Tally Ho FYI - Don't ride up it

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So if you read my bfat thread you know I am out at sunbreak every morning. I mostly park by the quarry.. When I'm done usually around 7am which must be start time at the quarry all the guys are flying down the road to get to work. One of the trucks every day has a quad in the back. Quadtard first was giving dumbfuck looks, then spit in my direction and now flipped me off twice.

I noticed the quarry entrance had been littered with obstacles to deter up until today. All objects were rolled or moved away.

Old me would have been handcuffed off quarry property but today I just look at it that it must suck to be that guy :)

serviceguy

So if you read my bfat thread you know I am out at sunbreak every morning. I mostly park by the quarry.. When I'm done usually around 7am which must be start time at the quarry all the guys are flying down the road to get to work. One of the trucks every day has a quad in the back. Quadtard first was giving dumbfuck looks, then spit in my direction and now flipped me off twice.

I noticed the quarry entrance had been littered with obstacles to deter up until today. All objects were rolled or moved away.

Old me would have been handcuffed off quarry property but today I just look at it that it must suck to be that guy :)

Can you unleash old you, kick his ass and then claim bipolar disorder?

Sven Migot

Signs were there last Sat. Location sucks because you don't see it until you already climbed up a bit. It should be at the bottom of the trail.
1592355246272.png

w_b

Is the great state of stinking Nj on board with this? I think not. You start trying to make state park trails one way you are a part of the problem. MTB are not the only trail users, what about that is unclear? Your taxes are not the only taxes going to trails. This forum as an advocate for trails should be much clearer on this.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You start trying to make state park trails one way you are a part of the problem. MTB are not the only trail users, what about that is unclear? Your taxes are not the only taxes going to trails
I don't see it that way. There is a safe way up right next to the One Way Up. Hikers could use that. I've been at state parks and have seen Hiking Only Trails, I guess I could turn around and get mad and say My tax dollars should not go to hiking only trails...but I don't because I am in favor of RECREATION in NJ.

jackx

Is that Green?
No. The top is near White and Blue near the chimney (Pot N' Pans on White is another nearby downhill).

The bottom/end of Tally Ho is near the bottom of the White Rumbly climb, not far (maybe 300 feet) East of the White/Pink intersection.

This is not near the pink ball sack i.e. the ballsack on Pink.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
One way trails are an indication that you have a fun trail system.

I’m curious as to the limitations on trail building in NJ? In New England where I grew up the trails are a total free for all (and in state parks). Giant man made gap jumps? Sure. Wooden 10 foot drops? Also sure. Basically the trails are often built like a bike park without the lifts. I don’t necessarily want all my trails to be like that, but it would be nice to have more freedom.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i really dont think posting here (on its own) is going to stop the uphill traffic(membership/visitation on this site is such a small % of overall mtbers in the area), signage is a must, and so is maintaining it so its 100% clearly visible and impossible to miss at an intersection which provides an alternative route (i guess nothing will 100% stop it, but thats the probably the best you can hope for).

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Nothing will 100% stop it. I was in a daze and almost went up the Nassau flow trail the wrong way until @Robin stopped me. :oops: Hopefully I would have realized when I hit the first jump the wrong way. :D

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nothing will 100% stop it. I was in a daze and almost went up the Nassau flow trail the wrong way until @Robin stopped me. :oops: Hopefully I would have realized when I hit the first jump the wrong way. :D

yes you are correct in that nothing will 100% stop it but if the do not enter sign is an intersection people are less likely to ignore it, if the sign just pops up in the middle of the trail id guess most people (not necessarily membership on this site, but general population) would be more inclined to say 'f-this, theres nowhere else to go so im going to keep climbing' at least give them an easy presentable option because they are unlikely to turn around for a sign.

Cassinonorth

yes you are correct in that nothing will 100% stop it but if the do not enter sign is an intersection people are less likely to ignore it, if the sign just pops up in the middle of the trail id guess most people (not necessarily membership on this site, but general population) would be more inclined to say 'f-this, theres nowhere else to go so im going to keep climbing' at least give them an easy presentable option because they are unlikely to turn around for a sign.

Dunno...if a sign is telling me I may catch handlebars to the face at 20mph I may turn around and figure out another way. Though reading is definitely optional.

It is not your ( or my ) land to do with as you please. We are ALLOWED to use it only at the whim and benevolence of the government.

The issue becomes liability. Placing signs is little different than sabotaging an open trail with rocks and debris in that who is liable now for a person getting injured going the "wrong way" on a trail or wrecking on debris in the trail? I know the people that are doing this think they are doing what is best , but I agree with W_B up above , you are only hurting the cause. Hunters are not allowed to put a nail in a tree out there, I am sure signage, however well meaning, falls under the same guidleines.

Hunters, hikers and horses are all allowed out there as well and if we all don't play along nicely , the state can just as easily take it away.

Last edited:

Xler8

It’s one trail in a matrix of many. Not only that, but it is not restricted on use. Anyone can use it, just safer if it’s used correctly.

And why is it ok to have hiking only trails in mixed use parks? Or horse only trails? I see hunter stations up in trees in a lot of state parks all the time, year after year.

Having a one way trail doesn’t necessarily mean we all can’t get along and play nice together. Even in the lovely state of NJ.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Folks its a curiosity sign. For one its a shitty trail to try and climb, maybe a sign that says this is a shitty trail in this direction would be ideal :)

I'd bet there has been zero park personnel 10' inside the park. 99.9% of legal trail users are just happy to be out in the fresh air enjoy the serenity.

On that note might be a good idea to place a sign exiting to say slow merging trails because you definitely come out of the exit with barrel of speed.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions