Skinsuit controversey

clutch

Post a photo of her in the skinsuit. I'll decide if it should be considered illegal:D

meh...not really a skinsuit with all those pads

2565631048_68661bb190_b.jpg

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I definitely agree that the Mojo/Orange skinsuits were horrid, as far as skinsuits go. The reflective black that looks like leather/latex is just a bit too gimpsuit for, well, anyone... ;)

2899-5.jpg

anrothar

entirely thrilled
There is an age-old debate as to weather or not that era led to the less than great reception of DH by fans, sponsors, and media. For example: Would a class fillled with riders all decked in skinsuits appeal to the bmx tight pants crowd or the execs at Monster? Prob not, although the tight pants thing is gay as well.

IDK, I am confusing myself, sorry if this dosnt read to good.

tomac and rockwell hurting the image for sponsors? not a chance. if the public isn't concerned with what pros are wearing, then neither are sponsors. look at big money pro team sports. the players dress fucking rediculous. sponsors are drawn to entertainment.&_

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
tomac and rockwell hurting the image for sponsors?

look at big money pro team sports. the players dress fucking rediculous. sponsors are drawn to entertainment.&_

First off, I dont really have an opinion on those guys, I was focused on MX at the time and could have cared less. It was the look that was not well received, not the performance of an individual.

It would be a better comparision to make between FMX, BMX, snowboards, or skaters for this conversation. To compare a DH guy to A-Rod would be a mistake. But if you look at snowboarding, there is alot of emphasis put on fasion as opposed to function.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
But if you look at snowboarding, there is alot of emphasis put on fasion as opposed to function.

True, but snowboarding is almost entirely judged on style, not speed, and their outfits don't hurt them much either way anyway, whereas downhill is all about speed. We may oogle over JD's style but Sam's times will always get him the mag covers. Truth is, I don't think downhill is going to get more popular being MX lite. It's got to be it's own thing. And I think at some point we should start thinking about FR and DH in very different lights.

s4lnj

this was actually a debate in the bmx world last year-- but the uci said no skin suits. the austrailian guys were wearing them. wade boots and kamakazi.

THATmanMANNY

I think they should be allowed. I think it's silly to have reg's on a skinsuit but with any other type of racing people wear them. If they can have aero full face helmets why not allow a skin suit? They can wear them only if they don't make them so ugly though OR they should just wear really tight jerseys and semi baggy pants then.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Just what we need- a UCI commissar walking around the pits with a set of calipers measuring fabric pull on racers' kits. Awesome.

Maybe they'll just add it to the drug testing regimen for the top 20. Pee in a cup and let the commissar pinch your fabric... ;)

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I have no active connection to the DH/FR world, being a road racer/XC guy who has no skills for big air and drops, but it seems to me that this is the same form vs. function issue that XC riders have. I often have a laugh talking about the spandex with non-cyclists, noting that cycling clothing is only good for cycling, that it looks pretty goofy outside of its intended realm.

There's no way that baggy stuff is functionally advantageous over close-fitting cycling clothes, so aesthetics is really the only argument available, as far as I can tell.

As much as I admire Tomac, I thought he looked pretty comical in that Saran wrap suit back in the day.

dhsean

Aaaaah, Chris you got enough skills to comment. Being fast is a skill.

It's just that those dam tights are so expensive and you don't want to fall and tear them. You have seen my tights - shredded - it's a pitty. I wear the tights under my baggy DH shorts to keep the legs tight and the boys close. The shorts help to protect from road rash in a fall and do add a little psychological confidence. Besides we like to make motor cycle noises when we ride and look like big boy motocross riders.

All the DH'ers get a kick when I strip down in the parking lot and run around in my geeky bib knickers. :D

Rob Munro

All the DH'ers get a kick when I strip down in the parking lot and run around in my geeky bib knickers. :D

not all.

;) j/k.

hey, I say wear whatever makes you happy. you'll always ride better when you feel like everything is set up just right, including your clothes and armor.

Last edited:

brybry57

I ride with spandex on when I ride my mtb but I would not even consider it when I race motocross. The baggy clothes offer protection and allow free movement, spandex will rip and tear during a high speed or impact crash but my No Fear gear stays strong. Going as fast as the downhill guys do, with all of the rocks you would want the thickness of mx gear.
n570037231_1050584_4905.jpg

Ibis97

Happy Now?
As much as I admire Tomac, I thought he looked pretty comical in that Saran wrap suit back in the day.

Like it or not that "Saran wrap suit" helped him go faster no doubt. if he raced in loose fitting clothing vs the skin suit the drag from the loose clothing make him slower. We're talking fractions of seconds probably, but some times, that's all it takes... :D

Top Bottom