Sterling Forest Trail Conditions

MuniMan

Redback and Hutchinson are still being actively tweaked as they get more use. Overall in good shape. There are still a few wet spots that need work.

Construction on the Munsee Eagle trail continues, 5 days a week from both ends.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
The Palisades section of the new munsee eagle is quite the bit worse with the freezer thaw going on. Until we get a hard freeze, stock to Redback, hutch and Flo works

MuniMan

The Palisades section of the new munsee eagle is quite the bit worse with the freezer thaw going on. Until we get a hard freeze, stock to Redback, hutch and Flo works

That is the northern section of the new trail.

MuniMan

The Caretaker (Long Meadow Road) parking lot was not plowed out today, two days after the storm. Other trail heads along Long Meadow were. I have a feeling the Caretaker lot isn't the 'list' as the lot didn't exist a year ago.

I did not go by the South Gate lot.

MuniMan

1) Caretaker lot was plowed out after the last storm. Thank go to the park rangers for taking notice.

2) And the usual; Please be nice to the trails and stay off them when they are muddy. The people working hard to building them would rather build more than go back and fix problems caused by selfish riders.

Mr.Moto

Rode this morning when everything was still frozen. Snow cover in a lot of areas with icy spot dispersed throughout. Good traction until you hit the ice. Unfortunately, rains have come, so probably a no go for a while.

IMG_2576.JPG

MuniMan

Hutchinson is a colossal mess right now. There to numerous to count small diameter tree tops and branches frozen into the trail between the swampy mud hole/stream crossing and the top of Redback. What is in this photo goes on for about 1/2 mile.

I cut through most of the debris but left it where is was because its frozen in. There is still up to 1.5 feet of snow in places.

I have not heard reports for Redback or Munsee Eagle.

IMG_1979[1].JPG

huffster

I strapped on some snow-shoes today and put some tools in my back-pack. I parked by the shed on Long Meadow. I went out in the Muncie direction. I cleared all branches/sticks from the trail for 2 miles in that direction. There were a few larger trees across the trail that I cut away with the hand saw. There was nothing needing a chain-saw. So, its 100% clear for those 2 miles. Of course, the snow needs to completely melt and then the trails need to dry. Despite it being clear, it is DEFINITELY NOT ready to ride.

Last edited:

Bleeder

Awesome thanks @huffster

BTW, if anyone can grab some of the boards at the north end and carry them to the stream by the 55 gallon drum, that'll be great. We're going to be building the bridge there once everything is hauled in.

MuniMan

I strapped on some snow-shoes today and put some tools in my back-pack. I parked by the shed on Long Meadow. I went out in the Muncie direction. I cleared all branches/sticks from the trail for 2 miles in that direction. There were a few larger trees across the trail that I cut away with the hand saw. There was nothing needing a chain-saw. So, its 100% clear for those 2 miles. Of course, the snow needs to completely melt and then the trails need to dry. Despite it being clear, it is DEFINITELY NOT ready to ride.

Excellent.

Was the brush still frozen into the snow or has it melted out yet? I didn't go back to Hutch yet because I figured it was still partially buried this past weekend.

huffster

The trails are still really wet. Some folks have been riding throughout the winter in poor conditions and there are a lot of ruts and damage to the trail already. Please don't make it worse. Please wait.

Bleeder

Go ride. I was out Wednesday. Conditions were better than I expected. Wet where expected, but we didn't get any rain yesterday so we should be good. Trees are down on Hutch with an ongoing debate as to when we are going to remove them. Also 1 tree down on Floworks 17. So no PR's on those two sections.

Cannonbill

A couple of down trees, two-three areas of mud, they typical places just very wet right now. 98 percent perfect. Strava time indicated that I hit it faster than I had any right to yesterday, given that the bike was hung up for the winter.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions