Stephen's Newbie Question -- Budd Lake Access

engeler1

Hi,

I'm new to mountain biking and not in particularly good shape. I live on the western edge of Mount Olive, or SE edge of Hackettstown (US-46 and Naughright).

I've got 2 young kids and a wife so free time is at an absolute premium.

For the quickest get out and ride, someone suggested that Stephen's State Park is accessible from the back side of Budd Lake.

Would someone be willing to describe an trailhead from the back of Stephens State Park, and about a 1 hour route for me to go on.

This would allow me to put the kids to bed and run out for a quick ride. Also, if you have more than one route or any other good ideas I'd love to hear them all.

Thanks!

Eric

if mattyb doesn't chime in, PM him but IIRC, the trailhead is on firetower rd or something. all the way up top. there's a parking lot so you can't miss it. i don't know that part of the park so well but like i said, mattyb can give you the skinny.

if you wanted to shoot up to waterloo rd and go from the gate, there's a really good 1 hr. loop in the lower section.

Thanks, I'll take your suggestion to PM MattyB if he doesn't chime in within a few days.

I'd also definately be intrested in learning more about your suggestion from Waterloo Road. I guess mostly b/c I'm newer to NJ and only go to 46 to goto Sam's Club or get on I-80 the whole ITC / Waterloo Village/Road area is the bermuda triangle to me.

Could you describe how to get to the "main gate" and the 1 hour loop you're talking about?

Thanks for all the help!

ERic

Could you describe how to get to the "main gate" and the 1 hour loop you're talking about?

ERic

it's on kinney road. so for you, it's:
46 -> 80W -> 206N ->waterloo road.

it's a left off of waterloo road and right past the old concert field. coincidently, this is where JORBA fest will take place. this is actually a really good place to park b/c you can access not one, but two parks: Stephens and deer park. the link below shows "1 hour" loops in both parks:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30592279

if you don't have GPS post up and someone (probably me) will give details.

Thanks Bonefish Jake!

Looking at your Garmin map I was able to get googlemap driving directions to where you start from.

I don't have a GPS so I wouldn't mind in instructions on how to follow the loops you propose.

I think I'll ask the question as a seperate thread (since this thread is labeled Budd Lake Access), that way in the future someone's more likely to find your reponse.

Appreciate the help and look for the two new posts!

Eric

1 Hour Stephens Loop from Kinney Road

Bonefish Jake,

I don't own a GPS. Would you be willing to describe how to follow the Stephen's 1 hour loop you mapped here:

Any information on how to follow your trail would really be appreciated, as well as any commentary as to the level of difficulty of the trial.

Thanks so much!

Eric

Deer Park - 1 Hour Loop from Kinney Road

Bonefish Jake,

I don't own a GPS. Would you be willing to describe how to follow the Stephens - 1 hour loop you mapped here:

Any information on how to follow your trail would really be appreciated, as well as any commentary as to the level of difficulty of the trial.

Thanks so much!

Eric

Last edited:
I was hoping to show a couple of newbie buddies an easy 1+ hour loop at Stephens this Saturday am; between 8am - 9am. A couple of buddies of mine have been riding for the past month or so and wanted to get off the rail trail and enjoy some ST. I need to confirm with the Mrs that I can pull away that morning before committing 100%. She's a realator and won't have a confirmed schedule until Thursday/Friday. I'll post up if it's a "go".

Reggie,

Thanks! I'd be interested and will watch for your postings. To be honest, though, not only am I a newbie but I've literally never ridden mountain bike in the woods before and haven't really hard core exercised in 10 years.

I don't want to slow your group up.

Would it still be approriate to joing you?

In either way, thanks for the offer,

Eric

Bonefish Jake,

I don't own a GPS. Would you be willing to describe how to follow the Stephens - 1 hour loop you mapped here:

Thanks so much!

Eric

sure thing. after you make the left on kinney rd, you'll head down maybe 1/4 mile. there will be a giant black gate on your left. you literally can't miss it. park there. you can get around it on the right side.

from there you'll follow the road for maybe 50 - 75 yards. on your left will be a hump of dirt. at one point you'll see where it looks like a ton of people have ridden over it. ride over it. that's the start. you'll follow that around the lake. there's pretty much only one way to go from here. just stay on the trail. when it hits the first road, go directly across it. follow it up to the next dirt road and hang a left. follow that until you see the stone rail road underpass. make a rt. under it, then take your next right. you'll go though a couple streams, up a couple small hills and you'll hit a wider section of trail. two options here: go straight or make a left, go up 25 yards or so and make a hard right into the single track. either way you go, you'll end up in exactly the same place. there are a couple turns on this trail but provided you follow the sections that look the most used you'll be fine. all of this gets you to the pink trail which is a loop on the lower section. my normal loop is to follow it counter-clockwise. it'll run you out to the powerlines then back again.

there are two options when you loop around. you can either go right back the way you came (the trail as described above) or make a left and head out to the road. if you go out to the road, you'll cross the tracks and go no more than 50 yards to get to the next section of trail which is on the left. it's not hard to find but i've ridden by it a couple times w/o paying attention. on that section there is only one trail and one way to go. a bunch of little ups and downs, a few tight turns then a gradual downhill with three jumps going down that leads down to the road. bang a left, head up the road and back to gate.

rinse, repeat, enjoy.

folks, chime in if i've missed anything.

the description sounds like the loop I've done with Stratocaster/Mattybfat crew...and also on the GPS map posted. Great write up/summary! there are some trails that are blazed/marked but most aren't. My suggestion is to definitely go with people that know the area.

Once you do that loop, you'll remember it/know it. I haven't ventured on the Budd Lake side but its on my list of things to do.

Reggie rides there often and knows the loop - definitely consider joining him for a ride Saturday. I have to work Saturday morning but ride there often and will post as well.

Have fun - its a great place!

Thanks so much for the description Bonefish Jake! I really appreicate it. Will post how it turns out first time I get free to do this!

it's a pretty common loop in there. i keep planning on heading up into bud lake but this loop is just too fun. the swoop-swooops are fantastic in there!

as for your first venture, just keep your eyes on the trail and the markers. the pink trail is pretty well marked all the way though. once you get that loop dialed, you can venture out and up a little more.

Reggie,

Thanks! I'd be interested and will watch for your postings. To be honest, though, not only am I a newbie but I've literally never ridden mountain bike in the woods before and haven't really hard core exercised in 10 years.

I don't want to slow your group up.

Would it still be approriate to joing you?

In either way, thanks for the offer,

Eric

Eric,

No worries. We've all started out at one point in our lives. This is a truly beginner friendly pace with no drops. I want to get my buddies back into the sport, so we'll be hitting up the Pink trail which is very beginner friendly and A LOT of fun. :D

Like Jake had mentioned, we'll meet at the iron gates and ride from there. I'll confirm my attendence and start time later this week.

Skiphreak needs to call in sick on Saturday and join us ;)

I'll keep you posted.

Can I stress.... mr. Engeler... please, please ride at a pace that is comfortable with you. do not try and "keep up" with anyone you are riding with, it will only make you want to go home and chuck your bike in the nearest dumpster.
If you go on a beginner ride, just enjoy riding the way you are comfortable. Watch some the more experienced riders on the ways they tackle some of the ever present obstacles on the trails. If you have problems with anything on the trails ASK someone who you are with, most likely they will be more than happy to share with you tips and tricks to make your learning more enjoyable.
The more you learn, the more you know, and that combined with experience and skills will make for a really fun time.
Just be safe, dont bite off more than you can chew, and enjoy riding.

Eric,

We're on for tomorrow at 8:30am if interested. Again, this is a beginner ride for a few buddies getting back into riding. Casual no drop ride.

The Pink Trail is da bomb

Make sure to ride the middle trail (one without blazes) in the downhill direction. Sure to make any rider smile, noob or veteran.

Reggie,

Thanks for the invitation, I appreciate it!

As it turned out Saturday morning I had to watch the kids while my wife got her hair done, so I couldn't have joined you.

Sounds like you had a great ride, maybe next time for me!

Eric

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions