Sram vs Shimano

C

CaptainImagination

Hey people I have Sram x7 stock equiptment on my bike right now. I was wondering what the general consensous was as to wich derailleur was better.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey people I have Sram x7 stock equiptment on my bike right now. I was wondering what the general consensous was as to wich derailleur was better.

Thanks

Better how?

They are both on their game from the recent back and fourth competition. I think that SRAM has better customer support by far but Shimano makes some really great parts and is still a more powerful company.

sram in my experience, ive had shimano xtr xt slx i think they are overrated. I got my first x7 drivetrain and i am very impressed, i will bw going with sram from now on. Sram is much easier to tune and seems to have more accurate shifting.

i prefer the shifting on sram's road stuff when compared to shimano's; however, shimano's shadow technology on their mtb line is really neat and keeps the rear derailleur noticeably closer to the frame than anything else on the market.

Did your rear derailleur break? I can tell you this is the only part on my new bike that I have not had issues with, and its works just fine. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Maintenance, etc:
I've ridden and worked on both. Shimano is ultra smooth, when its on, but its fiicky. If your cables gunk up a little bit, the shifting gets all jacked up and is a pain to adjust. I think it has to do with the shorter pull of the cables.

SRAM on the other hand, I've found that its virutally a "set it and forget it" drivetrain. Rarely do I need to adjust it, and to be honest, I dont clean up the cables often. This season has been particularly harsh on drivetrains with all the moisture we've had. I'm very impressed with how my X.O. stuff has worked.

Shifter feel:
Shimano has a really light feel where as SRAM has a positive "click" when you shift. This is personal preference, but I like the SRAM better.

Cassette/shift quality:
I dont think there's any question that the Shimano cassettes are better than the SRAM. The SRAM cassette is very clunky whereas the Shimano is super smooth and quiet.

My personal preference:
I like the feel of the SRAM shifters, but I like the smoothness of the Shimano shifting. I'm done with SRAM cassettes. From now on, I'll be running SRAM shifters and derailleurs with Shimano Cassettes. I don't think the chain makes much difference, so I'll run whatever I have handy.

Back
Top Bottom