studding tires

qclabrat

Using the regular push in studs, not the uber expensive gripstuds
Is there a secret or better tool to install them. Got about 500 to install and rather not spend a whole weekend on this.
1572358136600.png

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll install them for $1 each. Not sure how, but for $1 each, I'll figure it out as I go.

I'm assuming the tires are studdable?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
After studding my own pair of tires back in the 90's I realized why studded tires cost so much. And will gladly pay for it now.

Of course that was with 100's of sheet metal screws.

Mr.Moto

Thanks Bob, already have a lead on one. But will keep that in mind. What are you currently riding on ice and snow? You always seem to have the lowdown on tires
L

Currently have D5’s and Ground Control. Been looking to upgrade my fat bike so I can go bigger than 65mm rims. Works okay in light or packed snow. Not as well on ice. Bought some partially studded D5’s off someone here but have not tried them yet because too lazy to swap for just a few days of ice.

Think @JimN has the right idea to do a second set of wheels for studded winter ice riding days.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
have not tried them yet because too lazy to swap for just a few days of ice

Yeah, I'm way too lazy to swap tires back and forth. To be honest, I'm probably too lazy to swap wheelsets back and forth too, but if it means riding bikes on ice then maybe I'll deal. Too bad studded tires are so GD expensive! Not sure it's worth it to get a wheelset and studded tires for those 0-2 weeks a year that I'll want them.

qclabrat

Have a cheapo set of weinmann boat anchors I'm going to use tubed with the studs. Not worth spending real money where and if I ride at all

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Have a cheapo set of weinmann boat anchors I'm going to use tubed with the studs. Not worth spending real money where and if I ride at all

Do they make a gun for those, like the ones for car tires?
(i had to stud car tires ((that sounds weird)) when i worked in the auto warehouse. think i was making $2/hr - that was a money maker for the boss)

qclabrat

Do they make a gun for those, like the ones for car tires?
(i had to stud car tires ((that sounds weird)) when i worked in the auto warehouse. think i was making $2/hr - that was a money maker for the boss)
Minimum wage was $1.25 during the Kennedy era, you did okay. Haven't seen the guns used for bike tires, probably too much power. Found a trick to get the rubber and stud wet before inserting. Hmm, doesn't sound right....

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Minimum wage was $1.25 during the Kennedy era, you did okay. Haven't seen the guns used for bike tires, probably too much power. Found a trick to get the rubber and stud wet before inserting. Hmm, doesn't sound right....

i was a tween, so the 70s!

wait, i think this was a dig on my age :D
I'm only a few years older than Iggy, not in the @Mitchian Epoch category!

serviceguy

Would it make any sense to get a set of studded 27.5"x 3.0" fro the Fug? Would love to ride in some snow without slamming my ass 20 times in a ride like I did in February, but I'm not quite ready to buy a fat bike.

Top Bottom