Sterling Forest Trail Conditions

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Conditions were great yesterday. Had a chance to check out the section of new trail being built. The quality of the work is first-rate and it’s clear lots of hard work is in play. However I’m curious as to the width of the trail. Definitely wider (and smoother) than the typical singletrack of the existing loop. I assume that’s intentional? Is it to create some sections of “flow trail” to complement the technical sections elsewhere?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Conditions were great yesterday. Had a chance to check out the section of new trail being built. The quality of the work is first-rate and it’s clear lots of hard work is in play. However I’m curious as to the width of the trail. Definitely wider (and smoother) than the typical singletrack of the existing loop. I assume that’s intentional? Is it to create some sections of “flow trail” to complement the technical sections elsewhere?
I think it's hard to build singletrack with an excavator. That's one of the drawbacks of machine built stuff vs. cut by hand. With that said, I'm not exactly sure what the plan is for the new trails. I hear the word "flow" thrown around but seems like there's too much up and down to make that viable. It'll still be awesome so I don't care.
:thumbsup:

moose35

Yes the trail is pretty wide in some spots. Some of it is intended and some will get narrowed as time progresses. Some of the wde areas have alot of underlying work to provide sustainability and hoping they are there for many years to come
Loop should be done pretty soon. Machine work just started up again this week.

MuniMan

Your ‘complement’ observation is absolutely correct.

JerseyPete

Is this park going to be dried out by Monday?
This morning we had downpours and hail. About 4 inches of rain in a bucket I placed outside. Then this afternoon we were hit again with a lot of rain.
If it does dry out, bring bug spray as it is already swampy and buggy here, and I am not far from there.
@serviceguy how was it up by Ringwood today?

serviceguy

This morning we had downpours and hail. About 4 inches of rain in a bucket I placed outside. Then this afternoon we were hit again with a lot of rain.
If it does dry out, bring bug spray as it is already swampy and buggy here, and I am not far from there.
@serviceguy how was it up by Ringwood today?
It rained rather substantially for most of the day, then it cleared, I went for a ride with the dog and it started pouring again.

moose35

Yeah it was completely perfect today. Not an ounce of standing water anywhere. Didn’t hit the new stuff.
Glad you had great conditions.
Make sure to stop by again to check out the new part. Should be done very shortly. It's going to be a great addition to the loop.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Glad you had great conditions.
Make sure to stop by again to check out the new part. Should be done very shortly. It's going to be a great addition to the loop.

Is the second loop going to be fully complete end-to-end? If so, which direction do you suggest riding it?

moose35

Is the second loop going to be fully complete end-to-end? If so, which direction do you suggest riding it?

Yes the second loop is almost complete. Just a small section left to go. Although it's one of the more difficult sections.
I'd start from the caretakers lot. I feel the flow is better but at the same time there's a few sections that are better going back towards the caretakers lot. It works as an out and back pretty well.

So both ways I guess.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
The out and back from Laurel Meadow parking lot is just about finished. You can park there then ride to the main loop. The full (secondary) loop isn't complete. Switchbacks are being built up the old Redback hiking trail. When that final section is complete, you'll have a full loop. I think Shepard said around the end of summer.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The out and back from Laurel Meadow parking lot is just about finished. You can park there then ride to the main loop. The full (secondary) loop isn't complete. Switchbacks are being built up the old Redback hiking trail. When that final section is complete, you'll have a full loop. I think Shepard said around the end of summer.

On a different topic, what is this?

This just popped up on TF recently.

Cannonbill

On a different topic, what is this?

This just popped up on TF recently.
I haven’t ridden it in about 2 years, so this info may be old, it is old trail. Not particularly well maintained. It goes from the lake to the top of the mountain, through some swampy sections. With some love it can be excellent as there is some nice scenery and decent elevation gain.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
This was Sterling on Monday, December 12th. Conditions are slippery but ridable as long as temps stay below 32°. Ride early and before temperatures rise or you'll be in for a muddy mess.

Sterling 12:12:22.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions