The end of an era - we need your vote

Should the "Like" button on this site be eliminated

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
back on the old software everyone would always write something, now theres like 4 people providing all the content, not including myself

Mountain Bike Mike

@stb222 Your argument was about "bloggers"... Blog sites include those features.

MTBNJ is a forum where people use threads as blogs. but you know that already. Based on that use case, the reader / blogger need to rely on the three different methods to determine if people are interested:
1. Like
2. reply / comment
3. Views count

rick81721

Lothar
@stb222 Your argument was about "bloggers"... Blog sites include those features.

MTBNJ is a forum where people use threads as blogs. but you know that already. Based on that use case, the reader / blogger need to rely on the three different methods to determine if people are interested:
1. Like
2. reply / comment
3. Views count

Does anyone actually look at views count? Or really care about likes? The other board I've been on much longer than this one ditched likes a long time ago.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

1. Like
2. reply / comment
3. Views count
Does anyone actually look at views count? Or really care about likes? The other board I've been on much longer than this one ditched likes a long time ago.
When you are trying to get sponsors for bicycle type racing events, yes. Or just sponsors in general.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i'm in the bucket of keep it. the like button is nice, especially if someone says something funny and i don't want to post "good one".
thats really the only time it should be used... like when you show up to a thread and want to make a joke, scroll down and someone already beat you to it. even then, make a new comment, shittt

THE COMMUNITY NEEDS YOU

Glenlivet12

200px-Bot%C3%B3n_Me_gusta.svg.png

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
THE COMMUNITY NEEDS YOU

i know you're not directing this directly at me, but it got me thinking, so i'll post it.

i read the blogs and i think i can speak for the silent majority... there's lots of race content, which is generally a good read if you're into that sorta thing. i like the write ups for the most part... but i can't add shit to the conversation, unless its about accounting, or being tall. there are a lot more experts on 99% of the content on here, so i stay silent. and i have a shit ton of posts so god knows my posts must be more worthless than i think they are. it think my most "liked" post was in norm's 'steal this thread' run. and that had to do with feeling shitty about not riding as much, and not being able to ride like the peeps who provide 99% of the content here. which is the antithesis of the most popular content...

i remember norm saying the site was initially going to be a strictly race-based site. i'm glad it didn't come out that way, because the site is definitely the majority of the glue for the "scene"... whatever that scene may be now. but for adding content (or lack thereof) i don't think we can blame the like button. i would say the amount of riding that the most prolific content providers do is a lot more fringe than the majority would say it is, even for the fringe that hangs on this site... anyway, its not gonna be easy to jump in and add to the conversation other than "wow! great job riding across russia in four hours!" or just clicking *like*.

i'd add my own stuff, but who wants to hear about a dude who rides 2x a week at most, at a snails pace, then stops riding for 6 weeks at a time for whatever reason... it's more interesting to read about someone who almost came in first, or did, and then rode to florida and didn't get their face eaten off, but its much harder to relate to that.

i could go on and share my thoughts on why i think the racing numbers are down, but that's a whole other story that i'm sure no one cares about... since i don't go to races, i feel i don't have a place to say why i think the numbers are down (on the site that is), but at the same time, maybe people who want more people at the races should ask - why aren't they here? the 'they' being the pack fodder, like myself.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We should change the word "like" to "fuck the police".

Rick just wants the dislike button so he can repeatedly dislike anything based in NJ.

I think the lack of banter is due to the fact that nobody has an attention span anymore. Stop blaming the like button and start contributing.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
since i don't go to races, i feel i don't have a place to say why i think the numbers are down (on the site that is), but at the same time, maybe people who want more people at the races should ask - why aren't they here? the 'they' being the pack fodder, like myself.

No, actually you are exactly the person to speak up why. There are 2 facets to this question at least.

1. Why are racers not coming back?
2. Why do non-racers ever come out to race?

I suspect you have insight on point 2.

Top Bottom