The Amusement Bike Park

Nope Nope Nope. 35 degrees and above until I obtain some better winter gear. What do you guys use to keep your toes from freezing?

I set out to do like 15-20 miles today. Nope. Nothing a out this ride was enjoyable. 2 minutes in, realized I forgot to bolt one of my grips after messing with the cockpit this week. Now I realize me feet and hands are freezing. 10 minutes later, after using my dropper flawlessly, it decides to shit up and not stay up. Ugh, fiddle with it and keep riding. Then, I mess up a climb, start pedalling again and my bottle falls out and distracted I tip over in the clips. I say, ok universe and head back, hoping to find some stoke to decide to pass the lot and ride Hart's...no such luck as my toes were hurting at that point. Fucking winter.
Toe warmers
71R3sE-er0L._SX466_PIcountsize-12,TopRight,0,0_AA466SH20_.jpg

Nope Nope Nope. 35 degrees and above until I obtain some better winter gear. What do you guys use to keep your toes from freezing?

I set out to do like 15-20 miles today. Nope. Nothing a out this ride was enjoyable. 2 minutes in, realized I forgot to bolt one of my grips after messing with the cockpit this week. Now I realize me feet and hands are freezing. 10 minutes later, after using my dropper flawlessly, it decides to shit up and not stay up. Ugh, fiddle with it and keep riding. Then, I mess up a climb, start pedalling again and my bottle falls out and distracted I tip over in the clips. I say, ok universe and head back, hoping to find some stoke to decide to pass the lot and ride Hart's...no such luck as my toes were hurting at that point. Fucking winter.
Ah come on. Toughen up cupcake. jk

As far as cold feet, I think it is a common problem, especially with clips. You have a few options but some experimentation might be necessary. As mentioned by @Paul H you can add toe warmers to any of the following solutions as well.

Option 1:
2 pairs of socks and a "vapor barrier." More specifically, wear one pair of socks, put a plastic grocery bag over each sock, put on a second pair of socks over the grocery bags. This will prevent the cold wind from getting to your feet and any foot sweat from being exposed to cold air. Quality wool socks will make this solution even better. It's a bit ghetto but I have done it many times and it works.

Option 2:
Obtain a set of windproof shoe covers that will go over your riding shoes. These can be had cheap on Amazon, as a quick fix, or you can get name brand options for a little bit more. I have some cheap ones and they work fine, for now, and still allow the cleats to interface with the pedals just fine.

Option 3:
Put flat pedals back on your bike and wear proper winter boots (not riding specific). You might be giving up some pedal grip going this route but you'll be warm.

Option 4:
Buy a set of clipless winter riding shoes. This will be your most expensive option, by far, but is probably the most elegant way to stay warm on a bike in the winter. I have not ponied up for a pair of proper winter riding shoes so I cannot make any recommendations.

As far as cold hands I would suggest getting some windproof, insulated gloves. Again, they can be had cheap on Amazon or you can spend more for name brand stuff. Alternatively you could get Pogies but I personally don't think they are necessary in our area. I have ridden in single digit temps without them and have been just fine with good quality gloves.

One other point to note. You're extremities will feel colder if your core is struggling to stay warm. This is a tricky one because overdressing is not great, either. The sweat you will generate while being overdressed is a major problem if you have a mechanical or need to stop for an extended period of time. If you don't have a hat for under your helmet I would suggest getting one as a lot of heat is lost through the head.

It will take some trial and error to sort all this out. Everyone handles the cold differently.

Also, I should add that you don't have to spend a fortune on bike specific gear, especially if you are willing to put flats back on the bike. Layer up, wear warm insulated boots and gloves, and go ride your bike.

Ah come on. Toughen up cupcake. jk

Says the guy who has Pogies on his bike when it's 50 degrees. :banana:

Haha. Seriously, there may be some truth to that statement. I think if one is experiencing pain toughening up isn't the best solution and could end with frostbite. That said, someone a lot smarter than I am once told me there is a difference between feeling cold and being cold. I think a lot of riders overdress.

Thanks for the advice. I have a great pair of winter boots. Might go flats route. Everything was fine except the toes...and the little irritating shit like post malfunctions and all that. Oh well, off day. On to the next.

As far as cold feet, I think it is a common problem, especially with clips. You have a few options but some experimentation might be necessary. As mentioned by @Paul H you can add toe warmers to any of the following solutions as well.

