studding tires

Kaleidopete

My studded Cakeeaters 2.8 work great!
WH01.jpg

Leftymuk

Would it make any sense to get a set of studded 27.5"x 3.0" fro the Fug? Would love to ride in some snow without slamming my ass 20 times in a ride like I did in February, but I'm not quite ready to buy a fat bike.
Not quite ready to buy a fat bike........so borrow one for a nice ride and you will change your mind in a heartbeat

grilledcheeseking

Not quite ready to buy a fat bike........so borrow one for a nice ride and you will change your mind in a heartbeat
I borrowed a buddy's pugs and tried to ride canal path from bordentown to trenton in maybe 6"? of snow but gave up and took the train. Maybe just don't know how to ride a fatbike?

I remember seeing an article back in the day about someone racing fatbikes in Alaska or something. Looking closely at the pics, they took the NDS pedal off so the bike was easier to push. ?

I've had decent luck riding cross bike as transportation and on paths in the snow. Have done laps of wharton on a 29er in snow.

Not a hater, just don't get it.

Fat Trout

I borrowed a buddy's pugs and tried to ride canal path from bordentown to trenton in maybe 6"? of snow but gave up and took the train. Maybe just don't know how to ride a fatbike?

I remember seeing an article back in the day about someone racing fatbikes in Alaska or something. Looking closely at the pics, they took the NDS pedal off so the bike was easier to push. ?

I've had decent luck riding cross bike as transportation and on paths in the snow. Have done laps of wharton on a 29er in snow.

They don't perform miracles. I guess I had hopes they would plow through deep snow ha ha. Nope. On slightly packed trails, its a total blast and you can definitely see where the low pressure wider tires help. In heavy leaves I love it too. It gives me another reason to try to get on the bike when I might otherwise find an excuse not to. Not for everyone tho.

grilledcheeseking

They don't perform miracles. I guess I had hopes they would plow through deep snow ha ha. Nope. On slightly packed trails, its a total blast and you can definitely see where the low pressure wider tires help. In heavy leaves I love it too. It gives me another reason to try to get on the bike when I might otherwise find an excuse not to. Not for everyone tho.
Haha! I'm sure it's fun, you just have to own the bike or borrow it at the right time!

Yay bikes!

FitmanNJ

At about 4-5" of snow, the fatter setups begin to show their special value. Being lighter bodyweight helps, too!:)

serviceguy

WorldWideCyclery has 45NRTH Wrathchild 27.5x3.0 at $155.00, still kind of steep but I have a 15% coupon I think I will be putting to use...

qclabrat

WorldWideCyclery has 45NRTH Wrathchild 27.5x3.0 at $155.00, still kind of steep but I have a 15% coupon I think I will be putting to use...
Makes sense based on your home parks. You have a second wheel set? You'll more likely use them as swapping tubeless tires gets old fast.

serviceguy

Makes sense based on your home parks. You have a second wheel set? You'll more likely use them as swapping tubeless tires gets old fast.

I do, as long as I true it! I ended up having 3 wheelsets for the Fug, a ghetto 29" 27mm inner width, a legit DT-Swiss 29" 30mm inner width currently on the bike with 2.6" tires, and a RF Arc 27.5" 40mm inner width that needs to be trued ready for 3.0" tires (the Fug accepts up to 3.25" with 27.5"+ wheels). Having second thoughs, the discount code I have does not apply to already discounted item, $310 is a little steep for a set of tires and I'm not sure I like the carbide/aluminum concave stud configuration. I'll let it simmer...

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG

It all comes down to tire pressure. You’d be amazed at how low you can go. 5-8 psi for 4-6” and I’m 200lbs.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
@qclabrat you may alread know this but those studs are for inserting into stud-ready tires. They go from outside into a recess in the tire’s lugs.

In a prior post I shared pictures of my home made studded tires. Only had to stud the two rows of lugs down the center of the tire since when you’re turning on ice you don’t want to lean much anyway. Drill pilot holes from outside in, then screw panhead 3/8” or 3/16” screws from inside out.

qclabrat

@qclabrat you may alread know this but those studs are for inserting into stud-ready tires. They go from outside into a recess in the tire’s lugs.

In a prior post I shared pictures of my home made studded tires. Only had to stud the two rows of lugs down the center of the tire since when you’re turning on ice you don’t want to lean much anyway. Drill pilot holes from outside in, then screw panhead 3/8” or 3/16” screws from inside out.
Yes, my tires are ready for the pushed in studs. Ordered 600 new studs to replace lost ones on two sets and newly studding a fat set I got from @Kaleidopete

Top Bottom