The EXTREMELY Fuzzy Dog Adoption Thread!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
As you may have read, my wife and I volunteer with a dog rescue. Shaggz was nice enough (thank you!) to allow me to post the latest dog we're fostering up on the board. This will (hopefully) be a recurring thing as they come and go.

Just so you all know, there is no urgency or pressure here. Any dog you see has already been pulled from whatever bad deal they were in. They have been vetted and spayed/neutered if the dog is young and/or healthy enough.

Any dog you adopt is returnable if it doesn't work out. The application process can be a pita but we generally have a lot of time and effort into each dog and want them to go to a good home.

The website: www.cominghomerescue.org

I didn't rewrite his bio yet so I'll wing it.
Meet Diego. He's a young, smallish (but stocky) Jack Russell/Beagle/Pittie mix? Maybe 20-25 lbs, black with white, and brindle on the legs. Kinda cool looking, actually. He's a super nice dog, very sweet, great with people and loves other dogs.

He is about a year+, so pretty high energy and still getting into shoes and stuff. He listens pretty good and doesn't persist if you want him to cool it. A little jumpy but we're working on that.

Diego is fine with being crated, doesn't freak out or anything. He has no food or toy aggressions that we can see. Totally ok with our three year old daughter. I rode the bike around the back yard and he didn't mind it a bit. We're working on housebreaking...

The little guy is pretty comical and has a lot of personality. Alert, does the doggie head cock all the time. Walks ok (not great, better than your average shelter dog) on lead. And if you ask nice, I'll tell you his "spot" to get his rear leg going when you pet him. :)
Overall, he's a pretty cool little dude who has a lot to offer.

pic with his new "mom"
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/ooklathemoc/2012-03-18201627.jpg
Bio:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22235938

Last edited:
Just to keep updated, Diego was adopted this past weekend. Family has a nice beagle for him to play with.
We'll probably end up fostering Lexie again at some point (had her the week before Diego) if anyone wants info on her.
Cheers!

Awesome! Keep me posted if you come across any non-shredders good with other dogs/kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's good stuff...adoptions make the rescue world go 'round. We get to pull more dogs, the new family is happy, volunteer morale is good...etc.

Shaggz, you mean like Poodle/Schnauzer/'Doodle, hair instead of fur kinda thing or non-chewer? Dunno if it was supposed to be shredder or shedder!

Thanks for the kind words, gang. Some days it's a blast, other days it's cleaning up another fresh puddle of...something. :D

We adopted a Rhodesian Ridgeback from a kill shelter off of Petfinder - great website and a great dog !

Thanks for posting this.

Attachments

• jess 025.jpg
    jess 025.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 58
Those who foster are truly wonderful and special ppl. Since adopting our crazy boy Nacho we have helped out a few shelters in our area. There are so many wonderful pets out there!

We go back and forth on whether we should foster. Maybe once some of the craziness settles around us we will bring in some pups from the streets.

You guys rock!

There are few things better than rescuing pets--fostering them is one of them! I applaud the work you are doing on behalf of the homeless fuzzy ones. This thread made my day :)

And here's the latest. Tilly. I was a little hesitant to post her, as she's something of a PITA (I think) but overall a pretty nice dog. So here goes.
Bio: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22637812

Very small beagle mix, 15 pounds or so. Supposedly 3 years old. I think she looks a little older but might just be wear and tear. Teeth are nice and white, so the age could be correct. Her right eye is cloudy/non-functional, but it doesn't seem to slow her down a bit.

She can be shy and a bit timid but is quickly getting over that. She's great with other dogs and fine with my three year old daughter. No food or toy aggression that we've seen. As soon as you touch her she goes full submissive, as if she's been roughly handed. But she keeps coming to you looking for more so it hasn't affected her. She's a HORRIBLE mooch, constantly begging for food. And she ain't exactly skinny. :D

She is pretty funny, she loves to be in the yard, burrowing in the leaves or under something. She will try to play with the big dogs and scoots around rather well for such a little thing. Somehow she's always underfoot, dunno how she manages that. Angie ran her over a couple times, maybe she'll learn!

Downsides, she is working on the housebreaking, so we crate her. She does go outside, and her system is still a little off, so that will get better. She also whines and barks while in the crate, but doesn't try to escape. She just lets you know she's not thrilled. She is fine sleeping there all night and will often go in by herself. Also seems happy enough to chew on doggie toys.

If interested contact me or the rescue direct. Any questions I'm happy to answer.
Thanks gang!

New dog: Jax!

My wife came home Saturday with a new (unannounced) foster, so I'm trying to move the sucker fast!:D Anyway, he's a pretty cool little guy. His bio is below. He loves kids, we walked him yesterday at the ballfield; he was mobbed and loved every minute of it!

He's young but hasn't had an accident in the house and is rock solid in the crate. A little barky and jumpy, which is normal for a pup (and he ain't bad) also will steal stuff. I found him ON the dining room table licking my soup bowl the other day! He's quick, funny, and sweet, should only get better as he mellows out. Contact me or the rescue if interested.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23463419

Mastiff added for scale.
2012-07-23184119-1.jpg

Last edited:
Tommy

Dave, Just to add a fuzzy dog to the topic....and keep the drumbeat going for Rescue...here is our latest, a rescued Springer....Tommy.

Attachments

• tommy.jpg
    tommy.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 33
Wow ... Tommy looks like the twin brother of my English Setter Rigby. sent pic to wife

Last edited:
I'm always looking for another min pin if you find one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And we're up! We've got Kenzie, a 1 year-old Plott Hound. Don't know what a Plott Hound is? I didn't either, first time I saw one I called it a "Tiger Beagle." Which I still think is cooler, but wrong. Anyway, it's basically a mid-sized hound variant, with a darker brindle coat. Good looking dogs, actually.

So, Kenzie is pretty much your usual young spitfire of a dog. 100% housebroken (whines to go out), sweet as heck, loves kids and other dogs. Little bit of a chewer, but not as bad as many. Maybe 30-40 pounds, lean, long-legged hound build with the requisite hound floppy ears. She will play fetch but prefers to launch full-speed airborne kamikaze attacks on my dogs.

She's ok on the leash until she hits a scent, then full-on tracking mode begins. She's plenty playful, decent manners and learns pretty darn fast. She knows where the leashes are, and sulks when it's time to go in the crate. Which, incidentally, she's great with, no crying or trying to bust out. She got into our routine within a few days.

My biggest debate is a home with or without another dog. She's awesome with dogs, and if you're looking for "a dog for my dog" she'd be perfect. Thing is, if say you're looking for a trail dog to train, she might focus on the other dog rather than you, a bit. Otherwise, if you're looking for a playful mid-sized pup with decent house manners, give me a call!
Oh, she barks, not bay.

Scroll down to Kenzie, lower left.

http://cominghomerescue.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=87&Itemid=54

Another video:
It looks one-sided, but this morning Angie (the Mastiff) had Kenzie by the collar and was throwing her around like a rag doll.:)
http://youtu.be/3IXHAnODz7s

Back
Top Bottom