Summer Camp 2019

Robin

Yes - this is a "blog" about our summer camp adventures. I asked @SpartaBard if we should post something about our summer camp program. He said "sure" - I mean, who doesn't love seeing kids on bikes!

A little background - the program has been running for over 10 years at Morristown Beard School. One of the original people who got the program going is @SpartaBard. In 2010 I happened to post that I was off for the summer (I'm a teacher) and I was in the right place at the right time. I was asked to join as a mountain bike instructor. This is my 9th year - I took last year off to enjoy the #summerofrobin - but was pulled back thanks to Brad.

Our camp runs weekly, Monday through Friday, for 5 weeks. Kids ages 10-14 can sign up for one week or the whole summer. We meet at the Morristown Beard campus each morning and ride a different park each day.

IMG_20190701_081313.jpg

While we do have some very funny stories, we'll post photos and highlights from each day. I'll be posting my rides also in the Halter's thread too (sorry if it's a repeat). Enjoy!

Last edited:

Robin

Beginner Week - Day 1 - Loanaka and Patriots Path

Today was our first day of camp. This week is what is called "beginner week", which is more for a new mountain biker. Due to family schedules, we often get experienced and returning campers. This week we have 13 campers - of which a few are returning campers and also family members of those on the forum. We are seeing more NICA kids too (yay #morekidsonbikes)!

We started over at Loanaka Park for some skills and assessment. Not the most interesting ride, but it gives a chance to watch how kids ride and if they have the needed skills for the two groups we split into.

IMG_20190701_093049.jpg

After lunch we headed over to Patriot's Path, where we attempted to split into two groups - unfortunately my group had some issues so we turned around a little earlier than I was expecting, but the group was tired and content with "chilling" for the last 20 minutes. My Garmin 800 has been on the flux, so I couldn't upload the file, but @SpartaBard group hauled for a good distance.

IMG_20190701_124009.jpg

IMG_20190701_124314.jpg

Robin

Beginner Week Day 2 - Mercer County Park

It's a long drive from Mo-Beard to Mercer County Park - about an hour and 15 minutes. But it's a great place for our beginner week. This was my view for most of the drive. BTW, I hate driving these vans.

IMG_20190702_101037.jpg

I haven't been to Mercer since April - it's our home base for NICA practice during the winter months/until 6-Mile is rideable. Since I'm more familiar with the trails, especially past the tennis courts, I took the more adventurous group.

IMG_20190702_104348.jpg

We hit some mud...unfortunately one of our campers took a complete bath in it. She was a good sport and said "it's good for the skin". This week I happen to have a friend from high school's son. Hes doing great!

IMG_20190702_123816_2.jpg

Robin

Beginner Week Day 3 - Allaire

Almost forgot...camp necessity. I must go through 2 bags of seeds a week. I mostly eat them during my drives.

IMG_20190703_090210.jpg

A camper favorite is Allaire. Today I had the "social group". I got the usual "it's so sandy" comment at least twice.

IMG_20190703_102455.jpg

It was hot and humid. Two brothers who have the same bike have been having saddle issues - it comes loose no matter how tight or how often I fix it. So while I was stopped, I pointed out blueberry bushes. They aren't really ready yet, but it kept the group occupied while I dealt with the annoying saddles.

IMG_20190703_103902.jpg

IMG_20190703_103912.jpg

We are off tomorrow for the holiday - will resume Friday! Thanks for reading!

Robin

Beginner Week Day 4 - 6 Mile

Last day of beginner week. Probably a good thing as some of the campers were starting to get on each other's nerves - well, more two brothers. I'm sure all of Somerset County heard them on the trail having an argument! But overall, a great group this week.

IMG_20190705_083001.jpg

Saw @rick81721 while I was putting bandaids on a knee - I was embarrassed that my group was scatter along the trail. Sorry! Lots of other happy faces. Also had a @dnap spotting as we were finishing and I was dealing with a broken chain.

IMG_20190705_095604.jpg
IMG_20190705_103253.jpg

@SpartaBard and I wore our Halter's jerseys today.

