Stokes State Forest Conditions

mtn

Alright, if anyone ever sees a tree that is too big for a handsaw, please post its location here, so I can pass that information on to the lead trail maintenance guy. Thank you.

As of Saturday, there were still a few big trees down on the bottom of Tinsley. The branches were trimmed though, so park maintenance may have already been preparing to clear them.

I still have to check Silver Mine too. There were some big trees down there, but I haven't been on that trail in over a month.

mtn

Silver Mine is clear.
Tower Trail: about 3/4 of a mile is clear starting from Sunrise Mtn Rd and heading towards Coursen.

mtn

Haven't been clearing trails at stokes much due to the cold weather and the snow.

Though, for those of you that ride on the west/south side of 206, apparently Stoll trail has been cleared, and the lower half mile or so of the Steffen trail was cleared a few days back. I'll be back over there tomorrow and hopefully will be able to gain access to the backside of the Steffen trail. If I do, then I will also start cutting on the Shay trail also.

BadLine

Steam Mill trail is clear. No help from me. I hiked it with an handsaw and an axe but I think the school of conservation got there first.

Did you ever make it to the other side of 206?

mtn

Yeah, i did the Steffen trail a few weeks ago. The Ladder and others that are over there were cleared by Chet.

mtn

Just to clear this up to a pretty nice list.

The only trails not clear are:
Cartwright
Silver Mine connecting to Blue Mountain

BAIN

A BIG THANKS TO YOU GUYS FOR DOING THIS WORK!!!

Stokes was my go to spot for years and it was never taken care of. Has there been a management change there in the last couple of years. They wouldn't give my friends and I the time of day to clear trails.

"Get Stoked on Stokes"

If you can ride there, you can ride anywhere.

Favorite loop is coursen, swenson, tinsley, blue mountain, waterfall, backside parking lot, back to coursen, stony lake, lackner, gyps trail, 206 to car.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Was up here for the first time in YEARS on Sunday and gotta say THANKS to all you guys that helped clear the trails.

Rode a Lackner/Station/Swenson/Tinsley/then down to Steam Mill/Blue Mountain loop and the only real blow downs I encountered were two large trees right on the stream on Swenson about half way between Stony Lake and the junction with Tinsley and a massive pine down on Steam Mill only about a quarter mile in from the road and the circular campgrounds. Thanks for the hard work!

BadLine

Cartwright

Any update on Cartwright? I haven't ventured down it since Pre Sandy. Also has anyone ridden or hiked the top portion? Just wondering what the terrain is like.

jeffstick

JORBA: Waywayanda
JORBA.ORG
I have not been on Cartwright but another one fell on swensen in addition to the two by the stream. Howell is in pretty good shape too someone built a couple of water diverters. It wouldn't have been my first choice for repair but should work for a while.

mtn

Any update on Cartwright? I haven't ventured down it since Pre Sandy. Also has anyone ridden or hiked the top portion? Just wondering what the terrain is like.

Haven't been on the top portion, but the lower portion is mainly clear. I was having a slight bit of trouble with two trees (their diameter is huge), so i assume they are still there.

chris12453

For those wondering. Stokes has none of the issues that most of our parks have. They didn't have any issues with the storm.

chris12453

I missed them all I suppose. Road all blue, green, yellow, orange this weekend. I did hop a few, but they weren’t big to be problematic. I’ll keep my eyes peeled if I go back up this weekend.

Top Bottom