Ryan Leech Unbeleivable!

OMG that's incredible. It's amazing what the human body is capable of doing.

Hey, when's the first TM at Tourne? I want to get to a few this year.

Agreed, I was back there today and things aren't looking so hot, somebody has ripped out most of the barriers you guys put in and it seems like many people are using the old red trail instead of the switchbacks.

That is friggin' sick!!!!!!! Who even thinks up lines like that, those "skinnies" were the skinniest. I have no skills and am ashamed to call myself a mt. biker.:mad:

Line

That is friggin' sick!!!!!!! Who even thinks up lines like that, those "skinnies" were the skinniest. I have no skills and am ashamed to call myself a mt. biker.:mad:

dude, i can't even ride in a straight line, let alone trust myself to ride over a bridge.

Agreed, I was back there today and things aren't looking so hot, somebody has ripped out most of the barriers you guys put in and it seems like many people are using the old red trail instead of the switchbacks.

I saw a load of hikers there on the weekend. I'm wondering if they prefer the original route. I noticed it looked a bit open when heading up the switchback part.

I saw a load of hikers there on the weekend. I'm wondering if they prefer the original route. I noticed it looked a bit open when heading up the switchback part.

You see, hikers are a problem!!! we should ban them from the trails :getsome:

If I came upon this trail setup in the woods I would think no way, no one can take a bike through that maze. Seeing is believing, Leech has balls.

leech is good but he don't have snizzle next to some of these guys....

Those are fightin' words. ;)

Benito Ros is a trials legend, and beyond reproach, but mod trials is d-e-a-d. Leech's fluid style and creativity paired with his speed and balance moves is definitely the big thing going in trials/street now. Yeah, there are plenty of other great trials riders- the Zoo and Echo guys put out some great vids, the English street trials guys kill it- but natural trials has hit a plateau where those guys aren't doing anything more interesting than what Ros or Ot Pi did over a decade ago. Leech (and Lenosky too, for that matter) are pushing trials into "what's next"- a style-based trials that looks good on film and isn't just a bunch of nerds hopping around on their rear wheels.

I've loved trials ever since seeing videos of Hans Rey at a NORBA national in the late 80's, but it's always been out on the fringe. Thank goodness for guys like Leech and Lenosky who've brought it back into freeride mountain biking and made it relevant again...

Those are fightin' words. ;)
Thank goodness for guys like Leech and Lenosky who've brought it back into freeride mountain biking and made it relevant again...

Agreed, hence why they ride bikes with seats....

I guess I have a skewed view on some of the street trails stuff...I rode trails, switched to bmx for 6 years and then came back to trials. Alot of the stuff I see for the urban stuff was done on bmx bikes years ago...The trials aspect of it obviously brings a different dimension but some of the manual stuff in the video just seems silly next to street bmx.

Last edited:
Alot of the stuff I see for the urban stuff was done on bmx bikes years ago...

I agree with you there, too, which is why a lot of straight-up "street" mtb stuff doesn't look that impressive. The real challenge for the guys is to find a style that uses the strengths of the mountain bike so that it's not just a poor approximation of street bmx.

But the important thing about Leech is that he's brought an ethic of "style" to trials- it's not just about pulling off a certain trick, you have to do it smoothly without correction hops. That, and you have to admit that the Kranked 6 "Shore trials" segment is one of the most creative trials-based video segments ever filmed!

But the important thing about Leech is that he's brought an ethic of "style" to trials- it's not just about pulling off a certain trick, you have to do it smoothly without correction hops. That, and you have to admit that the Kranked 6 "Shore trials" segment is one of the most creative trials-based video segments ever filmed!

The correction hops "manifesto" is a fine one indeed and insanely difficult. Yes, the "trail" in Kranked 6 is insane and it is no doubt one of, if not the, most creative trial segments. DO you think he ever actually made it through the whole thing in one run?

some of you guys who have not scene trials stuff before will like these...leech is good but he don't have snizzle next to some of these guys....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs10O64wabM

leech had every one of that kids moves, only higher, farther and smoother, in 2000. check out the video evolve. he wasn't doing sprocket grinds, but seriously, any chump with a decent chain or bashring and mediocre trials or street skills can sprocket grind. there are others out there who certainly trump him, bu that kid isn't one of them.

his newer stuff, where he's removing setup hops from his game make his stuff just about the smoothest and most flowing out there.

i have evolve on vhs and would be willing to lend it out.

filmed in 2007(?)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dW3PIOP4fwU

leech had every one of that kids moves, only higher, farther and smoother, in 2000. check out the video evolve. he wasn't doing sprocket grinds, but seriously, any chump with a decent chain or bashring and mediocre trials or street skills can sprocket grind. there are others out there who certainly trump him, bu that kid isn't one of them.

his newer stuff, where he's removing setup hops from his game make his stuff just about the smoothest and most flowing out there.

i have evolve on vhs and would be willing to lend it out.

filmed in 2007(?)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dW3PIOP4fwU

I have manifesto if you want to see the whole thing, kinda short but some good stuff. yes, removal of set-up hops is quite the challenge, espacially on the natty stuff in the video. ok, bad example with the one video.

you all got me, i just can't get by his hair:p

for the record, i give mad props to ryan and anyone who can even come close to the skills these guys have. anrothar, i know you rode trials and know how much it takes to get to this level, especially the front wheel stuff.

Back
Top Bottom