The detailing thread

my dealer said they just call safelite. just need to decide on their glass or oem.

OEM, always OEM.

this probably matters more if you have sensors in the glass (either rain/light sensors or the vision systems) but it always seems to fit better than the aftermarket stuff.

Did a lot of windshields back in the day. It all comes down to the installer and how difficult it is to cut out the old glass. The pinchweld where the urethane sits on modern cars is invariably nicked up or worse by the cutting tool, and needs to be cleaned up and prepped for new adhesive, or the glass will not bond and your windshield channel will rust. Or worse the glass could pop out in an accident.

That’s the biggest part where the hacks cut corners, cause you can’t see it till years down the road if at all. And they usually booger up the trim and/ or bust the trim clips.

for mine itll be 5 years in oct, and no problems so far, the guy may have been more carefull since i stood there and watched him, no broken clips and he seemed to put some effort into making sure that the old adhesive was cleaned off.

It probably didnt hurt that the truck was only 6 months old when i had to do this

Reactions: w_b
OEM, always OEM.

this probably matters more if you have sensors in the glass (either rain/light sensors or the vision systems) but it always seems to fit better than the aftermarket stuff.
Regarding fit, the big OEM glass suppliers also make glass for applications where they are not the OEM; this glass is fine, but still comes at a premium. Some of the noname stuff really is crap.

Agree, if the glass is electrically connected to the vehicle stick with the OEM always.

i have found in some cases (not glass, but other situations at work where one mfg makes several brands of the same product) that the well known brand name product seems to be the one that fits inside of a tighter tolerance, what seems to happen is that when the item is out of the official spec (but still likely close enough to work) it gets pushed onto a different assy line and brand name sticker to sell anyway

Back
Top Bottom