Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

phillychris498

i never checked if something clogged that little stream - it does seem to be worse.
the section before the approach to the stream has also gotten worse - where the line is left around the rock,
or over it (mostly over it)

View attachment 157771
Always assume the line on chunky monkey is over top of the large boulders. Stay out of the muck as much as possible... that’s what makes that trail so challenging, the tires are always gonna be caked in mud.

JPark

Looks likes Sourlands got some "infrastructure" upgrades! Nice build quality, but lacks enough lower lumbar support ;)
2021-05-19 11.04.05.jpg

JPark

Rode there today.
The area around post marker 7 is the only badly grown in area.
There is also a downed tree on the C Climb trail near marker 7. This could be dangerous if someone is descending that trail because it hidden by the growth and a bend in the trail.

Those new alt rocks lines around Roaring Brook look SICK!

JPark

Any one been here yesterday or today that can share conditions?
I was there yesterday. A little mud on the lower trails but upper mountain was dry. It was slippery in many spots but I think I just went too early in the morning.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Lower trails were good this evening - tomorrow should be primo. We also gave them a full haircut out to marker 7 at the 4-way. We did our best to rake off the debris but maybe top off your Stan's before heading out because we chopped a lot of prickers.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
There was a bit of rain in the area last night. Not enough to make mud, probably enough to make the rocks slick.

I cleared all the blow-down, on white->new shoes->roaring rock garden.
Looks like someone is putting branches in the lines through the rocks above the Nemesis,
that way the main trail goes through the mud pit 🤦
Cleared them - there are still some in the area before the connector intersects.

Rolled (and walked) Chunky Monkey - bunch of stuff down in there. Nothing that couldn't be dragged off the trails and rocks.
So that is good to go.

A few larger branches/trees across the pipeline on Montezuma - worse being one blocking the approach to the troll bridge.
That one was rotted, so it was an easy cut. All clear.

1629294451727.png

Rode down the center connector for the first time in forever. Cleaned it up a bit -
That trail is big-bike worthy. I was in survival mode.

I'm going to check Three Amigos, and the Riverbed Trail. If anyone gets up near Devil's Half Acre, let me know what you find.

Last edited:

JPark

There was a bit of rain in the area last night. Not enough to make mud, probably enough to make the rocks slick.

Looks like someone is putting branches in the lines through the rocks above the Nemesis,
Cleared them - there are still some in the area before the connector intersects.

Rolled (and walked) Chunky Monkey - bunch of stuff down in there. Nothing that couldn't be dragged off the trails and rocks.
So that is good to go.

A few larger branches/trees across the pipeline on Montezuma - worse being one blocking the approach to the troll bridge.

View attachment 165282

Rode down the center connector for the first time in forever. Cleaned it up a bit -

I'm going to check Three Amigos, and the Riverbed Trail. If anyone gets up near Devil's Half Acre, let me know what you find.
Center Connector could be a honorary Mt Creek tech trail

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

So that is good to go.

View attachment 165282

IIRC center connector was the OG sourlands beat my time (not the thread you made in 2012), however I am unable to find the thread

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Next week the Park Rangers have a large group of 45 Students coming to volunteer. JORBA donated a whole lotta pressure treated lumber (Thanks Tom!) to fix bridges. They also had some other todos on their list. Not sure what they'll actually get to and unfortunately I can't go down to join myself, but this is what they suggested:
  • Repainting the kiosk
  • Boardwalk rehab throughout the park
  • Trimming all trails back significantly
  • Spreading existing gravel pile over the seasonally wet spot north of marker #1
  • Garbage clean up near bouldering areas
  • Narrowing the trail from the TH to marker #1
  • Close all ATV trails near the Zion towers
  • Spotted Lantern Fly eradication throughout the park.
and i suggested:
1. Spread gravel over the lowest Pipeline crossing on the Orange trail - it's very wet in spring
2. Close shortcuts all over Yellow trail near Devil's Half Acre
3. Clear out existing drainage nicks on the lower trails

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions