Sterling Forest Trail Conditions

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Absolutely man. It was great when they started but not sure who's idea it was to make a ridiculous amount of optional routes and corners that go to the same spot. Just gives the idea to new mtbrs that It's ok to make make your own routes and not stay on designated trail. It's just a mess In there. You can certainly tell that it was built by someone who has no idea about mtb trail building. The hiking trails in there are fantastic for mtbn and go on and on. That's the stuff we should be getting access to. But what ya gonna do...

Let me again explain to @gingertooth go ride elsewhere.

These Sterling trails were designed by a mountain biker. If you don't like the A, B or C lines, go ride somewhere else. Far far away.

:)

MuniMan

I walked the loop today from the Caretaker lot. Zero storm damage on Hutchinson and the portion of Redback that I walked. 3 trees on Munsee-Eagle. Only one needs a chainsaw but it’s a clean log across the trail. Just one actually blocks the trail.

The Americorps crew will be back full time this coming Thursday if I got the dates correct, so I have a feeling the trail will get cleaned up this week.

Otherwise the trails are really wet with all this rain. So please give them time to dry out.

sundaydoug

These Sterling trails were designed by a mountain biker. If you don't like the A, B or C lines, go ride somewhere else. Far far away.

Exactly. I'm not sure how someone could ride these Sterling trails and complain about anything. The design was obviously done by a mountain biker and is very well thought-out. Sterling also provides a welcome alternative to the raw technical riding that exists in spots like Ringwood, Wawayanda, and Ramapo Mountain.

gingertooth

Don't worry I do, only time I go there is when I have friends who want to see it. The better riding plus on the other side indeed. Sorry to see such poorly built trails though..

onetracker

Don't worry I do, only time I go there is when I have friends who want to see it. The better riding plus on the other side indeed. Sorry to see such poorly built trails though..
Dude, why are you such a hater of this trail system? A ton of folks worked (and continue to work) really hard on this project? Plus many other folks really enjoy riding at Sterling. If you want to do something constructive, join the build and maybe some of your design ideas would be incorporated into the trail network. It is easy to sit behind the keyboard and be negative...

gingertooth

Dude, why are you such a hater of this trail system? A ton of folks worked (and continue to work) really hard on this project? Plus many other folks really enjoy riding at Sterling. If you want to do something constructive, join the build and maybe some of your design ideas would be incorporated into the trail network. It is easy to sit behind the keyboard and be negative...

Most of those here already know I'm a troll and besides that I am also like you thankful that we have people out there building great trails in beautiful places such as this. What bugs me most about this area is that people rave about it but don't understand that part of trail etiquette is staying on the designated trail. What trail builders here have done is create too many optional routes over unnecessary objects or around them and that gives not all but to those who are new to the sport the idea that It's ok to ride that way in other trail systems. This trail system is a perfect example of it and once it happens there's no fixing that problem. Preventing that when the trail is first built is the best option and here it wasn't even thought of. I've been riding in this place for 22 yrs on a mtb and it's a beautiful peace of land indeed, it's just a shame that considering these trails are not even that old they are a royal mess and will only get worse...i hate to sound like a nasty fuc here but it's the truth....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Most of those here already know I'm a troll and besides that I am also like you thankful that we have people out there building great trails in beautiful places such as this. What bugs me most about this area is that people rave about it but don't understand that part of trail etiquette is staying on the designated trail. What trail builders here have done is create too many optional routes over unnecessary objects or around them and that gives not all but to those who are new to the sport the idea that It's ok to ride that way in other trail systems. This trail system is a perfect example of it and once it happens there's no fixing that problem. Preventing that when the trail is first built is the best option and here it wasn't even thought of. I've been riding in this place for 22 yrs on a mtb and it's a beautiful peace of land indeed, it's just a shame that considering these trails are not even that old they are a royal mess and will only get worse...i hate to sound like a nasty fuc here but it's the truth....

Seriously, who gives a shit if people make go-arounds for things they can't ride? When did this actually become a problem? Why is this such an issue with some people?

You guys with this "the world will end if someone creates a go-around for that big rock" need to drop the inflated ego. It doesn't make the slightest difference in your enjoyment of the trail. Just do your thing and stop worrying about what others are doing. I mean, do you throw a fit of rage at the people who add ketchup to truffle fries? If not, you should. That is a far more egregious social faux pas than trying to enjoy the outdoors.

gingertooth

Seriously, who gives a shit if people make go-arounds for things they can't ride? When did this actually become a problem? Why is this such an issue with some people?

You guys with this "the world will end if someone creates a go-around for that big rock" need to drop the inflated ego. It doesn't make the slightest difference in your enjoyment of the trail. Just do your thing and stop worrying about what others are doing. I mean, do you throw a fit of rage at the people who add ketchup to truffle fries? If not, you should. That is a far more egregious social faux pas than trying to enjoy the outdoors.

One trail known as "single track" is ok with me and usually what some mtbrs dream of riding...not to mention less erosion, less maintenance and less confused mtbrs when riding the trails..

goldsbar

I've never been to the "new" Sterling Forest (I used to ride my bike on the old ATV trails many years ago), but most obstacles will develop alternatives unless it's the only possible way through a trail. I like obstacles/tech riding, but if I'm hammering, my eye will gravitate to the easy way. It's just natural as the obvious way is around the obstacle. Once Fall comes with the leaves, forget it.

That said, it does piss me off when people build rock ramps on 12" ledges, but I get over it :)

Gingertooth - I suggest Tigers Blood at Mahlon or - assuming it hasn't changed in the last few years - Lumpy Bumpy at Allamuchy. No easy way around those obstacles.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
One trail known as "single track" is ok with me and usually what some mtbrs dream of riding...not to mention less erosion, less maintenance and less confused mtbrs when riding the trails..

LOL OMG did you just cite "confused mountain bikers" as a reason? That's pure gold.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Gingertooth - I suggest Tigers Blood at Mahlon or - assuming it hasn't changed in the last few years - Lumpy Bumpy at Allamuchy. No easy way around those obstacles.

Tiger Blood constantly gets go arounds that the builder needs to close down. Personally, go arounds don't really bother me, as long as the real line/feature doesn't get closed.

@gingertooth just likes to complain about stuff. Everybody else loves Sterling; please keep doing what you guys are doing, and the rest of us are all super happy and thankful for all your hard work!

gingertooth

Tiger Blood constantly gets go arounds that the builder needs to close down. Personally, go arounds don't really bother me, as long as the real line/feature doesn't get closed.

@gingertooth just likes to complain about stuff. Everybody else loves Sterling; please keep doing what you guys are doing, and the rest of us are all super happy and thankful for all your hard work!
I agree Jim, I also sometimes wonder in my last life I was a better person but, I'm not sure if I was

gingertooth

LOL OMG did you just cite "confused mountain bikers" as a reason? That's pure gold.
What I think the problem is Norm, is when you ride damn good trail all year long and get spoiled and then ride this place that's a total disaster I guess you get quite disappointed...but then again I'd rather ride this mess than illegal built trails like high mt or Montclair area where trail builders are using leaf blowers to build trail the size of a car lane..It is what it is I guess.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions