Serviceguy's angst...or how I cope with life by cobbling bikes (not a thread about pizza).

does he have any carbon fat bike wheel sets he's looking to unload?!
I still have these rims (Nextie 26"x 90mm carbon rings) See my post of 10/27 for details. Was asking $200 -- how does $150 sound?:

1574366203810.png

1574366296488.png

1574366419517.png

Also still have these aluminum Fatback wheels: DTSwiss BR710 rims (26" x 80mm, aluminum) with Fatback Alaska Edition hubs. Shimano hub driver. Was asking $250 -- would you believe $200?

1574366889494.png

I still have these rims (Nextie 26"x 90mm carbon rings) See my post of 10/27 for details. Was asking $200 -- how does $150 sound?:

View attachment 111373
View attachment 111374

View attachment 111376

Also still have these aluminum Fatback wheels: DTSwiss BR710 rims (26" x 80mm, aluminum) with Fatback Alaska Edition hubs. Shimano hub driver. Was asking $250 -- would you believe $200?

View attachment 111377

I have a 2018 Mukluk large frame arriving next week. What are the specs on the aluminum wheels?

If you are the original owner, yes.

I just purchased the frame, the seller is an authorized Salsa Dealer and I just paid the PayPal invoice for it as proof of purchase. Also had him install the BB and headset, which should qualify as 'authorized dealer assembled' as per warranty specs. I will have to rely on a certain Salsa authorized dealer for everything else...do you know any?;) Looks like I maybe able to make in on the beach for Global Fat Bike Day...

P.S. Do I have to grow my beard back ?

I just purchased the frame, the seller is an authorized Salsa Dealer and I just paid the PayPal invoice for it as proof of purchase. Also had him install the BB and headset, which should qualify as 'authorized dealer assembled' as per warranty specs. I will have to rely on a certain Salsa authorized dealer for everything else...do you know any?;) Looks like I maybe able to make in on the beach for Global Fat Bike Day...

Beards are for Hipsters now.

I have a 2018 Mukluk large frame arriving next week. What are the specs on the aluminum wheels?
Let's see, looking what I already posted (DTSwiss BR710 rims, 26" x 80mm, aluminum, with Fatback Alaska Edition hubs), I guess I should have mentioned that they are a 150mm front, 197mm rear thru axle wheelset. I have some 15mm thru axles, two of which I think would work with the front wheel, but that may depend on what you'll be running for a front fork (if it would work, you'd be welcome to one of the thru axles). I don't have a 12mm thru axle for the rear wheel. Also, if you would want to run these tubeless, I think you may need a strip of "Gorilla Tape" or the equivalent to fully seal the rims (they have fairly large cut-outs). On the other hand, there's a black rim strip in place which might be sufficient -- I'm sure that @jimvreeland or your favorite LBS could clarify whether anything else is needed.

Let's see, looking what I already posted (DTSwiss BR710 rims, 26" x 80mm, aluminum, with Fatback Alaska Edition hubs), I guess I should have mentioned that they are a 150mm front, 197mm rear thru axle wheelset. I have some 15mm thru axles, two of which I think would work with the front wheel, but that may depend on what you'll be running for a front fork (if it would work, you'd be welcome to one of the thru axles). I don't have a 12mm thru axle for the rear wheel. Also, if you would want to run these tubeless, I think you may need a strip of "Gorilla Tape" or the equivalent to fully seal the rims (they have fairly large cut-outs). On the other hand, there's a black rim strip in place which might be sufficient -- I'm sure that @jimvreeland or your favorite LBS could clarify whether anything else is needed.

Fork is the standard one that comes with the frame, 15x150. Rear is 12x197. I do believe $200, what is the condition of the wheelset? This thing is coming alive, I need a name for it...how about Mukky?

I think we have a fit (150/197). Is the frame coming with thru axles, by chance? The wheels were run for a couple of months, tubed, right after I bought my Fatback Skookum. Soon after that, I went to my Nextie carbon rims, tubeless. The rims are in great shape -- could almost pass for "new." No dents/deep scratches. There are a couple of superficial imperfections, the worst of which I've photographed below. Otherwise, the third photo is more the norm:

1574372186890.png

1574372241576.png

1574372296214.png

And, "Mukky" could work...

They are shipping to you? I saw an absolutely killer deal on a mukluk carbon frame in my size but no shipping allowed. Had to justify the loss to myself that I would have cracked the jutting down tube anyway on a rock or log. ☹️

I think we have a fit (150/197). Is the frame coming with thru axles, by chance? The wheels were run for a couple of months, tubed, right after I bought my Fatback Skookum. Soon after that, I went to my Nextie carbon rims, tubeless. The rims are in great shape -- could almost pass for "new." No dents/deep scratches. There are a couple of superficial imperfections, the worst of which I've photographed below. Otherwise, the third photo is more the norm:

View attachment 111386

View attachment 111387

View attachment 111388

And, "Mukky" could work...

No, just the frame, fork, bb and headset. Are the wheels true? I think we have a deal...where are you located? Coming up north anytime soon?

No, just the frame, fork, bb and headset. Are the wheels true? I think we have a deal...where are you located? Coming up north anytime soon?

i want in on this ride!
so i have some 3m shrinkwrap that people are using instead of gorilla tape to save weight. In case you want to try the tubeless method.

now need to decide color of decorative strip! (hint: purple)

i want in on this ride!
Sure, you most definitely deserve it. Thanks again for the quick test last week.

so i have some 3m shrinkwrap that people are using instead of gorilla tape to save weight. In case you want to try the tubeless method.
Definitely going tubeless. Don't know on a fat bike, but it sure worked well so far for me on the Fug (well, minus the Cranks experience that is). How is this different from duct/gorilla tape?

Also, I think I am going t rename the Fug as Fuggy...

now need to decide color of decorative strip! (hint: purple)
Ah, not my thing. I mean pinstriping, I do like purple. Just doesn't really work with the Yellow/Olive Green of the frame.

I don't like your Title. My Fat Bike is 20 pounds flat. It's the lightest bike I own, including my Road bike.

The wheels are true -- very few miles on them. The "decorative strip" is currently black (see photos). It seems to be glued to the inside of the rim, but I don't know if that's a sufficient barrier to allow use of sealant (hence my recommendation to seek a professional opinion). If not, then I'm sure that Pat's 3M shrinkwrap is an option. Due to tube weight, running tubeless on a fatty makes a big difference.

I live in North Plainfield -- where are you located? I'm sure that we could arrange to meet somewhere in the middle. It might make sense to wait until you receive the frame -- when do you expect delivery? Then we could slip the front wheel into the fork to see if you could use one of my thru axles. I imagine that you could buy a rear thru axle directly from Salsa...or perhaps there's a generic that fits.

David

The wheels are true -- very few miles on them. The "decorative strip" is currently black (see photos). It seems to be glued to the inside of the rim, but I don't know if that's a sufficient barrier to allow use of sealant (hence my recommendation to seek a professional opinion). If not, then I'm sure that Pat's 3M shrinkwrap is an option. Due to tube weight, running tubeless on a fatty makes a big difference.

I live in North Plainfield -- where are you located? I'm sure that we could arrange to meet somewhere in the middle. It might make sense to wait until you receive the frame -- when do you expect delivery? Then we could slip the front wheel into the fork to see if you could use one of my thru axles. I imagine that you could buy a rear thru axle directly from Salsa...or perhaps there's a generic that fits.

David

Ahhh, I'm a complete fat bike ignoramus! That strip! Black is fine. I do like my wheels black. All my wheels are actually fully black (hubs, spokes, nipples, rims) with the exceptionof a vintage rim brake set build in raw aluminum.

I live in Ringwood and work in Secaucus. I guess I can make a 'small' detour and drive on 78 and the jump on 287 north, unless you're planning to ride up north soon.

Back
Top Bottom