Tank Trail (the Alligator?)

This has became the stupider version of the winter shoes thread, Covid Christmas edition.

It is an LVT-4 Water Buffalo, exactly the vehicle in the picture posted by @Victor I in this very thread.

Yellow paint has been available for years to private citizens as well as to public institutions, and doesn't automatically make a pile of rusted metal a paver. Would also be a very odd shape for a paver, given the whole purpose of such vehicle it would be way too high from the ground.

Hopefully this will put the argument to rest for a few months...scroll to page 73/74.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_LVTs.pdf

Only store I have about it, I was told by a guy during the last ride with @Mr.Moto and @mtbiker87 that its owner used it to shuttle skiers up the hill on Shepherd lake back in the days, then it broke down and was abandoned on the spot. Not sure how true that his but there's no doubt on the vehicle identity. It's also been used to cannibalize parts to restore a similar vehicle, I believe in Pennsylvania..

View attachment 174075
View attachment 174076
View attachment 174077
View attachment 174078
Very cool Leo. Thanks man. This actually helps clear up the mystery further. I wonder if the park staff would allow a plaque as this thing gets so much attention.

It is an old military vehicle, same as the pictures. They used it back when there was a ski slope at Shepards Lake, they would take groups out into the lake with it.
Thanks @Cannonbill. Had no idea there used to be a ski slope at Shepherds or the way the alligator was utilized at Ringwood. Bill and I run into each other on that same trail every time we ride weekdays during the warmer months. “Hey Bill, hey Vic
“ then he’s gone. He disappears so fast I think he is a ghost😂. Then again he is dressed in WW2 military gear and sometimes as 1950s ski
patrol when I see him😁

Last edited:
1. I was drunk last night
2. I am now convinced this is an LVT
3. Thanks for the entertainment
4. Ringwood group ride this Spring/Summer
5. I bring the beer and post-ride snack
6. Merry Christmas!!

Last edited:
Found and article from 1964. It’s great getting to know more about the history of the area. And for anyone reading this thread @a.s. is good people.
6FD8C275-B2A2-4176-A728-9BB4971E0EA4.png
D04BC8D0-63ED-410E-99C6-28F11BFB122D.png

This has became the stupider version of the winter shoes thread, Covid Christmas edition.

It is an LVT-4 Water Buffalo, exactly the vehicle in the picture posted by @Victor I in this very thread.

Yellow paint has been available for years to private citizens as well as to public institutions, and doesn't automatically make a pile of rusted metal a paver. Would also be a very odd shape for a paver, given the whole purpose of such vehicle it would be way too high from the ground.

Hopefully this will put the argument to rest for a few months...scroll to page 73/74.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_LVTs.pdf

Only store I have about it, I was told by a guy during the last ride with @Mr.Moto and @mtbiker87 that its owner used it to shuttle skiers up the hill on Shepherd lake back in the days, then it broke down and was abandoned on the spot. Not sure how true that his but there's no doubt on the vehicle identity. It's also been used to cannibalize parts to restore a similar vehicle, I believe in Pennsylvania..

View attachment 174075
View attachment 174076
View attachment 174077
View attachment 174078
I was 100% with Antonio on this! Just goes to show, you should always keep an open mind!

I was 100% with Antonio on this! Just goes to show, you should always keep an open mind!
We have had a few discussions on this site about it and previously researched. I agree one should keep an open mind but we have solved this mystery a few times so is a rehash. But a good rehash at that. Some things I never knew that Shepherd Lake was previously a ski area and the LVT (possibly) was partially stripped to restore one in PA, so additional cool facts came out of this thread.

Last edited:
IMO it’s a fairly important part of history, we should have something better than this thread to use to record it. Maybe the next Jorba magazine can write an article on it? Interview the people in that text thread?? Just an idea…

Excellent idea.
You got yourself a by-line!!!

JORBA has an excellent editor - so just need to get close.
Maybe get the local Patch.com person, and if there is a small library....

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions