Single speed conversion - tensioner?

This thread was conveniently timed for me as I'm gonna convert on old hardtail to SS. I hadn't even considered I might need a specific type of chain. From what I understand, most modern chains are 3/32? Does anyone use 1/8? Will I die if I use an 11 speed XX1 chain?
1/8” is reserved for cogs that are actually 1/8”, basically just bmx and fixed track applications. Using 1/8” with narrower cogs will increase likelihood of dropping your chain. 11 speed chain will only work if your using a cog from an 11 speed cassette. If your using ss specific cogs use 3/32 (8,9,10 speed chain).

1/8” is reserved for cogs that are actually 1/8”, basically just bmx and fixed track applications. Using 1/8” with narrower cogs will increase likelihood of dropping your chain. 11 speed chain will only work if your using a cog from an 11 speed cassette. If your using ss specific cogs use 3/32 (8,9,10 speed chain).

Roger that. Thanks!

I ordered a 3/32 cog and plan to reuse the existing chain on the bike, it’s a 10spd. I’m not too worried about it.

This thread was conveniently timed for me as I'm gonna convert on old hardtail to SS. I hadn't even considered I might need a specific type of chain. From what I understand, most modern chains are 3/32? Does anyone use 1/8? Will I die if I use an 11 speed XX1 chain?

I use them interchangeably, as long as they fit both parts. A properly aligned/tensioned chain is no more likely to drop with 1/8th instead of 3/32. It will definitely be noisier, though.

Take the opportunity to go buy a full-bushing chain if you can/want to fit 1/8. Durability is higher than average "cheap" derailleur or other half-bushing chain. Wippermann Whitestar is good, and can be had cheap.

I use them interchangeably, as long as they fit both parts. A properly aligned/tensioned chain is no more likely to drop with 1/8th instead of 3/32. It will definitely be noisier, though.

Take the opportunity to go buy a full-bushing chain if you can/want to fit 1/8. Durability is higher than average "cheap" derailleur or other half-bushing chain. Wippermann Whitestar is good, and can be had cheap.

Thanks for the advice! I guess my main concern would be the chain snapping. Is there any more likelihood that a 3/32" chain would fail in a situation where a 1/8" chain would not? I don't want to find out the hard way.

None, assuming you do your homework well, and the chainline is straight. The pins/plates themselves don't fail from in-line force; sideways forces can break the peening in the end of the pin, allowing a plate to separate.

Success
1585419423156.jpeg
1585419453530.jpeg
1585419513647.jpeg

Yeah I’m happy with how it turned out. Got the surly tensioner off of @JimN. I need to get a tool to play with the tension a little bit but it’s doing it’s job as is. I’m running 32:18 for now, just did a quick spin and yeah it spins out instantly on flats but I think it will still be good and challenging on the climbs around here.

Back
Top Bottom