Shoes for hike-a-biker

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I hike a bike quite a bit. Not because I can't ride thru a certain section but more so to conserve energy for the fun stuff ahead. Ok fine... certain sections I can't ride. Happy now?

Anyways, looking for a new pair of shoes. My current shimano is beat to poop from all the walking I guess. I am thinking five ten might be better for me. I clip in if that matters.

1. Which nnj LBS has a good inventory? I saw that cycle craft carries them. Any others?

2. Any recommendations for durability?

Looks like REI carries five ten and there is one around work.
Gonna try to stop by during lunch one of these days.

I went from clip ins to flats with 510s recently. I like the 510s, lots of grip but easy to get off the pedals. I'm sticking to 510s

Went ahead and ordered Five Ten Men's Impact VXI on closeout for $90

Thank you all

s1600_Five_Ten_Impact_VXi_Clipless_Team_Black.jpg

You won't regret it. I switched from Shimano clipless shoes to 5-10 flats this summer and have not looked back. The tackiness on rocks is incredible. You'll find that you can push yourself further in some situations knowing if you need to step off you won't have to worry about sliding around and falling.

You won't regret it. I switched from Shimano clipless shoes to 5-10 flats this summer and have not looked back. The tackiness on rocks is incredible. You'll find that you can push yourself further in some situations knowing if you need to step off you won't have to worry about sliding around and falling.
This is good to know. Now the only thing I am concerned is the sizing.... read couple of reviews that they said it fits like a Nikes which in my opinion runs a little small.
I ordered the 5-10 in the size I usually get for Nikes. Hope it fits well cuz I hate returning things.

Hope they work for you but my experience with 5.10 spd is there on the stiff side not good for walking . My go to for walkable spd is shimano with the torbal sole , flexes in just the right places for comfy happy feet when walking.

I wear Shimano MT90 boots from late fall to spring. Vibram outsoles have very good grip and don't slip on rocks. They are still in excellent condition after 5 (or more) years.

Shimano replaced MT90 with XM9.

Last edited:
Ditto on that. If you pair the 5-10s with a good spikey pedal your not going to slip off. Ive used the Raceface Chesters and just switched over the the One Up Components composite pedals. The pins in these are like spikes.
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/comp-pedal

Went ahead and ordered Five Ten Men's Impact VXI on closeout for $90

Thank you all

s1600_Five_Ten_Impact_VXi_Clipless_Team_Black.jpg

This version is prone to failure. They have since revised it. Hold onto your receipt as 5-10 has a good warranty. They replaced 3 pairs for me before the design was revised.

This version is prone to failure. They have since revised it. Hold onto your receipt as 5-10 has a good warranty. They replaced 3 pairs for me before the design was revised.
That's good to know. Thank you.
But what kind of failures so that I can keep an eye for it should it happen.

Last edited:
What problem did you have? I have a pair of the newer Impact XVI's that I was just sent under warranty. On the pair they warrantied the sole on the side of one of the shoes started peeling after 7 miles. This pair is so far so good even after walking down a stream in them. I also have a pair of freeriders they warrantied for for me after 10 months of use. The bottom soles started peeling on them. They do have great customer service and warranty.

I hike a bike quite a bit. Not because I can't ride thru a certain section but more so to conserve energy for the fun stuff ahead. Ok fine... certain sections I can't ride. Happy now?

Anyways, looking for a new pair of shoes. My current shimano is beat to poop from all the walking I guess. I am thinking five ten might be better for me. I clip in if that matters.

1. Which nnj LBS has a good inventory? I saw that cycle craft carries them. Any others?

2. Any recommendations for durability?
Been using Magnum Tactical boots with Welgo MG1 flat peddles for 5 years of intense riding and use 12 months out of the year. Finally wore the boots out and am now starting with a new pair.

Back
Top Bottom