IMG_20190705_120003.jpg

Robin

Week 2 Day 1 - Patriot's Path

We resume our regularly scheduled program today with week 2 of camp. This week we have 8 boys but two didn't show today. We weren't sure if we'd be riding today with the weather but we managed. Started off the morning on Patriot's Path.

Here's @SpartaBard getting ready to drive the bus.

IMG_20190708_142216.jpg

We tried to stay together as one group but our youngest fell off the back so myself and another counselor rode with him. We chatted about science mostly. Then we caught up with Brad's group.

IMG_20190708_104320.jpg

IMG_20190708_104319.jpg

On our way back, one of the campers got a flat. After pumping up the front tire, we realized where the puncture was and opted to put a tube in. Problem was that it's a thru-axle and it was put on so tight we couldn't get the wheel off. So Brad and the older brother walked the bike to a road while I took the other campers to the van and bus. Our older counselor went and picked them up while I kept the other campers entertained at lunch.

IMG_20190708_111853.jpg

Since one camper/bike was out for the afternoon, I volunteered to stay with him and another camper and counselor while Brad headed back out. We talked about the 21 counties of NJ and various flags of countries. Then the two boys chased each other around while I ate sunflower seeds.

IMG_20190708_135909.jpg

Robin

Week 2 Day 2 - 6-Mile

Due to camp politics, we were down a counselor - so there are three of us. Two campers were also sick and one stayed on campus. With 5 strong riders, we stayed together as one group at 6-Mile. There were puddles in the usual spots on Blue but Orange was in good shape. Mostly hero dirt and by tomorrow, it will be good.

We managed to get on the same radio channel as the adjacent camp. It was entertaining hearing @SpartaBard chime in to their conversations. There was something about chickens and watermelon numbers for dinner.

I didn't get many photos because I wore shorts without pockets so my phone was tucked away in my pack. But here's a photo of my lunch - the staff at camp always send me off with a great lunch. And this year they got GF buns so I don't have to eat just deli meat slapped together! When we ride 6-Mile, we pack our lunches and eat mid-ride.

IMG_20190709_080039.jpg

Bikes unloaded from the van and ready to ride.

IMG_20190709_094635.jpg

We must be doing our job because the bus ride back was quiet and the campers were beat waiting for pick up.

IMG_20190709_145448.jpg

Nox tomorrow!

Rich W

Warning! Robin and Brad have been entrusted with developing the next generation of Wolter mountain bikers (to kick all your a$$es for years to come). Seriously though, my daughter loved her week at camp (and wanted to cancel the rest of her summer activities so she could go back for more). Robin and Brad do a great job.

Robin

Week 2 Day 3 - Nox

This morning we had a seed fail - @SpartaBard knocked our seeds over. Luckily only a few escaped.

IMG_20190710_081335.jpg

Today we headed to Nockamixon - a camper favorite. While the trail sign says "open", conditions on South Park were less than ideal. Large mud puddles.

IMG_20190710_102344.jpg

Obligatory photo at the Gnome Home.

IMG_20190710_112602.jpg

Some shots of the kids riding fun things.

IMG_20190710_125343.jpg

IMG_20190710_112457_1.jpg

IMG_20190710_112451.jpg

Berries were in their prime - every time we stopped it was an opportunity to snack.

IMG_20190710_113915.jpg

Another day down - BBQ at KVSP tomorrow!

IMG_20190710_144700.jpg

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Week 2 Day 3 - Nox

This morning we had a seed fail - @SpartaBard knocked our seeds over. Luckily only a few escaped.

View attachment 99493

Today we headed to Nockamixon - a camper favorite. While the trail sign says "open", conditions on South Park were less than ideal. Large mud puddles.

View attachment 99492

Obligatory photo at the Gnome Home.

View attachment 99488

Some shots of the kids riding fun things.

View attachment 99486

View attachment 99489

View attachment 99490

Berries were in their prime - every time we stopped it was an opportunity to snack.

View attachment 99487

Another day down - BBQ at KVSP tomorrow!

View attachment 99485

you cant do the bbq at kvsp on friday? so i can crash it!

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1 on Friday for KVSP BBQ
Because crashing reasons also.

Top Bottom