Slate Valley Trails, POULTNEY VT

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cady Hill in Stowe is fun. The town of Killington is up and coming (not the ski mtn/bike park) with a lot of help from the Killington Mountain Bike club. You can now combine the Base Camp Trails with the Sherburne Trails and Gifford Woods(Pesky Cairn) for a fun day.

Agree with this. Stowe is solid but there are some hidden connectors that are not on the map.

Actually that describes all of Vermont.

onetracker

Cady Hill in Stowe is fun. The town of Killington is up and coming (not the ski mtn/bike park) with a lot of help from the Killington Mountain Bike club. You can now combine the Base Camp Trails with the Sherburne Trails and Gifford Woods(Pesky Cairn) for a fun day.
Did Gifford/Sherburne/KMBC combo yesterday and it was super fun. The KMBC trails are pretty raw which is interesting when combined with the other machine built stuff. Camping at Gifford is very nice.

kidzach

Did Gifford/Sherburne/KMBC combo yesterday and it was super fun. The KMBC trails are pretty raw which is interesting when combined with the other machine built stuff. Camping at Gifford is very nice.
Agreed on the rawness of those Base camp trails. Such different techniques of trail building. The connector between Sherburne and Hutchinson is grueling . Glad you enjoyed it

kidzach

They seem to be doing a lot of work in the Randolph/Rochester area which falls under RASTA. Green Mountain Trails are also under this umbrella if you will. These trails will become part of the Velomont Trail. Supposedly there are some good trails behind The Ranger Station in Randolph. I keep picking up tidbits from the locals. It'll be many years of work in the making, but this area seems to be the concentration point at the moment.

kidzach

looking for a brewery or great burger joint while in the area? Bent Hill Brewery in Braintree, VT. Worthy Burger in South Royalton

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How was it? You get wet?
Funny, obviously you're up here so you know it's moist. But we got there around 2:00 and the roads were drying coming in. Trails were ok, not perfect but no mud, no standing water.

We stayed on the Fairgrounds side. Did most of that with the exception of Cliffhanger, which I know you said to hit. The Big Top/Carnie loop was pretty greasy with the wet roots & rocks so we did not press our luck on the south segment. We may hit that up next Sunday on the way back because it seems full enough for a ride in itself.

There's a good chance we replace Pine Hill with this as our "first stop on Vermont" trail system. We were both definitely impressed by what we saw and both commented several times that we didn't hit a single trail you recommended.

Thanks for this thread. We'll be back!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, Porcupine for sure. Hit that last Wednesday before leaving Poultney. I would do the upper portion before sending to the bottom, hit Upper Birdie, loop back and do it all the way at the end.

Ok this is good feedback because I was looking at TF thinking exactly this. Glad you confirmed.

Seems the locals park down at the SP or country club and take the road to the south side, then go Rusty Bucket up the hill. I was going to do that, then Hardy's Hill to the very top, Rocky Ridge down based on something @onetracker told me. Lower then Upper Ledges, then maybe Hunker Down before Porcupine. Was also thinking Harry's Hop before doing what you mention here.

PS: decided to move this to a more pertinent place.

JDurk

Ok this is good feedback because I was looking at TF thinking exactly this. Glad you confirmed.

Seems the locals park down at the SP or country club and take the road to the south side, then go Rusty Bucket up the hill. I was going to do that, then Hardy's Hill to the very top, Rocky Ridge down based on something @onetracker told me. Lower then Upper Ledges, then maybe Hunker Down before Porcupine. Was also thinking Harry's Hop before doing what you mention here.

PS: decided to move this to a more pertinent place.
Did this last year with @KenS and our buddy Todd, and looks like it covers most of that side. https://www.strava.com/activities/5776790907

Yes, you can park at the golf course, there is a parking lot out front on Rt 30. Trailhead is at the back corner of the CC parking lot. There is a short flow trail at the end, then some climbing.

You can ride by bike into Lake St. Catherine S.P., they will charge you a day use fee if going in thru the guard shack with the car.

We parked at Endless Brook Trailhead last year, I rode to it each time this week.

There is a restaurant open to the public in the CC, and there's signage for that on the SVT towards the bottom.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

JDurk

1656517616052.png

We got there after sleeping in a truck stop parking lot the night before outside Saratoga. It was like 90deg and 100% humidity. So it was sorta demanding. We stopped a lot.

The Endless parking lot is small, no cars when we got there with Todd's Class C RV and my Tacoma pulling a 15' teardrop trailer. When we finished 3hrs later, yes the lot was full, but we saw no one on the trails the whole time.

Parking lot by the CC is bigger and in full sun, where the Endless lot is partially shaded. You could ride your bikes into the S.P. and take a dip in the lake at the day use beach.

Last edited:

JDurk

Fairgrounds Lot also provides lots of ride options, wifi and a bathroom. Lately, Injave been camping at LSC-SP and riding from the SP.
Can confirm the wifi and very clean porta potty at Fairgrounds. Apparently, there was an fundraising IMBA event in town last week for big $$$$$ donors. It's basically the only wifi available in the whole area. Verizon coverage is very weak in town, camp, basically everywhere. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

JDurk

It was definitely an event that involved IMBA. I'm sure many in attendance were connected with VMBA as well. When I arrived for the weekly Wed evening group ride, I was speaking to some of the locals who had lead the rides and were discussing their day. By the way they were talking how the day went, many of the riders were riding above their skill level on bikes that most can't afford. In other words, $$$$ donors.

Top Bottom