Option 1:
2 pairs of socks and a "vapor barrier." More specifically, wear one pair of socks, put a plastic grocery bag over each sock, put on a second pair of socks over the grocery bags. This will prevent the cold wind from getting to your feet and any foot sweat from being exposed to cold air. Quality wool socks will make this solution even better. It's a bit ghetto but I have done it many times and it works.

Option 2:
Obtain a set of windproof shoe covers that will go over your riding shoes. These can be had cheap on Amazon, as a quick fix, or you can get name brand options for a little bit more. I have some cheap ones and they work fine, for now, and still allow the cleats to interface with the pedals just fine.

Option 3:
Put flat pedals back on your bike and wear proper winter boots (not riding specific). You might be giving up some pedal grip going this route but you'll be warm.

Option 4:
Buy a set of clipless winter riding shoes. This will be your most expensive option, by far, but is probably the most elegant way to stay warm on a bike in the winter. I have not ponied up for a pair of proper winter riding shoes so I cannot make any recommendations.

As far as cold hands I would suggest getting some windproof, insulated gloves. Again, they can be had cheap on Amazon or you can spend more for name brand stuff. Alternatively you could get Pogies but I personally don't think they are necessary in our area. I have ridden in single digit temps without them and have been just fine with good quality gloves.

One other point to note. You're extremities will feel colder if your core is struggling to stay warm. This is a tricky one because overdressing is not great, either. The sweat you will generate while being overdressed is a major problem if you have a mechanical or need to stop for an extended period of time. If you don't have a hat for under your helmet I would suggest getting one as a lot of heat is lost through the head.

It will take some trial and error to sort all this out. Everyone handles the cold differently.
Great post.
I have tried all of the above and one thing I can say is nothing beats a pair of bike specific winter shoes. I just retired my lakes after 10 years as they were probably 3 years past their life expectancy. I picked up a pair or specialized defrosters and they are ok, but not as warm as the lakes, however they weight like 1/2 as much.
The next best option is the plastic bag method. There is a debate on of the bag should go next to skin or with a thin sock below, like you said.

the downside with warmers and the plastic bag method is it is additional waste. If you ride every day, you are killing like 14 turtles a day with the micro plastics and carbon deposits you introduce when using these methods. Yes, sarcasm.

I was a little shocked about the toes. I was wearing just base layer and shorts, and tee, long sleeve t and fleece and was perfectly fine. Warmed up in minutes. Meh, it's over 30 degrees here like 80 % of winter, so almost a non issue with the limited amount of riding I do

I was a little shocked about the toes. I was wearing just base layer and shorts, and tee, long sleeve t and fleece and was perfectly fine. Warmed up in minutes. Meh, it's over 30 degrees here like 80 % of winter, so almost a non issue with the limited amount of riding I do
Because the dew point was way lower than the temp. It doesn’t matter except for fingers and toes. Dew point is the “real feel”.

No need to repeat all the good points that were previously made but I will stress that any investment you make in winter gear will likely last you for many years. I used to suffer from cold toes until I ponied up for some shimano winter boots...seven years and counting.

8158757A-5C5B-44B0-A01D-B26F837D8E19.jpeg

Blogerific:

Rode Wawayanda with the OOS crew on Saturday and LOVED IT! Great mix of rocks and flow. I really started to get in a rock garden groove this ride. I was amazed at how much easier they are to pedal through when your in a mid gear vs too easy of a gear. As I've been learning a lot lately, gear selection and putting effort in at the right moments really changes the ride. There was also a super fun boulder roller thing that had me smiling pretty hard. I really really enjoyed these trails. Big thanks to @jklett for fixing my snapped chain! Big thanks to the ride leaders as well (@mtbiker87 , @huffster , @Mr.Moto

Bike talk: the industry has me totally confused on what bike I should buy. apparently I should just buy a 29er enduro bike with a super slack HT and steep Seat tube. Ha. But seems like modern is about 66 or less degree HT and 75 or more degree ST? Will I actually notice a half degree? Should I really care? Wish there were a large bike rag that wasn't based in either UK or Park City/West Coast. Thankfully my budget is low enough that I have very limited options.

Current options: I go $2100 with the Trance 29 3. Start with brake upgrade (2pot xt for under $200) and go from there. Starts with decent spec/ better fork/shock than anything else in that price. I go $3000 and get a Ripmo Af? Seems to be the best bang for buck in that range with amazing reviews. Any other bikes I should consider. Really not looking to spend over $3k and just not into putting that kind of money down on a used bike where the warranty is gone.

Back
Top Bottom