Tally Ho FYI - Don't ride up it

It is not your ( or my ) land to do with as you please. We are ALLOWED to use it only at the whim and benevolence of the government.

The issue becomes liability. Placing signs is little different than sabotaging an open trail with rocks and debris in that who is liable now for a person getting injured going the "wrong way" on a trail or wrecking on debris in the trail?
Hunters, hikers and horses are all allowed out there as well and if we all don't play along nicely , the state can just as easily take it away.

I agree that the law in NJ is the law and openly defying it is the wrong approach.

I have ridden in Utah, California, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania (muchly), New York (quite a bit), Vermont, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, NC, Maryland, and a couple of other states whose names escape me with this whole "PANDEMIC." One thing that stands out to me is that the trails in all of those states, that I can recall, have trail signs.

TAPA NZEE IMG_20190912_160426-01.jpg

This is one in Pittsfield State Forest, MA, at the top of one of my favorite DH trails.

They're kind of a big plus, if you are just passing through.

Have to get the JORBA legal staff to get to work on changing the laws.

On that note might be a good idea to place a sign exiting to say slow merging trails because you definitely come out of the exit with barrel of speed.
Good idea. Riders who instead descended The White Meisterburger and then the White Rumbly Climb could be approaching from the right with some decent speed.

Allaire should have a one way sign on serpentine, only because it's more funer in the down slope direction.

Doesn't mean the bike police will summons you if you decide to do it in reverse

I don't see the big deal in designating a one-way trail for mtb, it's safer and more fun. Lots of other trail systems in other states have one-way trails. Kingdom has Sidewinder and (until mtb-ers pissed off the land owners) Trolls Stroll, Tap 'n' Die and Todys Tour are all one-way. Raystown has Rays Revenge as one way, and preferably Osprey and Sidewinder as one way. W. Va. Bear Lake (DirtFest) all of the expert trails (Red and Purple trails) are one way. IMO, the relatively newer trail at Nassau (think its Fox Den, not sure) that is off Springside and is a flowy roller coaster-type trail (sim to KT Sidewinder, sorta) should be a one-way.

A sign not designated by the state is just a request. Keep an eye out for someone coming up the trail and there shouldn't be any issues.

One way trails are an indication that you have a fun trail system.

I’m curious as to the limitations on trail building in NJ? In New England where I grew up the trails are a total free for all (and in state parks). Giant man made gap jumps? Sure. Wooden 10 foot drops? Also sure. Basically the trails are often built like a bike park without the lifts. I don’t necessarily want all my trails to be like that, but it would be nice to have more freedom.
I have asked this many times usually to be met with disapproving looks and talk of liability and land managers. If a majority of users were in favor of trails with optional features then I think that would be a realistic option even in the people’s republic of New Jersey. What we have is a representation of what the typical mtbnjer wants and I too love hard, techy trails, cleaning sections I once considered uncleanable. But the bikes these days are pretty capable and I for one would like some state sanctioned airtime to be part of the conversation.

I agree that the law in NJ is the law and openly defying it is the wrong approach.

I have ridden in Utah, California, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania (muchly), New York (quite a bit), Vermont, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, NC, Maryland, and a couple of other states whose names escape me with this whole "PANDEMIC." One thing that stands out to me is that the trails in all of those states, that I can recall, have trail signs.

View attachment 131888

This is one in Pittsfield State Forest, MA, at the top of one of my favorite DH trails.

They're kind of a big plus, if you are just passing through.

Have to get the JORBA legal staff to get to work on changing the laws.

There are parks in FL that have mountain biking only trails and most of the trails are one way.

Nothing will 100% stop it. I was in a daze and almost went up the Nassau flow trail the wrong way until @Robin stopped me. :oops: Hopefully I would have realized when I hit the first jump the wrong way. :D

Real talk. When I was at White Clay I spent 1/2 the day doing the skills course uphill. I'm sorta tired of the Enduro Bros deciding that flow and skill trails all need to be downhill. Bunnyhop up some skinnys every once in a while!!

It's simple, riding up it is not smart. It's a stupid fast down, and very popular right now. It always was a fast fast legacy trail, but not so popular. This is not "Right" or "Wrong" is just "Smart".
I like climbing and I like challenging climbs. I’ve ridden up this trail numerous times and I probably will continue to climb it. The caveat is that I usually ride relatively early in the day when most people are still in the parking lot debating tire pressures and the merits of unscented or scented bug spray.

I like climbing and I like challenging climbs. I’ve ridden up this trail numerous times and I probably will continue to climb it. The caveat is that I usually ride relatively early in the day when most people are still in the parking lot debating tire pressures and the merits of unscented or scented bug spray.
Well I'm up early also and take my brakes off when I reach tally ho so you better have good reflexes iron man :)

I like climbing and I like challenging climbs. I’ve ridden up this trail numerous times and I probably will continue to climb it.
You like challenging climbs and you're going to Stephens? That's like saying you go there for the rocks. ahh, try Allamuchy. Plus, there are Plenty of "challenging" climbs in the park, Lower White to or from Hackettstown, Orange (both ways up). The Border trail, Hally-toe (go faster), did I say the lower white from h-town, heading north up to the bottom of Pots n pans. There is a sign at the bottom of Tally Ho for safety. You may not like your teeth but I like mine. Your options are many... What did Forrest say to Mrs. Blue?

You like challenging climbs and you're going to Stephens? That's like saying you go there for the rocks. ahh, try Allamuchy. Plus, there are Plenty of "challenging" climbs in the park, Lower White to or from Hackettstown, Orange (both ways up). The Border trail, Hally-toe (go faster), did I say the lower white from h-town, heading north up to the bottom of Pots n pans. There is a sign at the bottom of Tally Ho for safety. You may not like your teeth but I like mine. Your options are many... What did Forrest say to Mrs. Blue?
Allamuchy North ? I’ll need to google that.

Where is the Border trail? Is it part of white near Blue or Red/White?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions