Soundz Like Riding Short Time Many Time

serviceguy

The wife just picked up dinner in the backyard...am I safe? For reference the dish is the size of a medium pizza...
B62F984D-F6FC-47C6-8069-F37692675B59.jpeg

16DDD103-3545-4CB6-97B7-C20D180B9B61.jpeg

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The wife just picked up dinner in the backyard...am I safe? For reference the dish is the size of a medium pizza...
View attachment 139243
View attachment 139242

all good .. if the inside is starting to turn yellow/green it is no good

it doesn't have much of a taste though and the texture is kind of like tofu in that it's not firm and some people don't like that .. i like pickling it and i heard some people like to make pancakes and use it in place of dough for pizza though i have not tried those things

you may also want to consider what kind of chemicals (if any) were put into your lawn .. i have heard both sides of the argument, i.e. mushroom will absorb all the bad stuff from the ground vs mushroom will only absorb the things that it needs

one won't kill you, i'd probably eat it

serviceguy

all good .. if the inside is starting to turn yellow/green it is no good

it doesn't have much of a taste though and the texture is kind of like tofu in that it's not firm and some people don't like that .. i like pickling it and i heard some people like to make pancakes and use it in place of dough for pizza though i have not tried those things

you may also want to consider what kind of chemicals (if any) were put into your lawn .. i have heard both sides of the argument, i.e. mushroom will absorb all the bad stuff from the ground vs mushroom will only absorb the things that it needs

one won't kill you, i'd probably eat it
Thanks. No chemicals, the wife doesn’t want to hurt the wildlife (until they pillage her vegetable garden that is), but it’s on the edge of our leach field...

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How about this thing. Kinda scary looking...
View attachment 139256

You usually need the cap and underneath photos to get a proper ID on most mushrooms. Few require less info and many require more info (i.e. taste, habitat, bruising, etc).

That said, I'd guess the mushroom you have is Amanita amerirubescens group aka The Blusher. If it is in fact the blusher, it is edible. Many people get sketched out by the Amanita genus because it contains some of the deadliest mushrooms as well as some psychoactive ones that will make you sick if you don't prepare them correctly.

Btw, you can touch and even taste (spit it out) any mushroom, even the deadliest ones w/o any issues. In order to die, you have to ingest it.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Read the above and good luck !!

That wasn't a bad article. Most articles I see with titles like that are full of inaccurate statements. In general though, I like to avoid general "rules" and try to get an ID to the species. It's not that hard, you just post photos on FB groups and the people who have been doing this for all their life will tell you what you got.

That said sometimes it's not possible or very difficult to ID down to species based on just photos. I've eaten things following some general rules and after reading through many articles and posts about those mushrooms. I'll experiment with things that I know will not kill me, but has a small chance of making me sick.. I'll try a little bit, wait 24-48hrs then try some more. So far, I haven't run into any issues.

The general rules also don't help you ID the mushroom faster for edibility. If you know the ID down to species, you can look it up and will generally get edibility: deadly, poisonous, inedible, edible, choice edible, or unknown. If I don't know the species, now I have to read all these articles, search for things on FB, even sift through comments and try to determine if these rules apply to my mushroom .. in order to determine if I want to try this thing or not. It takes a lot of time.

There is a lot of fear around wild mushrooms (mychrophobia). Many of the books will tell you some mushrooms is poisonous or not to eat it because a few people got sick eating it. It's like any food, you can get food poisoning from any food, have difficulty digesting certain types of food, or be allergic something in the said food. They like to err on the side of caution, but we don't apply the same amount of caution to other types of food. I guess the caution is somewhat justified though based on sample size.

Last edited:

BPaze

You usually need the cap and underneath photos to get a proper ID on most mushrooms. Few require less info and many require more info (i.e. taste, habitat, bruising, etc).

That said, I'd guess the mushroom you have is Amanita amerirubescens group aka The Blusher. If it is in fact the blusher, it is edible. Many people get sketched out by the Amanita genus because it contains some of the deadliest mushrooms as well as some psychoactive ones that will make you sick if you don't prepare them correctly.

Btw, you can touch and even taste (spit it out) any mushroom, even the deadliest ones w/o any issues. In order to die, you have to ingest it.
So my wife advised me that if you taste a mushroom and it tingles then it is poisonous, how accurate is that?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So my wife advised me that if you taste a mushroom and it tingles then it is poisonous, how accurate is that?

Lol, I've never tasted or heard of a mushroom that causes any tingling. Not that it's impossible (allergy?). Yah definitely throw that rule away.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yesterday's score.

The one on the top left is Pholiota squarrosoides. Almost every book and article will recommend that you don't eat it due to reports of GI issues. After finding that some people do eat it w/o any problems and mulling it on and off for a year, I finally got the nerve to try it out. No issues.

The yellow'ish ones along the top are Armillaria mellea aka honey mushrooms. They cause GI issue in a fair amount of people, but many sites/people tell you it's fine to eat. Even chicken of the woods, which is considered a choice edible causes GI issues in a fair amount of people.

There is no consistency.

Morels, another choice edible, are poisonous if you don't cook them thoroughly. Most false morels can be cooked the same way to remove toxicity, but most of the guides tell you they are poisonous, which they are uncooked, but so are morels. Even the most poisonous false morels have been commonly eaten for ages in parts of Europe with the proper preparation. I think there is more fear with mushrooms in the USA than in other countries.

20200914-193338.jpg

Last edited:

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yesterday's score.

The one on the top left is Pholiota squarrosoides. Almost every book and article will recommend that you don't eat it due to reports of GI issues. After finding that some people do eat it w/o any problems and mulling it on and off for a year, I finally got the nerve to try it out. No issues.

The yellow'ish ones along the top are Armillaria mellea aka honey mushrooms. They cause GI issue in a fair amount of people, but many sites/people tell you it's fine to eat. Even chicken of the woods, which is considered a choice edible causes GI issues in a fair amount of people.

There is no consistency.

Morels, another choice edible, are poisonous if you don't cook them thoroughly. Most false morels can be cooked the same way to remove toxicity, but most of the guides tell you they are poisonous, which they are uncooked, but so are morels. Even the most poisonous false morels have been commonly eaten for ages in parts of Europe with the proper preparation. I think there is more fear with mushrooms in the USA than in other countries.

View attachment 139377
When you go, I hope it doesn't say it was because you ate the wrong mushroom. At least make it something cool, like sending it 150ft at Redbull Rampage after you at a bad shroom.

Top Bottom