

Indeed it has been way too long, brother. As Fred says, after he gets back from Cape Cod, we'll be heading up your way.

If i ever get my stimulus check so i can buy some tires I'll be headed south as well.......

brett, if we can get a day figured out you can drive to my house and we'll car pool it. gotta be early though.

So i finally got my pooh together and got to the Tues nite Martys ride. It was great to ride w/ TC and all the locals again. The north Warren boys seem to center on a 32/20-21 SS while my usual north Sussex crew are 32/17-19. Now nobody's as fast as Badline (on a good day) but these guys were killin me w/ the little gear. They looked like a pack of gerbils in the flats but would kill me on climbs. It was a bit frustrating for the first half but in the end i started to create some new SS countermeasures that i will try from the start next week. That Minute 29r is gettin better every ride except for that DAMN CLICK and I,m looking forward to maybe personally testing my first prototype Pike/Reba within the next couple weeks.

Your riding a single speed? HUH?! WHAT?! *smacks self in head* is this like a birthday present? I must be wrong here.

Back
Top Bottom