Single speed conversion - tensioner?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want to convert my old c-dale Trail to single speed because it's always been a mechanical disaster and I don't want to dump any real money into a drive train. I'm completely new to single speeding and wondering if there is more to it than I thought. I was just going to order some spacers and an 18t or 19t cog, but almost all the conversion kits I see include a tensioner. I'm also seeing "single speed" specific chains. Is all that necessary? I like the clean look without a tensioner if possible, but again the whole point of this is to eliminate frustrating mechanicals so I don't want to be dropping my chain constantly. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

My $.02 is that unless you have sliding dropouts or an eccentric BB, you're going to want to use a tensioner of some sort. You might get lucky and have a "magic" combo that fits together perfectly but the chain will wear and make it loose at some point.

As to the chain, I'm probably doing it wrong but I use whatever I have laying around that isn't worn out.

You’ll need a tensioner. Assuming that the frame has vertical dropouts, the only way to avoid a tensioner is to “magic gear” it, which i don’t recommend unless you have a stockpile of chainrings and cogs to play with. The chain will depend on what the other parts of your chainring are. If you use, say an 3/32” cassette cog, you will need a compatible chain (8 speed chain in this case.)
An old derailleur can be used as a tensioner, but I have zero experience with that. I recommend the Paul tensioner, as they are not all equal.

I have both a Yess tensioner and a Surly Singleator tensioner, new/never used. Would part with either one cheaply if you're interested.

My SS bikes have always been track ends, EBB, or rockers. You're going to need a tensioner. I've been using 9sp KMC chains for a few years.

I was also going to say I have a tensioner that I’d sell cheap, but both of Jim’s options are better than mine.

I think 9 speed chain is the nice sweet spot in strength, availability & price. Also seems to work with the new narrow-wide front gears.

Definitely get a tensioner. The Yess one is probably your best bet from Jim. The two-pulley ones are generally the best, biggest issue is how large of a gear you can have in the back, many only support up to 18T.

Buy a wider cog setup if possible. https://problemsolversbike.com/products/drivetrain/cog_carrier_-_30911 is nice as it's very wide and won't dig into your hub. Regular skinny steel cogs that come up with the inexpensive kits will dig into an aluminum hub.

If you need spacers to position that cog, ask a bike shop for old cassettes they're going to throw out. A bunch of spacers from two old cassettes are perfect, as is the lock-ring.

I've used any chain that fits with no ill affects. I did have a chain break once on a climb and my thigh slammed into the stem or handlebar and I walked with a limp for 2 months. So you might want to use a heavier chain. Whipperman is probably strongest. But I still haven't learned my lesson and use whatever is lying around. To be fair, the chain that broke was pretty well rusted and probably cut and put together a few times.

Using the push up position on the tensioner looks neater in my opinion:

1128365d1490423998-chain-tensioner-comparison-fb_img_1490423814869.jpg

You can throw a zip tie or rubber bands around the tensioner and chainstay because sometimes the springs in those tensioners are not very strong. I used a $5 tensioner for years using zip ties with no ill affects.

All of what @soundz said. The Surly is shit, but it works and is neater (keeps the SS look) over something like the Problem Solvers/Yess/Paul. The spring is not very strong like mentioned and you have to take care not overcranking it or the spring pops out when isntalling, but it's fine in most cases. Just ride with hair scrunchies or zip ties in case it fails. I am currently running the Surly in push up mode. Always push up. Down does not provide enough chain wrap in most cases and may skip. The Problem Solvers double pulley works well too. I used that one when I ran SS on my full suspension for singlespeedapalooza and will still work as well on a hardtail.

awesome...thanks for the help, fam. @soundz that surly actually looks pretty low profile.... @JimN is that the same one you have laying around?

I had luck on both 97 jamis road bike that I put close 5k as a commuter and a motobecane with a magic gears.

The Yess tensioners are the best, Paul makes an eccentric the works with threaded bb brilliantly (expensive). By a good chain, the breaking thing. I'm currently having very good luck with XTR chains

The Yess tensioners are the best, Paul makes an eccentric the works with threaded bb brilliantly (expensive). By a good chain, the breaking thing. I'm currently having very good luck with XTR chains
Is chain more likely to snap on SS? It would make since assuming a derailleur gives some sort of relief. Plus, brute force of SS’ing.

This thread was conveniently timed for me as I'm gonna convert on old hardtail to SS. I hadn't even considered I might need a specific type of chain. From what I understand, most modern chains are 3/32? Does anyone use 1/8? Will I die if I use an 11 speed XX1 chain?

Back
Top Bottom