Skylands is CLOSED!!!!!!!

JR Zano

From Ringwood Ramapo to Pipeline....

10577199_10204402645856560_7687467795795485839_n.jpg

10527790_10204402644536527_7702907479405173580_n.jpg

I've ridden that trail 100 times and never saw anyone building or even riding those jumps. Who are these people anyway? So frustrating.

What are they going to do if you just get on it and ride it anyway? They don't do anything in Waywayanda. The official word I heard from work (I am in the corrosion industry and work with Tennessee Gas (aka Kinder Morgan)) that it is due to the pipeline work that is being finished.

The wife and I rode Skylands today. No clue regarding trail closure...untill halfway back from gas pipeline towards Warm Puppy. (we never crossed the pipeline on the Skylands trail). Sign was in the middle of nowhere, not at a trail intersection. Park website says it's due to work on the Pipeline. This section of trail does not intersect the pipeline. Complete B.S. This, they put signs up for, but no action on the ongoing trail vandalism.

What are they going to do if you just get on it and ride it anyway? They don't do anything in Waywayanda. The official word I heard from work (I am in the corrosion industry and work with Tennessee Gas (aka Kinder Morgan)) that it is due to the pipeline work that is being finished.

It's not because of the pipeline.

This is a sad situation!

The f''kers destroying and building illegal sh!t, putting the entire trail system in jeopardy of being closed to mountain bikers, have a big surprise coming.

OK, then why?, and why do we have to guess? If they feel they need to close the trail, which is in their authority, then how about an explanation? Don't we all own this park as a community?

It's not because of the pipeline.

This is a sad situation!

The f''kers destroying and building illegal sh!t, putting the entire trail system in jeopardy of being closed to mountain bikers, have a big surprise coming.

And this is why any and all illegal trail building needs to stop. It doesn't matter what park it is in the state will deal with it in the same way by closing the trails. What pisses me off is the people that build this type of stuff will ride this trail anyway. We need to not ride any trails that are not legit once the trails get burned in people can't tell that they are non-sanctioned and will ride them.
I have seen Allaire put trail closed signs up only to be torn down. OK... soap box mode off back to your normal programing... getting ready for Sunday TM.

So warm puppy and white are open and everything else is fine-just skylands is closed. :hmmm:
So much work put in to these trails its a shame to close them for one or two idiots. Let's hope they catch these jerks and then allow us to get back on skylands and ride it.

OK, then why?, and why do we have to guess? If they feel they need to close the trail, which is in their authority, then how about an explanation? Don't we all own this park as a community?

There's no formal explanation because of an ongoing investigation.

This sucks.

You guys are all too funny. I've come on here yelling about how alternate trails and rock build ups are not okay. And time and time again it gets justified....and now you're all up in arms.

I even spoke about policing each other and got ripped.

We are all at fault for allowing this to go on. People work really hard to build trails and then they get changed. And yes there are people on this board who are to blame.

If you see anyone changing the trail even to build up a log you need to say no that is not okay. Learn to ride it or walk it.

-Evan

image.jpg

Why don't we not draw conclusions and go with what the park web site say. The illegal building and trail vandalism has to stop but I've never seen a ranger in my 20 years riding ringwood on any of the trails unless they were in a vehicle on fire roads. There mtb trails and I don't think they care unless it was on a hiking only trail. Closed for pipeline

I'm confused on one thread you guys are encouraging people to ride illegal parks (Essex County). And now a small section off of Skylands that has a couple of 2' drops has everyone going crazy. I don't not hit that trail when I'm on Sky-lands, I'm sure everyone on here has ridden an illegal trail here and there. If you say you don't, you're probably lying. But for now on I'll avoid that trail if anyone's looking. JK

I spoke to some pipeline people today in ringwood and they told me the pipeline is done except for the substation...they said that they were going to be removing the "decking"(the log road) and then replanting and cleaning up...they said that you can only replant for a couple months in the spring and fall...they did not think that they are going to finish till spring....

The only reason the park would bother going up and closing it down is if someone complained or got hurt. Some of those 2' drops are fine and I doubt the park cares about them. Some of those 2' drops are over my 6'2" head and gap over the trail while others are over 5' and land in it. Those are the ones I think the park cares about.

Anyway, prob a good idea to stay off skylands on the weekends during peak time and let this cool off a bit.

To make things clear, this is not just about the illegal jumps. Yes, like Greek mentioned, a few of the jumps land on, or over legal trails and are of big concern to park officials for liability reasons.

However, the illegal builders have also destroyed/vandalize two new sections of trail approved by park officials.

It's a crime to destroy public land and so the ongoing investigation.

Such a shame it's still closed (signage still up as of last week)...It's definitely one of my must-hit trails every time I go to RW. I've played guide to 8 or 9 friends new to RW over the course of the summer and skylands is always on my tour and is always a huge hit among all the other amazing trails in the park.

Any new information regarding the closure or should I read between the lines from some of the above posts? I'm bringing another Ringwood newbie up tomorrow.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions