Sandy Hook Re-opens May 1

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Beach ride there that weekend anyone? Best I can tell there's at least 6 miles of beach to ride from the Navesink/36 bridge north to the hook, that's 12 miles round trip.

The whole loop around the Hook is 20 something miles, I've done it a few times. Depending on the day I'd be down....

-Jim.

This is also really good news for us locals that ride the road there regularly. I was wondering what the deal was, I conservatively was hoping for Memorial Day weekend.

Hey Jim/Chris...have you ridden the beach there in the past? Just wondering since it's part of the National Park Service whether there are any specific prohibitions on riding on the beach itself.

I've ridden the beach all the way around. I haven't been yelled at by anyone yet but I actually have no idea if it's legal or not...

-Jim.

Hey Jim/Chris...have you ridden the beach there in the past? Just wondering since it's part of the National Park Service whether there are any specific prohibitions on riding on the beach itself.

I've ridden the beach all the way around. I haven't been yelled at by anyone yet but I actually have no idea if it's legal or not...

-Jim.
I'd imagine it's no hassle, at least during the off season, or even on early weekday mornings in season. Lots of the "beach" there is is fairly unimproved.

I tend to agree that if it's off season we should be fine. When I rode the beaches on Long Island it was late November and no one paid us any mind (other than smiles and curious looks). However, it it were primo summer time, I can imaging the Lifey's giving us stick.

As we get nearer to the date let's take a roll call and see who's game...if we can go midweek, so much the better, but I'd consider an early Saturday on a weekend if that works for the rest of you'z.

We got booted out of the nesting bird areas, otherwise its all good. That is seasonal anyway. We spoke with the ranger while riding. No issue.

Getting closer to the date...anyone up for a fat posse jaunt on the beach to get ready for summer? I'll defer to local experts on logistics (parking, etc) and any other suggestions. Thinking either Sat 4th or Sun 5th.

I work on weekends from here on out so it might be hard for me to join. If you guys met early on a Sunday I may be able to hop in...

-Jim.

I might be up for this. I read somewhere that the park will not be fully open right away. Some of the beaches and parking lots are not ready to roll. Not sure what this means for a potential beach ride. Maybe one of us can go down there and scope it out beforehand.

NPS Press Release

Here's the latest....Looking good...see boldface

http://www.nps.gov/gate/planyourvisit/index.htm

Gateway’s Sandy Hook Unit reopens to public May 1

Gateway National Recreation Area will reopen the Sandy Hook Unit to the public for the first time since Hurricane Sandy beginning Wednesday, May 1. A ceremony at 10 A.M. will mark the reopening, with U.S. Congressman Frank Pallone in attendance.

“We have been looking forward to this moment since the storm hit us and we’ve worked hard to make it happen this soon,” said Sandy Hook Unit Coordinator Pete McCarthy. “Employees and volunteers have literally dug out beach centers and parking lots, and pumped out flooded basements, we’ve even rebuilt sand dunes and replanted beach grasses.” Work will continue this summer as more services are restored and roads continue to be repaved.

After the opening ceremony Congressman Pallone will address the group, which will include the Marine Academy of Science and Technology (MAST) Color Guard who will be on hand to present the colors. These MAST high school students’ campus is located in the park and their campus was flooded during the storm. The students will finish the school year at an alternate location, host their graduation at Ft. Hancock and will return to Sandy Hook for fall classes.

The gates will open at 5 A.M. to accommodate fishing. Maps of fishing areas are posted on Gateway’s website. Beach F, a favorite spot for fishers, will be accessible by walking up the coast from Beach E.

Beach parking is free until Memorial Day weekend, when beach parking will again cost $15 per day. The park will open all parking areas on May 1st, and is intending to open the beach centers on Memorial Day weekend. Beach parking permits will go on sale beginning May 1st at 9 A.M. at the front gate. Beach parking permits cost $75 for the season, the same as last year.

--MORE--
Beaches B, Gunnison and North will be open to the public. North and Gunnison are lifeguard-protected beaches from Memorial Day through Labor Day during the hours of 10 A.M. to 6 P.M. Beach B is not lifeguard protected. Beaches C, D, and E will also be guarded during the summer season. While the sewage system undergoes repair, beach centers will use portable toilets.

Like the rest of the New Jersey coast, the recovery of Sandy Hook is still a work in progress. Electric, telephone, water and sewage services were all incapacitated by storm. These services are largely but not entirely restored. Throughout the summer, the park will continue to rehabilitate damaged beach centers, sections of the multi-use path and other affected areas. Details are still being worked out for food service but it will be limited for the summer. Ray’s Bike Rentals will be returning to Sandy Hook again this summer, however bikes will only be available for rent at Fort Hancock. The Visitor Center at Spermaceti Cove was one of several buildings damaged by the hurricane and will remain closed at this time.

I can't do May 1, but am aiming for Sat 4th or Sun 5th AM....Dawn Patrol would be ok too, this way Jim can join us (at least Sunday).

Went to Sandy Hook today.It was still closed.saw some huge street lights down on their sides near the entrance.Only contractors were allowed in and out.The bike path and sidewalk into the park was covered with sand.But I could see black top after the entrance.There was no one around to ask any questions.So I rode south on RT 36.Sea Bright and Mommouth Beach are still in rebuild mode.Dumpsters in the road,nails ,screws,metal , all kinds of construction debris.It was amazing I didn' get a flat.And Sand ,sand is everywhere.The shoulder has sand and the beaches have hills of sand from the Hook to Asbury Park.(that was I far as I rode) Around Deal the road is in great shape.(go figure)no sand or construction debris.There are contractors working everywhere.Trucks are hauling wood and supplies up and down RT 36.The concrete path from the Hook to Mcloones is covered with sand,unridable with skinney tires.Mcloones is closed since the storm but has a sign that it will rebuild.The lower end of the henry Hudson trail also known as the bayshore trail is closed.This is the section that goes through the marina along the water.Also Seven presidents Park is closed from storm damage.Thats my report,there is allot of work to be done.

Anyone game for an early Sat 5/4 ride? NPS says it's open, radio announced the other day it's open, but dirtdog's recon earlier this week gives me pause. Anyone have up-to-date 411? If no good, I'll try another date....but hope to get there before Memorial Day to avoid the crowds.

Any status updates here? I'm thinking of heading down in a few to explore, if it's closed I'll just ride Hartshorne.

-Jim.

Back
Top Bottom