Summer Camp 2019

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@JimN so weird because when I first opened to read your reply, there were issues. I hit refresh and they are there. And the fact that Halter's works...hmmm. Maybe the thread is broken.

I'm sure it's all Fidodie's fault. We are going to dock his pay this week for sure. I can see three out of four pics from Friday, and zero from the last couple of posts.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny, when I edit your post, I see them all. I added an extra period and saved it, now they are gone.

It's not you!

ekuhn

Glad Allaire worked out.

Not a single photo of @Robin 's showed up for me in her latest Allaire post, even after a refresh. The previous post is like every other photo.

Thinking more of this will be needed...

1564004648771.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Jeez, he cut my pay in half until this is fixed.

@Robin, it's not you, it's me. :D (i never got to say that.)

i couldn't see any of the pics, launched the post in another window, then hit refresh and they came up.

Robin

Week 4 Day 4 - Nassau Trails

Our counselor got a borrowed bike. Want to know how a Walmart bike holds up? Let a counselor use it for a summer at camp. This isn't the first time a counselor destroyed a bike.

IMG_20190725_080633.jpg

Yesterday my kids got a hold of my seeds. They handed me an empty bag. So I had to pick up a new bag today. It's almost empty. I'll have to keep a stash hidden for myself.

IMG_20190725_081344.jpg

Today we went to Nassau. I was a bit nervous about conditions with the rain we had. We rode up the meadow and Springside Loop was in great condition.

IMG_20190725_101309.jpg

IMG_20190725_120343_034.jpg

My group did awesome - we session some of the rock gardens and one of the roll-down drops. So proud of my shredders.

IMG_20190725_130146.jpg

Robin

Week 4 Day 5 - 6-Mile Run

What a long week it's been. I'm glad it's Friday and I'm home from camp.

With the rain earlier in the week, I bumped our 6-Mile ride to today. I saw some posts last night that it was ok to ride. In the past, we've had the experienced group start from Canal and the lesser experienced group start from Jacques - both meet for lunch at the Route 27 lot. This requires the kids to pack their lunch in their Camelback/Osprey/Whatever-they-have. Since we had a sub bus driver and not @SpartaBard I figured he could drive the bus with all of our lunches over to Route 27.

Since the bus driver doesn't use any technology I had to draw him a map. Luckily he knew the roads. Here's my messy map.

IMG_20190726_100245.jpg

I had the group that started at Jacques Lane. We only had 4 today as one moved to the other group and one overslept. My group did AWESOME. We rolled up to the 27 lot at 11:30 - just as planned. The other group arrived 5 minutes later.

IMG_20190726_065337.jpg

I didn't get many photos today as I was hustling. But here is this week's group shot. A few are missing.

IMG_20190725_085948.jpg

Next week is our 5th and last week. So the camp has decided to give us 17 campers. Good thing @SpartaBard will be back.

iman29

Week 4 Day 5 - 6-Mile Run

What a long week it's been. I'm glad it's Friday and I'm home from camp.

With the rain earlier in the week, I bumped our 6-Mile ride to today. I saw some posts last night that it was ok to ride. In the past, we've had the experienced group start from Canal and the lesser experienced group start from Jacques - both meet for lunch at the Route 27 lot. This requires the kids to pack their lunch in their Camelback/Osprey/Whatever-they-have. Since we had a sub bus driver and not @SpartaBard I figured he could drive the bus with all of our lunches over to Route 27.

Since the bus driver doesn't use any technology I had to draw him a map. Luckily he knew the roads. Here's my messy map.

View attachment 100908

I had the group that started at Jacques Lane. We only had 4 today as one moved to the other group and one overslept. My group did AWESOME. We rolled up to the 27 lot at 11:30 - just as planned. The other group arrived 5 minutes later.

View attachment 100909

I didn't get many photos today as I was hustling. But here is this week's group shot. A few are missing.

View attachment 100907

Next week is our 5th and last week. So the camp has decided to give us 17 campers. Good thing @SpartaBard will be back.
I think I want to attend this camp next summer. ??

Robin

Week 5 Day 1 - Mercer County Park

We started our last week of camp today. I'm so glad @SpartaBard is back. Last week was rough...until Thursday at least. This week we have 17 campers. Yes, 17. Most are returning campers. I have the three girls again!

IMG_20190729_090122.jpg

I hate Lewis Morris for our first day of camp. It's convenient in that it's close to camp for our first day out but the terrain is often challenging for our "social" riders. So I decided last week we would go to Mercer today. I was watching the conditions thread and thankful for all the work that was done. It was evident how much was cleaned up.

Our groups were 6 with @SpartaBard and I had 11. Some of the boys should have gone with the other group but they were just chilling. My counselor had trouble keeping the group together with all the intersections. Somehow he got lost. This was after I fixed his flat. Needless to say, I was less than thrilled about having to find him. He rolled in with another flat. I had already checked the tire for any punctures/stuff stuck in it. I again checked the tire - mind you, this is a "loaner" from someone after counselor's original bike exploded. I found the tire had sidewall failures...due to age. I tried to put a boot in with the tube. No luck. By this time, the other 11 kids were starting to get restless. I called @SpartaBard to come help before I lost my sh*t.

IMG_20190729_102645.jpg

We found the issue and got the tire to hold together with electrical tape. We were rolling again but I passed some of my kids onto @SpartaBard . My group made it's way over to the dam and stream. I stopped to deal with a down tree and one of my girls fell off the trail into the stream. She was a good sport about it. Other than that, not much to report.

My own stash of seeds for the drive. Oh and @SpartaBard snagged a new tent for us (as modeled by mini @SpartaBard).

IMG_20190729_101422.jpg

IMG_20190729_151805.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190729_123154.jpg
    IMG_20190729_123154.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 120

Robin

Week 5 Day 2 - 6-Mile

So I got to camp early this morning to sort through my pack. I've gone through quite a bit of bandaids and needed to restock my tubes. I also wanted to grab "the bike" for today's photo. Who won this week!? Stay tuned.

Our plan was to have @SpartaBard group start from Canal and my group start from Jacques - we packed our lunch and would eat together at the 27 lot. However, our plan had to change as Canal Rd. was closed (later we found out from @rick81721 we could have gotten through). Anyhow, both groups would now be starting from Jacques. He we are herding the campers before starting our ride.

IMG_20190730_100529.jpg

My group was awesome. I've seen progress with many of them since last week. Here are some photos.

IMG_20190730_103621.jpg
IMG_20190730_103633_1.jpg
IMG_20190730_103647.jpg
IMG_20190730_103659_1.jpg

Lunch was nice and quiet until the other group rolled up. It was still nice and quiet at our table. We got this fun photo.

IMG_20190730_120810.jpg

We rolled out to head back. I went across the boardwalk near the concrete bridge to ensure the campers had a clear ride to the other side. I was greeted by another camp (the one near by). Their campers watched our kids ride by. One of my campers said "they looked so sad". Sigh.

Passed a few people - all were pretty friendly - someone found a phone and was asking if we knew an "Eric". I hope he finds his phone. We rolled into Jacques right on schedule to the sound of some thunder rumbles. And then @SpartaBard radio'd me...it was hard to make out but warning me of some guy who was on the warpath headed my way. I saw the guy - passed him earlier but he said nothing to me. I later found out that while @SpartaBard was fixing not one but two flats for kids, the guy was peeved he had to pass 12 campers and called them a$$holes. He must have been having a really bad day. Karma....karma.

This week we seem to be going through tubes like no tomorrow - three today and two yesterday. Hopefully that's the end of it.

LukeW

Week 5 Day 2 - 6-Mile

So I got to camp early this morning to sort through my pack. I've gone through quite a bit of bandaids and needed to restock my tubes. I also wanted to grab "the bike" for today's photo. Who won this week!? Stay tuned.

Our plan was to have @SpartaBard group start from Canal and my group start from Jacques - we packed our lunch and would eat together at the 27 lot. However, our plan had to change as Canal Rd. was closed (later we found out from @rick81721 we could have gotten through). Anyhow, both groups would now be starting from Jacques. He we are herding the campers before starting our ride.

View attachment 101287

My group was awesome. I've seen progress with many of them since last week. Here are some photos.

View attachment 101288View attachment 101289View attachment 101290View attachment 101291

Lunch was nice and quiet until the other group rolled up. It was still nice and quiet at our table. We got this fun photo.

View attachment 101293

We rolled out to head back. I went across the boardwalk near the concrete bridge to ensure the campers had a clear ride to the other side. I was greeted by another camp (the one near by). Their campers watched our kids ride by. One of my campers said "they looked so sad". Sigh.

Passed a few people - all were pretty friendly - someone found a phone and was asking if we knew an "Eric". I hope he finds his phone. We rolled into Jacques right on schedule to the sound of some thunder rumbles. And then @SpartaBard radio'd me...it was hard to make out but warning me of some guy who was on the warpath headed my way. I saw the guy - passed him earlier but he said nothing to me. I later found out that while @SpartaBard was fixing not one but two flats for kids, the guy was peeved he had to pass 12 campers and called them a$$holes. He must have been having a really bad day. Karma....karma.

This week we seem to be going through tubes like no tomorrow - three today and two yesterday. Hopefully that's the end of it.
This year like you said I’ve seen the most flats I ever have at camp. I wonder if there’s any reason.

Robin

Week 5 Day 3 - Nockamixon

IMG_20190731_090134.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if someone sprinkled tacks in our vans. Today we started out with two flats and then had one on the trail. This morning's flat was a doozy in the sense that it had a wire bead in the tire and was a PITA to get on and off. In the process of getting the tire back on, we punctured the tube. So @SpartaBard took the entire group out with our two counselors while I dealt/problem solved the tire situation. I managed to get us rolling again.

IMG_20190731_101506.jpg

IMG_20190731_110601.jpg

We didn't make it to the Gnome Home, but @SpartaBard and crew did. I worked with my camper on standing with level pedals and pumping through the one section. We all met up and rode to lunch together.

image.jpg

image (1).jpg

I was watching my Garmin and was afraid I wouldn't get my hour of moving time in today...so after lunch I took the 11 boys. We had one crash and one kid stung by a hornet or wasp. Then another flat. So @SpartaBard took everyone on while I stayed and helped the camper change his flat. He has changed a flat before so I just supervised and gave suggestions. We were almost golden but had trouble getting the thru-axel to thread. I noticed the time and suggested we walk the short distance back. Once again, @SpartaBard to the rescue and managed to get things going.

IMG_20190731_125515.jpg

IMG_20190731_134445.jpg

Got back to campus just as storms started to pop up. Two more days.

Robin

Week 5 Day 4 - KVSP

Our weekly BBQ at KVSP. We had two guests - former campers. We've known both of them since they were 8 and 9 years old. Both raced NICA and one is off to Michigan in the fall.

IMG_20190801_095600_1.jpg

IMG_20190801_122610_321.jpg

We rode in our groups a.d made it to the airport. Lots of people and happy dogs on the trails.

IMG_20190801_104015.jpg

Grilled for the kids while catching up with our alumni.

Two of my girls said good bye today as they are headed to Oregon tomorrow. So we did a girls selfie

IMG_20190801_123400.jpg

Only two flats today. @SpartaBard got this photo when he parked the bus.

IMG_3694.jpg

SpartaBard

Week 5 Day 4 - KVSP

Our weekly BBQ at KVSP. We had two guests - former campers. We've known both of them since they were 8 and 9 years old. Both raced NICA and one is off to Michigan in the fall.

View attachment 101496

View attachment 101497

We rode in our groups a.d made it to the airport. Lots of people and happy dogs on the trails.

View attachment 101499

Grilled for the kids while catching up with our alumni.

Two of my girls said good bye today as they are headed to Oregon tomorrow. So we did a girls selfie

View attachment 101495

Only two flats today. @SpartaBard got this photo when he parked the bus.

View attachment 101498

Good job @Robin with the qualifier that I took the pic when the bus was parked. I don’t want to end up on @Carson 911 thread!

Also, our two former campers now work at the Marty’s Randolph shop.

Robin

Week 5 Day 5 - Deer Park

Our week photo! So the bike of the week is one of our girl's bike. It's a rad Commencal bike that she shreds at Windham on.

IMG_20190801_081929.jpg

Well, we made it to the last day. We opted for Deer Park as our last ride. Mostly because Cliff's is on the way back to campus. I rode DP at the end of the school year and even with a little overgrown stuff, it was still good.

Today was different. A few very large trees down - not sure which storm brought them down, but I posted in the Deer Park conditions thread. Too large to tackle with a hand saw. The bugs were horrible too - mosquitoes and ticks galore.

IMG_20190802_104732.jpg

One of our campers was snake wrestling before we started.

IMG_3717.jpg

I had the large faster group since @SpartaBard was recovering from the Rolling Stones show last night. Nothing exciting happened on our ride other than some usual bickering. We had to move our usual lunch spot to avoid being bitten. I accidently put my Camelback on the valve and it looked like I wet my pants.

IMG_3721.jpg

Stopped at Cliff's for one last hurrah. We made it through the whole day with no crying until we were about to leave Cliff's. Sigh.

IMG_20190802_133748.jpg

IMG_20190802_134135.jpg

Got back to campus and emptied the vans. Another year in the books!

IMG_20190802_144449.jpg

ekuhn

The kid in the center of the group shot, "Got Em!" Well sorta - not below the waist tho...

Congrats on a successful summer camp there, Counselor!

Top Bottom