Suspension service

xrjx

i'm in need of a lower leg, and probably air spring/damper service on my Rockshox (Pike) fork. Have you had a good experience with a particular local shop (i'm in Northern NJ) for suspension service? if so, which shop, and what was the approximate cost? Have you had your shock/fork sent back to RS for service? Otherwise, have you sent out to a suspension tuning outfit (i.e. Dirtlabs, etc)? if so, were you satisfied with the result?

thanks!

I have not had good luck with local shops for suspension service. The most comphrensive service IMO happens at either Fox or RS with the exception of Suspension Experts which is now owned by Fox. Fox specifically has been really good to me finding replacement parts for older models to keep me rolling.

A typical reduild from Fox and RS runs approximately $150. A mfg will be more likely to cut you a deal on the lower leg assembly (your post confused me as to if you need a new lower leg assembly or just bushings).

One other mention; I bought a fork a while back from a buddy that was modified by Push. Man, that fork was so smooth and plush. Kind of sorry I sold that fork.

Now is a good time to send stuff out for svc because the turnaround time will be quick compared to in-season. Good luck!!

@Ryan.P can probably recommend something because @Ryan.P is to suspension, like Cookie Monster is to cookies.
I also like cookies , but seriously forks are so easy to service with some basic tools I'd recommend learning how to do it yourself especially because lower leg service is recommended like every 50 hrs . Takes about 15 min to do even while eating cookies .

I also like cookies , but seriously forks are so easy to service with some basic tools I'd recommend learning how to do it yourself especially because lower leg service is recommended like every 50 hrs . Takes about 15 min to do even while eating cookies .

come show me :D i have one bike due for full suspension service (fork and shock) and one due for the midterm (lower leg) service.

I have not had good luck with local shops for suspension service. The most comphrensive service IMO happens at either Fox or RS with the exception of Suspension Experts which is now owned by Fox. Fox specifically has been really good to me finding replacement parts for older models to keep me rolling.

A typical reduild from Fox and RS runs approximately $150. A mfg will be more likely to cut you a deal on the lower leg assembly (your post confused me as to if you need a new lower leg assembly or just bushings).

One other mention; I bought a fork a while back from a buddy that was modified by Push. Man, that fork was so smooth and plush. Kind of sorry I sold that fork.

Now is a good time to send stuff out for svc because the turnaround time will be quick compared to in-season. Good luck!!

do you know what the modification was? coil conversion?

What @Ryan.P says. With the correct tools most people can do the lower service. I am not a bike mech but I have done the service on both my REBA's and my sektor. I dont know if I would attempt a charger damper.

Bike suspension is pretty simple. With the right tools, even damper service is easy. You're basically just changing o-rings and seals then refilling the oil and charging it with nitrogen(unless it's an open bath damper). The problem is that there are so many specialty tools required and there isn't much crossover so by the time you get all the stuff you need, it winds up being cheaper to just send them in.

Bike suspension is pretty simple. With the right tools, even damper service is easy. You're basically just changing o-rings and seals then refilling the oil and charging it with nitrogen(unless it's an open bath damper). The problem is that there are so many specialty tools required and there isn't much crossover so by the time you get all the stuff you need, it winds up being cheaper to just send them in.
I have serviced fox and rs forks and never needed any specialty tools just a large socket for topcaps and a seal driver for my fox fork ( which i made using a piece of pipe of the right diameter)

Also nitogen charge isnt needed with grip 1 and two dampers; but if your damper requires it just bring is to place where they sell dirtbikes and have them charge it up they might charge you $20 at most

Back
Top Bottom