Shimano SLX vs XT

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
Ok folks. My Niner MRC frame had been staring at me too damn long. Im looking at either SLX or XT for the build. I notice in Quality I can get the SLX group kit for about $200 less than the XT kit. Is XT worth it?

In my opinion, all the shimano shifters feel the same until you hit xtr. You are basically paying for weight. I don't know the complete group weight of both, so it's hard to say what kind of weight savings you are paying for. Are you getting everything including brakes? I really love the xt brakes, probably my #1 favorite shimano component right now. Maybe a mix of the two would work out good.

I really love the xt brakes, probably my #1 favorite shimano component right now. Maybe a mix of the two would work out good.

X2

I have XT brakes on 2 of my bikes and love them. :cool: I have ridden a bike with SLX and I really could not tell the difference between the feel of the brakes though.

Ok folks. My Niner MRC frame had been staring at me too damn long. Im looking at either SLX or XT for the build. I notice in Quality I can get the SLX group kit for about $200 less than the XT kit. Is XT worth it?

Eh, it's really up to you. If you are a weight weenie or building up a XC race bike, than yeah the XT is probably worth $200 more for the full group. If you are just trail riding, the 1/2-pound weight savings (most of which will be in the crankset) isn't that significant.

Maybe grab the XT cranks and SLX everything-else?

If you can wait a but longer it will be worth it. The 10 sped stuff will be shipping any day and the 9 speed stuff will not be supported after this season.

SLX for the money is hard to beat.

so J I should wait to put some gears on my rig and run it a 1X10 ? is there gonna be a big step up in price for the new ish?

If you can wait a but longer it will be worth it. The 10 sped stuff will be shipping any day and the 9 speed stuff will not be supported after this season.

SLX for the money is hard to beat.
shipping already. That was fast

Are there 10 speed specific cranks too?

Are you buying a Kit package or individually?

If you’re buying individually. Sometime you can mix and match with sram stuff to get the price and weight down. Most bikes come with mix of components now. Just keep the derailleur and shifters the same company. The crank and cassettes can be changed.

If you’re buying individually. Sometime you can mix and match with sram stuff to get the price and weight down. Most bikes come with mix of components now. Just keep the derailleur and shifters the same company. The crank and cassettes can be changed.

Definitely mix and match. If you're building it up yourself you can cherry pick the parts that will fit your needs and budget the best. Personally, I like the SRAM shifters and rear derailleur paired with a shimano cassette. The shimano cassettes are way better than the clunky SRAM units in my opinion.

For the cranks, I'm just guessing here but I think the difference between the SLX and the XT is pretty much in the rings and chainring bolts. XT probably uses mostly aluminum in the rings and bolts, whereas the SLX is most likely steel. The steel will be heavier, but its bombproof. I like the look of the SLX better, so if I were buying a budget crank for a 1x setup, It'd be SLX. A couple friends run the XT cranks and they're great. You really can't go wrong either way.

thanks.

Im going to mix-n-match. Have my sights on Middleburn Single chainring and cranks. and SRAM x-9 rear and triggers. Prob Formula RX brakes or Avid Elixr CRs.

Back
Top Bottom