skiing/snowboarding (downhill)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, @Dominique can chime in but @JimN has a good first step, Tremblant.

She also says Mount Saint Anne, which is the other direction, towards Quebec City.

There are like 45,000 options, either way. I would suggest @Zaskar ask D for more specifics.

Zaskar

Yeah, @Dominique can chime in but @JimN has a good first step, Tremblant.

She also says Mount Saint Anne, which is the other direction, towards Quebec City.

There are like 45,000 options, either way. I would suggest @Zaskar ask D for more specifics.

Yes, this was a broad question. I guess my ask was for any first hand info from anyone that has skied MSA or Tremlant and where they stayed.. I'd really like to make it to the Chic-Choc's but that's not going to happen with wife and kids in tow.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I guess my ask was for any first hand info from anyone that has skied MSA or Tremlant and where they stayed..

I skied and/or snowboarded at Tremblant like fifteen years ago. We stayed in one of the hotel/resort type places right on the mountain, but I have no idea which one. The accommodations and mountain were both excellent. So basically, I have no real info other than "I liked it."

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have skied Mount Blanc. It was good for kids. Plus it's cheaper than Tremblant. @Dominique can describe a dozen other places I am sure.

Tremblant with a family is going to cost, especially if you stay in the area. They run an Ironman up there now so the place has probably gotten absurdly expensive. We stay with D's parents so we don't have to pay anything.

The Kalmyk

Mt Creek over the weekend. Had some fun with fam and friends but the weekends are absolutely crazy over there. Lift lines weren't bad at Vernon or Granite but it's kind of like skiing in midtown traffic.

South is brutal. The features are great and really well set up but the "scene" is idiotic. It's basically an open bar with yahoos yelling send it and smoking butts. And the litter is something l'll never understand. Who raised these people?? The Trashheap?

As seen on the Granite lift line.....Id take these two all day over "riders" at South.
View attachment 62445

They won the Glenn Plake clothing auction

Gnick

went to hunter mountain last thursday. the morning was pretty good, but after lunch anything steep was a sheet of ice. it was my first time up there and i was actually impressed by the terrain. if conditions are good its plenty fun. However, you can tell that it would be nuts on the weekends.

Reactions: don

Gnick

went to hunter mountain last thursday. the morning was pretty good, but after lunch anything steep was a sheet of ice. it was my first time up there and i was actually impressed by the terrain. if conditions are good its plenty fun. However, you can tell that it would be nuts on the weekends. i was surprised how many people showed up after noon.

ktmrider

My neighbor is a pro kayaker and he asked me if I wanted to skin up to the top of the divide and get some sweet turns in , the pain above 11000 ft reminded me of silverton a few years ago . Love this lifestyle and love the fact that it's 10 mins from my house
IMG_2309.PNGIMG_2310.PNG

Zaskar

This East Coast weather is really sucking. Skiing MRG on Friday which looks like we'll be starting in the r-word and then snow showers. Sat/Sun at Sugarbush.

I can't catch a break.

One more trip planned to Killington during the first weekend of March. Anyone want to bet it will r-word?

roc

Anyone ever ski Quebec that can offer some suggestion where to go? Thinking about a trip for Easter which falls very early this year (4/1).

I've been to Mt St Anne and it was really fun, but it is forever away.its typical New England skiing, cut trails, ice if it hasn't snowed in a while, but you feel like you're in Europe( not tha skiing), but the atmosphere. Everything is in French and just pretty cool.
If I were you, I would just see who's got the best conditions a few days before you go and then make your plans, you will definitely be able to get lodging. Most people are thinking golf or beach by the first week of April. You'll bet abLe to get a killer deal wherever you go. If you're with kids, I'm sure jay will have some insane deals.

Zaskar

Thanks @roc for the details. These plans are going on hold for another year as kitchen reno is getting started sooner then later.

Grampaaah

Stoneham, and Le Massif are both awesome. Stoneham is about 20-30 mintues outside of quebec city, Massif is an hour+, they also have the roedeling thing which is a fun time.

don

The last 2 weekends in Stowe were pretty damn good especially considering the temperature's up and down movement.

