Sterling Forest Trail Conditions

Not that they can't do it, but why would they be hunting in the area least likely to have deer? I'd think they'd avoid anywhere near mtbers.
There are plenty of deer in and around the Sterling trails. You just don’t see them. I assume a stray bullet is the biggest danger, but I don’t fear being mistaken for a deer. I’m never that concerned when I ride during hunting season.

Depends on school of thought, but some hunters believe mountain bikers, hikers, etc.. cause deer to move so they like it. Some hunters don't like it. I feel like if I go out for let's say a 2hr ride during dawn or dusk, it's strange for me if I don't see a deer during my ride. Sometimes I joke if hunters rode mountain bikes, hunting would be so easy. Personally, I feel I have a greater chance of falling on my head and dying than being struck by a bullet at Sterling whether it be mistaken for game or stray bullet.

Near perfect for those with studded tires. Most of the trail is hard frozen styrofoam. Some frozen icy foot prints closer to the parking lots.

I walked it with the dog. Did some bobsledding on my butt in a few spots

No down trees. Just some low hanging branches due to ice.

BDA4067C-8803-43F7-9B3E-758824588430.jpeg
C1B7CA5A-4508-4374-98CE-91C182C0F6CF.jpeg
A9B60A70-40C3-43B9-97B8-1E589D13E06C.jpeg

DC95C829-8D56-43F0-B10B-E50D7C79191C.jpeg

Any new intel on current trail conditions?
Conditions are shit - soft snow, plenty of mud and patches of ice throughout. Best day will probably be Sunday morning when everything has melted away and the low temps make the ground hard again.

I plan to hike there Friday and will post another update.

Typical winter freeze-thaw. Today it was frozen hard until about 10:30 before places getting sun softened up.

Areas that receive morning sun will thaw fast. That’s Redback and parts of the section of Munsee Eagle between Redback and the powerlines. Shady areas might still be ice while Redback is a muddy mess.

Please avoid riding when it’s muddy.

Also cleared up a few blowdowns, new and old.

B15B9057-C964-4E23-8859-918CC9C7D4B9.jpeg
CFB296D2-DD21-4B6D-9081-7D3A4FA23FF8.jpeg

Typical winter freeze-thaw. Today it was frozen hard until about 10:30 before places getting sun softened up.

Areas that receive morning sun will thaw fast. That’s Redback and parts of the section of Munsee Eagle between Redback and the powerlines. Shady areas might still be ice while Redback is a muddy mess.

Please avoid riding when it’s muddy.

Also cleared up a few blowdowns, new and old.

View attachment 179269View attachment 179270
Any new update on current riding conditions, is it drying out?

Something like frozen solid till it thawed and then was really muddy. I was in the park but not on the trail today. There’s still ice/snow in spots up there.

Have conditions improved with the warmer weather?.is it rideable?
As of Sunday morning there was 3” of snow that became 1.5” by noon where the sun hit it. Under the snow was soft ground. I walked the loop with the dog and didn’t see anybody else at all.

The sun has probably melted most but it will still be wet now. With clouds/rain in the forecast for Thursday and Saturday it will unfortunately stay wet.

Just wondering how the conditions were today?
Soil was a little soft when I started at 11am. Only a few muddy sections in the usual problem areas. Trails dried out nicely by the time I finished at 2pm. This is for Blauvelt and Tackamac. Sterling forest got significantly more snow so I suspect it's still muddy.

Soil was a little soft when I started at 11am. Only a few muddy sections in the usual problem areas. Trails dried out nicely by the time I finished at 2pm. This is for Blauvelt and Tackamac. Sterling forest got significantly more snow so I suspect it's still muddy.
Thank you…….

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions