Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

phillychris498

From Park Rangers. Do not know the reason. Might be too many people, might be someone got hurt.
ATTENTION:
We have closed the yellow trail at the connector. Devil's Half Acre and the yellow trial going around is CLOSED until further notice. The pink trail going through Devil's Half Acre is CLOSED until further notice.
For those who don’t understand the new blazing: is it essentially just all of goat ridge that’s closed?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Patrick

Staff member
Just to quote the source -

i may take a spin over there and hike up to check the way the water is flowing across maple flats.

rick81721

Lothar

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
so i got the official answer from the Park Rangers:

"This area is closed because a coyote has a den established with pups in the boulder field right off of a heavily used trail. We are going there today to take some measures to try and get the mother to relocate the den. When it reopens is dependent upon the results of these measures. Hopefully what we intend on doing works and we can reopen the area shortly."

Weird that the momma would pick that spot with all the traffic it gets. So it's really just the Devil's Half Acre boulder field area that's closed. I can only close a full trail on Trailforks, not a section, but you can probably ride both the beginning and end of Boulderama as out and backs if you like until this is resolved. I'm assuming the Rangers put up signage or caution tape though not exactly sure where.

Patrick

Staff member
This just in...

1618679035411.png

phillychris498

Just hit everything on the south side of the pipeline except river bed and it's primo. Even Chunky Monkey is dry enough. Get it tomorrow!
Awesome news. Hoping the trails drain quickly from Sunday's rain and it stays dry next week for my (at least) bi-annual trip to the Sourlands.

Patrick

Staff member
Go get some!

The TM last week for remediating the muddy spots is working out great! Even the lower maple flats trail has dried.

River bed trail has two bad wet spots, and some new deadfall (not blocking trail, just creating a water issue)
This is at the top of the alternate climb from the rock cairn.

1619539103802.png

another angle. There is a dry line over the rock, and high off the trail - will take some saw work to get it cleared.

1619539332669.png

------

Remember me slamming my back wheel into the log in @stb222's video?

well, someone decided it was just too difficult

1619538232408.png

I undecided for them. no problem working the point of that rock. The downhill is a bit of a weird position, but a couple practice runs will solve it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Go get some!

The TM last week for remediating the muddy spots is working out great! Even the lower maple flats trail has dried.

River bed trail has two bad wet spots, and some new deadfall (not blocking trail, just creating a water issue)
This is at the top of the alternate climb from the rock cairn.

View attachment 156534
another angle. There is a dry line over the rock, and high off the trail - will take some saw work to get it cleared.

View attachment 156535

------

View attachment 156533

I undecided for them. no problem working the point of that rock. The downhill is a bit of a weird position, but a couple practice runs will solve it.

Im confused, what changed with that log over? Looks like the log is in the same position relative to that 2" dia tree

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
top of Rock Cairn Alternate climb is Marker 6 and will likely be my first official TM spot. We started armor there in 2019 and that part is good but other parts got worse. Thanks for the recon, Patrick!

phillychris498

View attachment 156533

What trail is this feature on? My annual trip to the Sourlands will need to be soon. I always try to either revive an old feature I know about, or stumble into a new feature I've never ridden before whenever I go. This would be a new feature for me, I've just never seen it!

Patrick

Staff member
What trail is this feature on? My annual trip to the Sourlands will need to be soon. I always try to either revive an old feature I know about, or stumble into a new feature I've never ridden before whenever I go. This would be a new feature for me, I've just never seen it!

it is above roaring rocks. It is the usual line but tougher with the log there. End of https://strava.app.link/jvxEnvZrOfb
1619577503910.png

Going uphill, there is a more difficult line to the right that needs work.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions