State Park Closures AND Reopenings!

stilluf

Park closures are tough and I personally disagree. But the notion that you can still sneak into a closed park and ride is a terrible idea. This attitude (shared on a public website) reinforces the perception of ‘rogue ‘ bikers breaking laws and not caring about anyone else. So please stay out of closed parks, don’t post about if you do , and don’t use Strava!

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Basically all the “noob” things that every user group has is multiplied by 10 right now. Even my morning rides have had more people than normal, including numerous people standing the the middle of the trail looking at their phones. It is like the majority of the population never knew parks existed.
Lol yeah I keep waiting to see the headline “Family - never knew parks existed, spreads out five deep across trails, decides mountain bikes are a danger to community...”

ryderX

Just got his in the mail

View attachment 124670

State Parks and Forests
CLOSED

Governor Murphy announced that effective at 8pm on Tuesday, April 7, 2020, all state parks and forests will be closed until further notice. This full closure includes all park lots, grounds, facilities, trails, playgrounds.

HIKING PROHIBITED
All park gates and entrances are CLOSED. Trail use is PROHIBITED. Save yourself the trip and STAY HOME to help limit the spread of COVID-19.

AREAS PATROLLED
New Jersey State Park Police will patrol park areas to ensure the public is following the Governor’s directives to stay home to help limit the spread of COVID-19.

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER
To keep your family and our entire New Jersey family safe, stay home, practice good hygiene and follow all State and CDC guidelines concerning COVID-19.

MORE INFO
To learn more about COVID-19 or find resources, go to https://www.COVID19.NJ.GOV, text NJCOVID to 898-211, or call 211.

For updated parks information, please follow this Facebook page or visit the Division of Parks and Forestry’s website: https://njparksandforests.org
Biking doesn’t start with the letter H. I think we’re good.

TheGerd

I’m not feeling so good about my luck, I was skiing at Killington on the weekend of March 13th, went to bed and on March 14th they were shut down. Went out today for my first ride of the season, did a short loop at Six Mile and when I get home I find out, you guessed it Parks are shut down. WTF, but I still gotta go to work, somehow financial printing is essential. WTF again.

gpTron

Glad I got a last ride in this morning. Beat my best time on my favorite segment and successfully got it on Gopro too. A fitting end I suppose.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Basically all the “noob” things that every user group has is multiplied by 10 right now. Even my morning rides have had more people than normal, including numerous people standing the the middle of the trail looking at their phones. It is like the majority of the population never knew parks existed.
This...I passed 2 couples today at Lewmo looking at their phones/maps in the middle of the trail. I saw them from a distance and hit my bell, they just looked at me as I approached and then I had to stop (from a distance) and ask them 1 if they needed directions and 2, can they get out of the middle of the trail.

TimBay

I'm gonna say the Park is closed, trails and all. Allowing people to use trails but not the parking lot pushes people to park in residential areas, which would not be a good idea.

I will also say that if you have a stealthy way to get into a park, once on the trails your presence will be off the radar of law enforcement.
You happen to know what the fines are if caught? Monmouth announced they're closing shop tomorrow. I'm hoping to ride there, but want to understand the legal risks.

TimBay

This sucks.. now the trails will be clear to level up on KOMs but now I’ll have to go dark so there is no evidence which kills the idea of nabbing all the koms
Go dark now but then un-private everything when this is all over to collect your prizes. What do you think the statute of limitations is on rogue trail riding once parks are open again?
Oh snap. I woulda just kept the strava on like an idiot. Thanks fellas.

jpn

The last two weeks I have seen more bikers than I ever saw in DM.

I pulled off and tried to give everyone 10 feet or so to pass.

Hopefully this will only be for a month or so.

I would echo the above sentiments about any continued riding in closed parks - it's only gonna hurt us if there is widespread disobedience.

Gravel riding, road riding, any kind of riding and outdoor exercise is better than none.

Hakimaki

This is not a Murphy power trip, people are dying that have no business dying. The man is just trying to save lives.
COVID-19 doesn't care about your yellow "Don't tread on me" flag.

I am a nurse, my wife is a nurse. Things are bad, we don't have the equipment we need to fight this thing. Do you know what it's like to go to work everyday and fully expect to get sick? We have 4 children that we can possibly infect or leave orphaned. I personally have said good bye to 4 coworkers already, it's gotten fucking real. Hospitals are fucking war-zones, nothing but death all around you. Just think about the opening scenes to Saving Private Ryan, death happening all around you and there is nothing you can do but keep going forward. Healthcare workers are stressed out, overworked, exhausted, and feel absolutely helpless.

I understand that people may feel like certain rights/privileges have been stripped away from them, yea I get it. But this is war, and in war we make sacrifice. It's not about you, its about us. And for us, you need to stay home. People often don't understand the gravity of a situation until it hits closer to home, I get that, but please learn the lesson without experiencing the death of a loved one.

Sure, I'll miss the trails too. I haven't been in the woods for my "therapy" in over a month, and yes I too feel like I'm going crazy. But I would prefer to still be around to enjoy them later, and to enjoy them with you guys. We are all adults, with brains capable of adapting to difficulties. So for now, stay home and ride the trainer, run up some stairs, start or renew an old hobby, whatever helps, but stay safe and alive.

Finally, please don't thank me for my "front-line service". I would do this for free if I had no need for money.
The healthcare team is not the front-line, the general population is. The fight is out there in the community, and you could stop its spread by staying home.

mntal

This is not a Murphy power trip, people are dying that have no business dying. The man is just trying to save lives.
COVID-19 doesn't care about your yellow "Don't tread on me" flag.

I am a nurse, my wife is a nurse. Things are bad, we don't have the equipment we need to fight this thing. Do you know what it's like to go to work everyday and fully expect to get sick? We have 4 children that we can possibly infect or leave orphaned. I personally have said good bye to 4 coworkers already, it's gotten fucking real. Hospitals are fucking war-zones, nothing but death all around you. Just think about the opening scenes to Saving Private Ryan, death happening all around you and there is nothing you can do but keep going forward. Healthcare workers are stressed out, overworked, exhausted, and feel absolutely helpless.

I understand that people may feel like certain rights/privileges have been stripped away from them, yea I get it. But this is war, and in war we make sacrifice. It's not about you, its about us. And for us, you need to stay home. People often don't understand the gravity of a situation until it hits closer to home, I get that, but please learn the lesson without experiencing the death of a loved one.

Sure, I'll miss the trails too. I haven't been in the woods for my "therapy" in over a month, and yes I too feel like I'm going crazy. But I would prefer to still be around to enjoy them later, and to enjoy them with you guys. We are all adults, with brains capable of adapting to difficulties. So for now, stay home and ride the trainer, run up some stairs, start or renew an old hobby, whatever helps, but stay safe and alive.

Finally, please don't thank me for my "front-line service". I would do this for free if I had no need for money.
The healthcare team is not the front-line, the general population is. The fight is out there in the community, and you could stop its spread by staying home.
The issue is that everything Murphy hands down is telling us what to do. We get told what to do enough, long before any virus. I am frankly tired of being told what to do. How about giving me a choice and I can figure out what is best for my family and those around me. I am sure a natural reaction to this is well, there are a myriad of stupid people that need to be told what to do. For that, there is natural selection. I feel terrible that we are overwhelmed but where does it stop - at what point are too many of our freedoms taken away and, how are you so certain we will get them back.

GreenMachine

Not surprising… road my bike over to Cheesequake Sat & Sun With ths dog and there were Groups of people walking andcongregating some even a picnic tables maybe they were family Maybe they weren’t? - some even sending their kids over to pet the dog. I was on the white trail it was desolate - shame this had to happen but people don’t follow the rules.

Johnny Utah

Allaire was filled last weekend, there were people standing in the middle of the trail causing congestion and blockages. Multiple families were congregating in open areas and the lots were packed with people congregating. It was only a matter of time. In general, the masses are stupid.

ryderX

I’m not feeling so good about my luck, I was skiing at Killington on the weekend of March 13th, went to bed and on March 14th they were shut down. Went out today for my first ride of the season, did a short loop at Six Mile and when I get home I find out, you guessed it Parks are shut down. WTF, but I still gotta go to work, somehow financial printing is essential. WTF again.
You’re like bad luck. Stay away from Allamuchy. LOL

Top Bottom