This past Sat and Sunday was a nut house with President's Day weekend break. I did early mornings and it worked out very well. Saturday we were on the chair at 7:45 and left at 11:00 when things were getting busy. There was 3-4" of new on Friday night but total ice underneath. Low angle runs weren't bad at all but the snow was getting beat up with all the people. Then Saturday night there was 4-5" of new snow so Sunday AM was a powder day! First couple laps were on trail and fun and all but stuff was groomed with 1-3" on top. I smartly headed into the woods and found the accumulations of the last 2 nights plus stuff that came off the trees - my guess some spots close to 10-12" :D Got in 5 runs before leaving at 9:30 to head down to Middlebury with my daughter for a lacrosse clinic. I kept my ski gear on for the drive and after dropping her off I made my way up to Middlebury Snow Bowl. It's a total throwback of a ski mountain but with a great family vibe and lots of fun. I cranked out 6 very enjoyable laps with the new snow they got the night before. Even found a nice run thru some of their open woods.

Hoping March brings steadier cooler temps so the precipitation that comes thru is white ;)

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
The last 2 weekends in Stowe were pretty damn good especially considering the temperature's up and down movement.

This past Sat and Sunday was a nut house with President's Day weekend break. I did early mornings and it worked out very well. Saturday we were on the chair at 7:45 and left at 11:00 when things were getting busy. There was 3-4" of new on Friday night but total ice underneath. Low angle runs weren't bad at all but the snow was getting beat up with all the people. Then Saturday night there was 4-5" of new snow so Sunday AM was a powder day! First couple laps were on trail and fun and all but stuff was groomed with 1-3" on top. I smartly headed into the woods and found the accumulations of the last 2 nights plus stuff that came off the trees - my guess some spots close to 10-12" :D Got in 5 runs before leaving at 9:30 to head down to Middlebury with my daughter for a lacrosse clinic. I kept my ski gear on for the drive and after dropping her off I made my way up to Middlebury Snow Bowl. It's a total throwback of a ski mountain but with a great family vibe and lots of fun. I cranked out 6 very enjoyable laps with the new snow they got the night before. Even found a nice run thru some of their open woods.

Hoping March brings steadier cooler temps so the precipitation that comes thru is white ;)

This weekend was pretty amazing up there. There was powder to be found well into the afternoon on both days if you knew where to look. I appreciated that the mountain kept a bunch of trails "closed" on both days to keep the traffic to a minimum.

Zaskar

^^^^What these guys said^^^^

Considering the up and down weather the weekend was great. Hit up MRG on Friday for the first time since I was a kid and had a blast. My son got the first chair and we skied until about 3. Most of the steeper tech stuff was closed but we did get to ski Catamount Bowl, Canyon, and Lower Glade. Surfaces started out hard but was totally ski-able and softened as the morning progressed. Snow started around noon and it began filling in a bit. Goodtimes.
20180216_104630.jpg

20180216_141950.jpg

Saturday we skied Sugarbush's Lincoln Peak with clear blue sky in the morning. After having our eyes opened at MRG we knew the natural snow trails would be interesting and they were. Got out at 9:00 and did everything two or three times. Castlerock was open and the boy continues to improve with steeper bumps. It awesome to see and we're pushing each other out of our comfort zones. Highlights were Castlerock Run, The Mall and Steins which was groomed and basically a GS course. Finished with a waffle and dark and stormy.

20180217_070716.jpg
IMG_20180218_190524_642.jpg20180217_110126.jpg20180217_160605.jpg

Woke up Sunday and was excited to see the predicted snow showed up. Packed up our stuff had a quick bite said goodbyes to our hosts and headed to Mt Ellen to get our first chair at 8:15. Hit up the all the lower mountain stuff Tumbler, Cliffs, etc....Snow was blowing and filling up deeper in spots and it was killer. Did the upper mountain once the chairs opened and were blessed with deep snow on Exterminator and FIS. Did a few more runs in the woods and called it a day at noon. Crowds overall weren't bad considering holiday weekend and didnt wait longer then five minutes in the longest line.

20180218_074223.jpg20180218_105639.jpgIMG_50421.jpg20180218_102044.jpg

don

This weekend was pretty amazing up there. There was powder to be found well into the afternoon on both days if you knew where to look. I appreciated that the mountain kept a bunch of trails "closed" on both days to keep the traffic to a minimum.

Yup - I noticed some roped off things on Sat that I thought could have been open and totally agree that the mtn ops kept them closed was the smart thing to do.

I wish I could have stayed at Stowe longer on Sunday as I noticed a lot of people weren't going into the woods (3 laps in the woods and I was the only one). I believe the Epic pass was blacked out at certain levels (college pass) so that combined with the "holiday" users and I'm sure there was plenty of good conditions all day in the right spots ;)

Top Bottom