Spartacus 2.0

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
We can rebuild him! Since we seem to have lost the original in the woods and our Chapter had the JORBA funds, I'm building a new one. @J-Dro got the plans online from some other mtb group (I can share if anyone wants) and I'm using it more as a guideline than exact instructions.
Supplies cost roughly $140 from Home Depot. Packages arrived kinda beat up and I later discovered I was either short-shipped 2 quick links, or 2 fell out of the small hole in the shipping envelope en-route (Quick chat with HD customer service and we're all good):
20191121_203909.jpg

Inner ring with first radial length complete as my initial "how's this going to go?" Test:
20191121_213759.jpg

Seems like it's gonna work so completed remaining radial lengths the next night:
20191123_204844.jpg

And this is how he sits for now. More to come when I get more time.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Archaeologist is going to find it, and explain how they moved rocks in the early 19th century.....

I can't find the shale bar we left at cush.... @Norm

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Need more background, what's going on here
If you don't know, now you know, Digga. "Spartacus" is a trailbuilding tool we used a lot at Sourlands. It's basically a net made out of chain with handles. You manhandle and roll a big rock into it, then get multiple people to grab a handle to lift and move the rock to its desired location. Here's the original in action on Chunky Monkey, shortly before he went MIA:
IMG_20170826_184800.jpg

qclabrat

If you don't know, now you know, Digga. "Spartacus" is a trailbuilding tool we used a lot at Sourlands. It's basically a net made out of chain with handles. You manhandle and roll a big rock into it, then get multiple people to grab a handle to lift and move the rock to its desired location. Here's the original in action on Chunky Monkey, shortly before he went MIA:
View attachment 111744
You mean all the features aren't ala mother nature? My grade 2 strain is throbbing at the moment

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Archaeologist is going to find it, and explain how they moved rocks in the early 19th century.....

I can't find the shale bar we left at cush.... @Norm

I have a vague idea where it is but not sure. I would need to go look. I imagine it's rusted now.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Outer ring installed. It's roughly symmetrical but probably not perfect. Not sure it matters but can adjust if needed. Middle ring is only thing left and something tells me I will need to buy a little more chain.
20191201_220747.jpg

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
and now that i'm looking at it, I definitely need to adjust. Near side is way more spread out than far side, hmmm.

moose35

@gmb3
You inspired me to make one of these for my local trail crew.
I've used one similar to yours in Ringwood but when I had all the parts in hand it was just too heavy to hike in and out of the woods and I thought there had to be a better way.
This is what I came up with. We use 2 rock bars to carry it though the 4 outer loops. We moved a bunch of rocks with it today with ease.
20191227_192019.jpg
20191228_102114.jpg
20191228_102051.jpg
20191228_102057.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@gmb3
I've used one similar to yours in Ringwood but when I had all the parts in hand it was just too heavy to hike in and out of the woods and I thought there had to be a better way.
This is what I came up with. We use 2 rock bars to carry it though the 4 outer loops. We moved a bunch of rocks with it today with ease.
View attachment 114712View attachment 114713View attachment 114714View attachment 114715

this is very interesting - i wonder if you could do it with a continuous wire rather than multiple circles???

well done.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
@gmb3
Very cool! I guess i should really finish mine.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
3 years later but...it's alive! And just in time for this Saturday's TM! Middle ring done. Yes, I need a couple more links to finish it off proper, but this will work. If wifey hadn't made me hang her punching bag last year I woulda had more than enough chain.
20220914_230620.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions