The 2016 garden thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@rlb and I were speaking at the Watchung meeting about the bumper crops at the tail end of the season, the late wet Indian summer was kind to the plants, though I think it's officially over this/next weekend. Harvest or lose them folks.
For those who don't know, you can eat pepper leaves. They remind me of a spinach but takes longer to cook. Harvest some and cook them like kale or collards. It's one of my fall favorites.

i did not know that - bonus!

Reactions: rlb

rlb

@rlb and I were speaking at the Watchung meeting about the bumper crops at the tail end of the season, the late wet Indian summer was kind to the plants, though I think it's officially over this/next weekend. Harvest or lose them folks.
For those who don't know, you can eat pepper leaves. They remind me of a spinach but takes longer to cook. Harvest some and cook them like kale or collards. It's one of my fall favorites.

Thanks for the tip on the pepper leaves! I'll give it a try.

Zaskar

FREEZE WARNINGS for tonight! As a first year garden I'm left with just potatoes growing. Do I need to cover them?

qclabrat

cover with layer of thick clean leaves
should make it past this week fine
I'm guessing they are not yet ready for harvest?
once the soil hits 40F your tatos will be toast, so plan to harvest soon

Zaskar

cover with layer of thick clean leaves
should make it past this week fine
I'm guessing they are not yet ready for harvest?
once the soil hits 40F your tatos will be toast, so plan to harvest soon

Leaves (or butter) will go on today. These were a second planting done late summer so should be getting close. It's all been a learning experience this year like don't plant more then two zucchinis next year....

qclabrat

Swiss chard and some greens today
a few cool weather crops finally coming around
still have some romaine and peppers which need harvesting
this is also the time I winterize the power tools and fire up the generator and snoblower. @jShort also reminded me last year to bring in the hoses after shutting off the spigots
WP_20161205_16_16_10_Pro.jpg

Top Bottom