The detailing thread

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Bisquick

dude, all the damage you showed was on the passenger side and all the after pictures were the drivers side . . . .

At the time I was mostly just freaking out wondering if I destroyed the paint. Proper documentation of the damage wasn't my first priority. I promise you both sides were equally fucked.

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
At the time I was mostly just freaking out wondering if I destroyed the paint. Proper documentation of the damage wasn't my first priority. I promise you both sides were equally fucked.

the obvious solution to this problem is for you to go take after pictures of the passenger side, but wtf do i know?

ebarker9

Bringing this back from the dead. A few questions for people:

-I have a lot of wiper blade scratches in the windshield of my Golf R. I don't know if I had grit in there at some point or perhaps it occurred over the winter. From what I've read, any kind of glass polishing sounds very specialized and iffy. Anyone have thoughts? Worth considering? Any shops that would do it or should I live with it/replace the windshield?
-Faded rubber window trim. Any favored products for cleaning and getting back closer to the original color? I've used 303 Aerospace for rubber and trim stuff in the past but haven't tried it yet for this purpose.
-Faded wiper cowl. Any kind of coating seems pretty temporary. Pull and paint (I've seen other people use SEM trim black) or maybe just replace?

rick81721

Lothar
Bringing this back from the dead. A few questions for people:

-I have a lot of wiper blade scratches in the windshield of my Golf R. I don't know if I had grit in there at some point or perhaps it occurred over the winter. From what I've read, any kind of glass polishing sounds very specialized and iffy. Anyone have thoughts? Worth considering? Any shops that would do it or should I live with it/replace the windshield?
-Faded rubber window trim. Any favored products for cleaning and getting back closer to the original color? I've used 303 Aerospace for rubber and trim stuff in the past but haven't tried it yet for this purpose.
-Faded wiper cowl. Any kind of coating seems pretty temporary. Pull and paint (I've seen other people use SEM trim black) or maybe just replace?

This works great for all the black plastic trim on my car:

download (6).jpeg

w_b

My windshield guy says live with it or replace, no polishing. I don’t see why not, as I have done microlapping of glasses on an industrial scale, and it works well but very tedious.

I’m guessing it’s easier to replace than lap.

ebarker9

My windshield guy says live with it or replace, no polishing. I don’t see why not, as I have done microlapping of glasses on an industrial scale, and it works well but very tedious.

I’m guessing it’s easier to replace than lap.

It's unfortunate but that's kind of the conclusion that I was arriving at as well.

Reactions: w_b

TommyF

See if you can pick up the new ceramic coating for black plastics, it lasts a longggggggg time. Also pull the wiper cowl and paint it with trim black, actually any trim you can pull, mask and paint will look like new for a while. it's worth the time to spray it! Windshields are cheap, under 200 installed and you'll be amazed at how clear everything looks once again.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
See if you can pick up the new ceramic coating for black plastics, it lasts a longggggggg time. Also pull the wiper cowl and paint it with trim black, actually any trim you can pull, mask and paint will look like new for a while. it's worth the time to spray it! Windshields are cheap, under 200 installed and you'll be amazed at how clear everything looks once again.

the last windshield i had to replace was $450 installed, please share where your getting a windshield installed for $200?!?!?!?!!!

ebarker9

the last windshield i had to replace was $450 installed, please share where your getting a windshield installed for $200?!?!?!?!!!

I just did an online estimate through Safelite (I would never use Safelite, but quickest way to get a price) and it was $440.

TommyF

I know a guy, he's a mobile service, comes to your house or work place. Bergen, Morris, Passaic. It does depend on the vehicle, but older vehicles with no electronics or sensors in the windshields are pretty cheap.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know a guy, he's a mobile service, comes to your house or work place. Bergen, Morris, Passaic. It does depend on the vehicle, but older vehicles with no electronics or sensors in the windshields are pretty cheap.

I had to do my 17 ram. It's just a piece of glass no sensors or heaters in it. 450 for the install at my house and that wasn't even with factory glass

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I had to do my 17 ram. It's just a piece of glass no sensors or heaters in it. 450 for the install at my house and that wasn't even with factory glass

How much money can you possibly save below 450 on a p/u truck?
Mine was $485 (last September) - I wish i had a video of the guy doing it -
still not sure how 1 person pulled it off.

1658484633297.png

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How much money can you possibly save below 450 on a p/u truck?
Mine was $485 (last September) - I wish i had a video of the guy doing it -
still not sure how 1 person pulled it off.

View attachment 191010

yea it was certainly something to watch, i think he had some sort of tripod stand to help swing the big piece of glass into place. Idr for sure since i called insurance to see how much they would cover so it went to whoever they contract with (it may have been safelite, but it was 5 years ago so wtf remebers that long ago)

ebarker9

Why no on Safelite? I never had a problem with them.

They're probably fine, but I'd rather work with a person or shop where you know who is doing the work vs a company that employs a ton of people with likely varying levels of skill and experience. I had to get the rear window on my wife's truck replaced and the local shop mentioned how much work they do repairing installs that Safelite had performed. Some of that may be down to the usual "we do it best and everyone else sucks" attitude that isn't uncommon, but I still think it makes sense to go with a specific place with a good reputation.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
They're probably fine, but I'd rather work with a person or shop where you know who is doing the work vs a company that employs a ton of people with likely varying levels of skill and experience. I had to get the rear window on my wife's truck replaced and the local shop mentioned how much work they do repairing installs that Safelite had performed. Some of that may be down to the usual "we do it best and everyone else sucks" attitude that isn't uncommon, but I still think it makes sense to go with a specific place with a good reputation.

my dealer said they just call safelite. just need to decide on their glass or oem.

w_b

Did a lot of windshields back in the day. It all comes down to the installer and how difficult it is to cut out the old glass. The pinchweld where the urethane sits on modern cars is invariably nicked up or worse by the cutting tool, and needs to be cleaned up and prepped for new adhesive, or the glass will not bond and your windshield channel will rust. Or worse the glass could pop out in an accident.

That’s the biggest part where the hacks cut corners, cause you can’t see it till years down the road if at all. And they usually booger up the trim and/ or bust the trim clips.

That and cheap aftermarket glass.

Top Bottom