Subie Talk

rlb

I love that turbo in my Ascent.

I have just over 1200 miles on mine now, so I'm not babying it as much anymore and yeah that turbo is nice! It's got good pickup especially for the size of the vehicle. I've yet to really get into it though, going to give it a few more miles first.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Getting a new (or newish) car this coming year and I was considering a WRX. Want something fun my son and I can take to car meets. Only subie I've had was an 07 nonturbo outback which as noted had a plethora of issues. Also considering a GTI or another truck but I thought I'd ask here about WRXes. Everything is expensive these days and used models are the same price as new ones. But curious if there are years to avoid.

sundaydoug

It's difficult to beat the combination of fun, practicality, affordability, and reliability of a WRX. Yes, they have their issues, but like with anything else most of those issues can be avoided with regular maintenance and knowing how the car wants to be driven. The problem with WRXs in particular is because they have big potential and are relatively affordable they draw a young demographic that wants to squeeze every drop of power out of the motor with relatively little attention paid to doing it safely. People want the WOOOOSH turbo sound so they install an aftermarket intake with no accompanying tune and wonder why they have problems. Same thing with exhaust modifications. Or they don't check the oil regularly (very important in these cars) and then by the time the oil light comes on it's already too late.

That being said, there are some legitimately negative things to take into consideration with Subarus. The interiors are relatively cheap. They rattle. All of them. You just get used to it. You can also make the body dent by just looking at it the wrong way.

This might have already been mentioned but some Subarus (at least EJs) are prone to leaking and/or consuming oil. Hence the need for checking oil level regularly.

My daily driver is a 2012 STi hatchback with 150K. It's got a Stage 1 Cobb tune and a some driveline bushing/mount upgrades. Otherwise stock. Best car ever, and it's my 5th Subaru. Never had a major problem with any of them.

Last edited:

Robson

It's difficult to beat the combination of fun, practicality, affordability, and reliability of a WRX. Yes, they have their issues, but like with anything else most of those issues can be avoided with regular maintenance and knowing how the car wants to be driven. The problem with WRXs in particular is because they have big potential and are relatively affordable they draw a young demographic that wants to squeeze every drop of power out of the motor with relatively little attention paid to doing it safely. People want the WOOOOSH turbo sound so they install an aftermarket intake with no accompanying tune and wonder why they have problems. Same thing with exhaust modifications. Or they don't check the oil regularly (very important in these cars) and then by the time the oil light comes on it's already too late.

That being said, there are some legitimately negative things to take into consideration with Subarus. The interiors are relatively cheap. They rattle. All of them. You just get used to it. You can also make the body dent by just looking at it the wrong way.

This might have already been mentioned but some Subarus (at least EJs) are prone to leaking and/or consuming oil. Hence the need for checking oil level regularly.

My daily driver is a 2012 STi hatchback with 150K. It's got a Stage 1 Cobb tune and a some driveline bushing/mount upgrades. Otherwise stock. Best car ever, and it's my 5th Subaru. Never had a major problem with any of them.
I have owned Forester 2003, Legacy 2011 (my son drives it) and now Ascent Touring 2019. No rattle in any of them. Interior in my car is not cheap at all.

Reactions: rlb

sundaydoug

I have owned Forester 2003, Legacy 2011 (my son drives it) and now Ascent Touring 2019. No rattle in any of them. Interior in my car is not cheap at all.

Here's my list:

'05 WRX sedan 5sp
'09 Legacy 2.5 non-turbo auto
'07 Impreza wagon 5sp
a different '09 Legacy 2.5 non-turbo auto
'12 STi 6sp

All of them had rather cheap interiors that developed rattles. It's noteworthy that I put close to half a million miles on these cars combined. Lower-mileage cars (or newer cars) probably don't rattle as much.

I didn't really care about the cheap interiors though because the cars were all fun and reliable.

Last edited:

rlb

Agree with this. While I don't have high miles on any of mine, I took my first Outback (2017) to 68k miles without a squeak. My 2018 Outback with 36k miles has a rattle near the eyesight cameras which is a known issue with a fix. I just don't have the motivation to fix it (not my daily, and the Mrs doesn't notice it). Otherwise, quiet. My Ascent only has 1300 miles but its super quiet so far.

Also have driven a 2016 Forester (shared company car) that has not seen a kind life and it's quiet too.

rlb

I had a Crosstrek sport loaner earlier this week (with the 2.5). I didn't put a while lot of miles on it and didn't really have a chance to push it, but initial impressions didn't wow me. Unless the 2.0 Crosstrek is downright anemic the 2.5 might not be worth the update. Then again, a back to back drive would be the best test.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
My wife has a 2021 Sport 2.5 and my daughter has a 2016 2.0. I honestly can't tell the difference. 30hp isn't much.

one piece crank

@one piece crank I have a 17 Impreza wagon that has the matching 2.0 but a 5 speed manual, it's fast enough to merge onto 80, I'm looking at the same model as you and honestly I'd love a turbo or the larger motor but it's not needed. I'm at 80k now and beat the shit out of my car I've only replaced oils and brakes. The Crosstreks have larger rotors so I'll assume you won't have my one complaint of warping rotors every 25k but that's due to my driving. Do it I don't think you'll regret it.
I've been beating myself up on this, but decided I have to go for the 6spd manual. That manual is not long for the mainstream automotive world. Plus, my son loves his manual 2003 VW, and that's a skill and mindset worth preserving! Undecided on the wheels & lift, but I will have a custom lightbar fab'd, that doesn't interfere with the front plate, and add LED driving lights.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I've been beating myself up on this, but decided I have to go for the 6spd manual. That manual is not long for the mainstream automotive world. Plus, my son loves his manual 2003 VW, and that's a skill and mindset worth preserving! Undecided on the wheels & lift, but I will have a custom lightbar fab'd, that doesn't interfere with the front plate, and add LED driving lights.

Manual helps keeps your hand off the phone.

Anyway I have decided I'm going to sell my car to carvana, they offered 15k for my. I only paid 17k I think it would be stupid not to.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
haha i dont think anyone wants to see a open exhaust on a 4Runner...

but Mandi has the 6 speed accord sport, an off the shelf tune gets it to 300hp and down to 14.00... hmmm

Now I'm not sure I miss the hatch as much, but making mustangs get bent out of shape was worth it lol

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
first fell in love with the body style in Gran Turismo lol
hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom