SS fattie

MTB Aussie

Is anyone running their fattie set up as Singlespeed?

Reason is I have ordered a new SS from jdog but it hasn't come yet and now I am getting the itch to get on a fat bike. Garage limit applies so I can't add another bike without it costing me half of everything I own ;)

If I thought I could use the fat bike where i usually ride SS I might go for it. Keep in mind I am a wussy SS rider since I use a 20 rear end unlike the muscle men with 18, 17 or 16 gears.

Does a FB with SS flow like a 29SS? The lower tire pressures make me think it would be more work.

:)

And at least double the weight, the 20 isn't so wussy at CR, alamuchy, wayway, etc

I read somewhere, 15% less then what you would use on your normal set up. That's in gear inches. This is just a ballpark number. It works for me.

Attachments

• 100_0624.JPG
    100_0624.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 197
just do it. don't think, just ride.
you'll be fine riding the fatty anywhere you'd run a normal SS

btw, a 20 in the back isn't wussy, I run a 21 almost everywhere and although small in stature, I don't think most would consider me wussy in the woods;)

I agree with this:

you'll be fine riding the fatty anywhere you'd run a normal SS

but if you intend on riding in conditions you would not take your SS, such as snow (sometimes deeper snow than you'd like) then consider sticking with the gears. That was my decision. Though I'd prefer to run mine as a SS, the full range of gears has come in handy, especially in snow and winter conditions.

I agree with this:

but if you intend on riding in conditions you would not take your SS, such as snow (sometimes deeper snow than you'd like) then consider sticking with the gears. That was my decision. Though I'd prefer to run mine as a SS, the full range of gears has come in handy, especially in snow and winter conditions.

I am starting to agree with you. I would love to say I am hardcore enough to ride the SS anywhere but that's not the truth. I would need gears. I think I just need to get a bigger garage, or sacrifice one of my other rides to make space. To be revisited..

I agree with Diesel. For what the fattie is best at (snow, sand, etc), gears make most sense. As for wussiness...I run a 22 on my SS 29'er...so I guess that makes me wussier than all you'z. :D

All on a single speed with 60 year old legs.

Attachments

• 100_0475.JPG
    100_0475.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_0473.JPG
    100_0473.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 152
  • R1-05173-0011.jpg
    R1-05173-0011.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 146
  • R1-05173-0009.jpg
    R1-05173-0009.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 138
I ran mine SS for about 3 months with a 34x19. I felt it could have used a harder gear but that combo let me not use a tensioner so I went with it. I rode it everywhere I'd ride with gears albeit the effort in sand was a bit much if you get bogged down in softer stuff...

-Jim.

Back
Top Bottom